Dolly Sods Wilderness

mak1277

Dolly Sods Wilderness is a 17,000 acre wilderness area in West Virginia, about 3 hours from the DC Metro area. It's described as a high altitude plateau and includes a variety of different ecological zones (high meadows, bogs and forests are all present). While I've never been there, I imagine that hiking in Dolly Sods is reminiscent of being in Scotland.

I took a day off work on Friday and drove up to do a one-night trip, approximately 11 miles each day. sign.JPG

The area was used during WWII as an artillery training range for the Army. In addition to the sign above, there is also a sign that tells you what to do if you find un-exploded mortar shells (hint: don't touch). It was really foggy when I arrived, with temps in the 60s...nearly 20* lower than where I was coming from. The fog made for an eerie walk through the forests and high meadows for the first few miles.

boardwalk.jpg haunted forest.jpg web.jpg

As the fog burned off, I turned south and walked along a rocky, windblown ridge. There were numerous wind-shaped rocks along the way, as well as a few nice overlooks into the Canaan Valley.

canaan valley.jpg rock.JPG

As I made my way lower in elevation I entered the woods. My path took me along a nice stream, complete with waterfall, but also allowed me to experience the only true negative in the Wilderness...mud. The entire place drains very poorly, and there are some trails that force you to walk through knee-deep mud for miles. Fortunately, I avoided most of the really bad stuff this trip.

waterfall.jpg mud.JPG

My campsite for the night was off-trail, at the end of a tenth-mile rock scramble. The reward for my effort was a fantastic viewpoint overlooking the Lion's Head (can you see it?) and the Red Creek Canyon.

lions head.jpg lions head vista.jpg

For the gear heads in the crowd, my fancy feast stove in action:stove.JPG

Day 2 was a much nicer day, and the trails took my past the forks of the Red Creek (with a ton of amazing campsites), and more lovely meadow walking. In the third picture you can see the effect of the constant wind on the trees.

red creek.jpg meadow2.jpgmeadow.jpg

As much as I like keeping my favorite places less crowded, I have to highly recommend Dolly Sods for anyone in the East/Mid-Atlantic area.

Featured image for home page:
slide.jpg

Nice! Been on my list for years. This and the Cranberry area. I've kayaked and XC skied in the area, but still need to get over there and backpack.
Unexploded ordnance just makes it more "exciting".

Nice! Been on my list for years. This and the Cranberry area. I've kayaked and XC skied in the area, but still need to get over there and backpack.
Unexploded ordnance just makes it more "exciting".

I've been to Cranberry too...personally I like Dolly Sods quite a bit more.

Nice report @mak1277. I personally love the feeling of being in deep thick woods like this. Gives a nice contrast when you hit an open viewpoints and meadows.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
BJett Dolly Sods Wilderness - West Virginia Backpacking 17
wsp_scott 3 nights in the Dolly Sods (WV) Backpacking 9
wsp_scott Dolly Sods and kids again Backpacking 2
wsp_scott Dolly Sods spring Backpacking 9
wsp_scott Dolly Sods (WV) with my kids Backpacking 8
McKee80 Dolly Sods June 2017 Backpacking 6
Flaminghog2099 Dolly sods? Trip Planning 1
Bob Teton Wilderness July 2024 Trip Planning 38
TractorDoc Yellowstone's Thorofare and the Teton Wilderness 08/09/2023 - 08/18/2023 Part Nine / Day Nine + Ten! Backpacking 20
Mikjik86 Backpacking Indian Peaks Wilderness - King Lake - August, 2023 Backpacking 0
TractorDoc Yellowstone's Thorofare and the Teton Wilderness 08/09/2023 - 08/18/2023 Part Eight / Day Eight Backpacking 14
shredhiker Ansel Adams Wilderness October 2023 Backpacking 12
TractorDoc Yellowstone's Thorofare and the Teton Wilderness 08/09/2023 - 08/18/2023 Part Seven / Day Seven Backpacking 13
randakag Rawah Wilderness "Lollipop" Loop - September 2023 Backpacking 7
TractorDoc Yellowstone's Thorofare and the Teton Wilderness 08/09/2023 - 08/18/2023 Part Six / Day Six Backpacking 28
TractorDoc Yellowstone's Thorofare and the Teton Wilderness 08/09/2023 - 08/18/2023 Part Five / Day Five Backpacking 16
TractorDoc Yellowstone's Thorofare and the Teton Wilderness 08/09/2023 - 08/18/2023 Part Four / Day Four Backpacking 15
TractorDoc Yellowstone's Thorofare and the Teton Wilderness 08/09/2023 - 08/18/2023 Part Three / Day Three Backpacking 10
TractorDoc Yellowstone's Thorofare and the Teton Wilderness 08/09/2023 - 08/18/2023 -- Part Two / Day Two Backpacking 6
TractorDoc Yellowstone's Thorofare and the Teton Wilderness 08/09/2023 - 08/18/2023 --Part One / Day One Backpacking 10
TheMountainRabbit Bob Marshall Wilderness - September 2023 Backpacking 8
marquiri Uncompahgre Wilderness Trip Planning 13
TheMountainRabbit Dana Meadows to Twin Lakes via the High Route (Yosemite/Hoover Wilderness) - August 2023 Backpacking 8
TheMountainRabbit Invite Bob Marshall Wilderness, September 2023 Meet Up (Members Only) 0
TheMountainRabbit Silas Canyon (Popo Agie Wilderness) - August 2023 Backpacking 3
C What's a good insurance company for Wilderness Trip Outfitters Trip Planning 1
RockyMntCol Cloud Peak Wilderness Loop Trip Planning 1
TheMountainRabbit Southern Absaroka & Thorofare Mountain (Teton/Washakie Wilderness) - July 2023 Backpacking 23
J Pacific Creek or North Buffalo Fork? Teton Wilderness, Thorofare ,etc. Trip Planning 10
Bob Teton Wilderness Trip Planning 2
shredhiker Eagles Nest Wilderness June 30 2023 Backpacking 7
W Paper map for Teton Wilderness (Younts Peak) Gear 4
forest dweller The story of a frustrated middle aged suburban wilderness lover! General Discussion 35
wabenho Big Pine Lakes – John Muir Wilderness Backpacking 6
canadug Jarbidge Wilderness General Discussion 12
C Teton Wilderness Early July Trip Planning 16
travel2walk Gros Ventre Wilderness: Granite Creek, West Fork Crystal Creek, Crystal Creek, & Swift Creek - June 2021 Backpacking 8
F 12 days in Wyoming's Teton Wilderness, part 9 of 9, 7-29 & 30, /2022 Backpacking 5
F 12 days in Wyoming's Teton Wilderness, part 8 of 9, 7/28/2022 Backpacking 5
F 12 days in Wyoming's Teton Wilderness, part 7 of 9, July 26-27, 2022 Backpacking 13
F 12 days in Wyoming's Teton Wilderness, part 6, 7/25/2022 Backpacking 17
F 12 days in Wyoming's Teton Wilderness, part 5 of 9, 7/23-24, 2022 Backpacking 10
F 12 days in Wyoming's Teton Wilderness, part 4 of 9, 7/22, 2022 Backpacking 4
F 12 days in Wyoming's Teton Wilderness, part 3 of 9, 7/20-21, 2022 Backpacking 2
F 12 days in Wyoming's Teton Wilderness, part 2, 7/19/2022 Backpacking 4
F 12 days in Wyoming's Teton Wilderness, part 1, 7/15-18, 2022 Backpacking 13
kwc Round Lake, north central Adirondacks, in the Round Lake Wilderness On The Water 2
scatman Pacific Creek, Moss Lake and Gravel Lake - Teton Wilderness - October 7, 2022 Backpacking 32
balzaccom These guys had quite the wilderness experience... General Discussion 0
balzaccom Mok Wilderness in the fall Backpacking 1