Drought Watch - California

Bob

Trailmaster
11330_10153170844587390_354864428083552084_n.jpg

Makes good news copy, but I don't anticipate having any trouble finding water on the trail.

Not the point, you may find water ....... but how long can it go till LA can't find adequate water.

LA is not my problem. It will rain again someday - we were all bitching about too much precipitation in 2011.

Not the point, you may find water ....... but how long can it go till LA can't find adequate water.

In most aspects, LA deserves whatever it gets from this but from my perspective, a far greater problem will be fire. The problem isn't going to be confined to CA. I'm fully expecting to be booted from the NF around these parts sometime in August if the current weather patterns hold.

And hopefully my house will not be contributing to the smoke.

Hopefully not.......
The plight their extends up into Washington over to parts of Idaho, Utah Arizona and New Mexico.

In most aspects, LA deserves whatever it gets from this but from my perspective, a far greater problem will be fire. The problem isn't going to be confined to CA. I'm fully expecting to be booted from the NF around these parts sometime in August if the current weather patterns hold.

And hopefully my house will not be contributing to the smoke.

Amen. This is so much bigger than a few trips into the backcountry. And it is also much bigger than a year or two of rainfall. The entire California aquifer is depleted without any real expectation that it will come back.

Hopefully not.......
The plight their extends up into Washington over to parts of Idaho, Utah Arizona and New Mexico.
The last week and a half, I've been busy with the chainsaw. There are a couple acres close to the house covered with a dense shrub thicket-Columbia hawthorn-most of it dead-, mountain maple with it's usual dead stems, chokecherry, dogwood, elderberry, and a few small doug firs. 25 years back, I just used the Cat and dozed a bunch of that stuff out a few hundred yards away from where the house sits now, but I want to retain as much as possible as screening from the FS road. So all the thorns along with any other dead wood are being cut out. Hopefully that will be enough so the grass yard buffer will keep the place from lighting off-probably from the inside out from broken windows.