Dual Survival Utah

I thought the rotenone plan was to kill off the brookies to reintroduce native cutthroats. I've never heard anything about using it to introduce browns since they aren't native.

And for some reason I thought you guys had won that fight. Apparently I was wrong...

we did win the fight but from what i was told they did it anyway in secret. a local happened upon them while they were doing it.
you are right about the cutthroats though.

we did win the fight but from what i was told they did it anyway in secret. a local happened upon them while they were doing it.
you are right about the cutthroats though.

That sucks. When did they do it? Seemed like there were still a ton of brookies in Boulder and Deer Creek when I went through there in 2013. (Thanks again for the lift! :))

That sucks. When did they do it? Seemed like there were still a ton of brookies in Boulder and Deer Creek when I went through there in 2013. (Thanks again for the lift! :))
I'm not sure. It could have just been rumor. or highly localized to the upper portion of Boulder Creek around the powerplant. I know the initial plan was for that area. they use an additional chemical (kerosene) to neutralize the rotenone and i believe they had planned to put that in just above town. so it wouldn't have affected the population downstream. as i said, it was word of mouth, so it might not be true.

I'm not sure. It could have just been rumor. or highly localized to the upper portion of Boulder Creek around the powerplant. I know the initial plan was for that area. they use an additional chemical (kerosene) to neutralize the rotenone and i believe they had planned to put that in just above town. so it wouldn't have affected the population downstream. as i said, it was word of mouth, so it might not be true.

I worked for the DNR a few summers ago and we used the Rotenone/ Kerosene method in the gorge to rid it of Red Shiner. It was a pretty interesting process. Had to go in weeks before hand catch all the natives (woundfin minnow for example), then they transported them to St George. The process of transporting fish is insane matching water temps and.... Long story some of the guys worked a 24+ hour shift to get the fish moved and transported.

I worked for the DNR a few summers ago and we used the Rotenone/ Kerosene method in the gorge to rid it of Red Shiner. It was a pretty interesting process. Had to go in weeks before hand catch all the natives (woundfin minnow for example), then they transported them to St George. The process of transporting fish is insane matching water temps and.... Long story some of the guys worked a 24+ hour shift to get the fish moved and transported.

that's pretty amazing and awesome that such a huge effort was made to move those fish. I wish that kind of effort was occurring here.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
Seldom Seen Anderson Cody Dual Survival General Discussion 2
Yellowstone 1 Dual Survival General Discussion 15
fossana solo white rim day trip on the dual sport Off Road 11
Chuck the Mauler Best dual use camera? Photography 6
R Survival Stories from Utah hikers General Discussion 0
WasatchWill Incredible grizzly attack survival story General Discussion 7
SirDonB Survival Bracelets and keychains Gear 1
Aldaron Ultimate Survival Alaska General Discussion 21
Bryan Mordt Earl Backcountry Survival Tablet Gear 2
SteveR SE Utah Bugs in May? General Discussion 3
B Southern Utah March suggestions? Trip Planning 5
desertvic Howdy from rural Utah Noobs: Introduce yourself! 1
Ugly Floating Island- Utah Trip Planning 8
Normie Invite Looking for shuttle partner -- two trips in Southern Utah Meet Up (Members Only) 5
J Identify the spot Utah: I don't know where it is General Discussion 2
BeardoMcGrath Oh look yet another Utah conditions thread: mid May 2023 Trip Planning 9
Vegan.Hiker 8 day trip to Utah Trip Planning 10
ww.joedirt.do Hello from Utah! Noobs: Introduce yourself! 0
Martyn Hi from Hurricane Utah! Noobs: Introduce yourself! 1
B Good trips in Southern Utah given current conditions Trip Planning 26
saltybird SE Utah NPs in April Trip Planning 13
C Grand Gulch Cedar Mesa Utah 11 Day Backpack October 2022 Backpacking 10
T Amazing Discovery in Utah-Glen Canyon Trip Planning 65
V four day backpacking trip in southern Utah starting this weekend Trip Planning 4
regehr recent Utah meteorite General Discussion 0
TrailScot "I Would Walk 500 Miles ..." - A Utah Adventure - April 2022 - Final Part Backpacking 11
TrailScot "I Would Walk 500 Miles ..." - A Utah Adventure - April 2022 - Part 5 Backpacking 3
TrailScot "I Would Walk 500 Miles ..." - A Utah Adventure - April 2022 - Part 4 Backpacking 10
TrailScot "I Would Walk 500 Miles ..." - A Utah Adventure - April 2022 - Part 3 Backpacking 4
TrailScot "I Would Walk 500 Miles ..." - A Utah Adventure - April 2022 - Part 2 Backpacking 5
TrailScot "I Would Walk 500 Miles ..." - A Utah Adventure - April 2022 - Part 1 Backpacking 6
Rudolf_The_Red Hello from BFE, Utah! Noobs: Introduce yourself! 4
H location of thirteen faces-horse canyon Utah Hiking & Camping 4
TrailScot Dripping Canyon to Grand Gulch, Cedar Mesa, Utah - March 2022 Hiking & Camping 7
H Horse Canyon needles district Utah Off Road 0
S Howdy from Utah!! Noobs: Introduce yourself! 0
D jackets found in southern Utah Noobs: Introduce yourself! 0
kwc Southern Utah Accommodations Question General Discussion 10
C Utah Mountains in Late May Trip Planning 12
CodyL Southern Utah in January Backpacking 14
T Southern Utah Backpacking ideas for MLK Weekend? Trip Planning 21
U greetings from southwest Utah Noobs: Introduce yourself! 3
Jumper84 Hello from Kearns, Utah Noobs: Introduce yourself! 0
Parma The Best Arch in Utah is... General Discussion 20
Jazerrad Parunweap Canyon / The Barracks (Utah) Trip Planning 4
TrektheWorld Utah Trip - last weekend of October 2021 Meet Up (Members Only) 2
garyhost Cedar Mesa Utah Trip. Conditions? Water? Trip Planning 8
GramaNana Newbie Overnight with REI gear - Farmington, Utah May 2021 Hiking & Camping 12
GramaNana Seeking Short Overnights in Utah General Discussion 5
AnneMarieO Food protection in SE Utah? General Discussion 2