DeLacy to Dogshead

Jackson

I ❤️ GYE
August 4-6, 2023

This was originally going to be a trip with a full crew of 8 people. Due to various circumstances, that group got whittled down to 3 by the time the trip rolled around. After finishing the route, I think it was for the best because some of the others were first time backpacker and/or Yellowstone backpacking first-timers, and I think a different route would have been better. So we'll try that larger group trip next year.

Anyway, this one was me and my friends Chet and Kenny. The weather was forecasted to be terrible most of the time. Heavy rain, flash flooding, thunderstorms, the whole deal. It turned out being quite nice for most of the time, at least in the areas where we were.

PXL_20230804_143516104.jpg
Looking stormy along the upper Gallatin on the way.

It was raining when we started. We got started down the trail in the early afternoon. It was an easy walk down the DeLacy creek trail, and we came across just one other group of backpackers hiking out. They reported that the bugs were pretty bad.

PXL_20230804_204102867.jpg
Lower down along the creek. Something was laying that grass.

We got down to the lake and took in the views from the beach. None of us had been to Shoshone Lake before. We got a little mixed up trying to follow a trail that was off the beach just a ways. We got stopped by a deep spot on the creek, so we turned around and walked right along the shore instead. Much better.

PXL_20230804_204337384.jpg

PXL_20230804_204401561.jpg

PXL_20230804_205638009.jpg
Creeked out.

PXL_20230804_210343680.MP.jpg
Back on track.

PXL_20230804_210352966.MP.jpg

The trail in the woods went around a lot of ravines and little hills, and we got to our site. Great spot on the lake, and the rain had stopped entirely. We stayed out until it got dark and then went to bed.

PXL_20230804_225132475.MP.jpg

PXL_20230805_134145396.jpg
Looking west from our site.

We headed to Shoshone Geyser Basin the next morning. Cool place.

PXL_20230805_173810872.jpg

PXL_20230805_174309016.jpg

PXL_20230805_180219278.jpg

PXL_20230805_180620057.jpg
Minuteman

We sat watching Minuteman and snacking, enjoying the unexpectedly sunny and pleasant day. I think the weather was actually bad in other places nearby, but we got lucky and had wonderful weather for the rest of the trip.

PXL_20230805_181630743.jpg

We kept going and crossed through the marshy meadows at the head of the lake. Loved the views around this part.

PXL_20230805_182406136.jpg

PXL_20230805_182809844.jpg

PXL_20230805_183918325.jpg

PXL_20230805_184059491.jpg

The trail took us back to the shore of the lake for a brief stint, and we took a break and filtered some water.

PXL_20230805_185252115.jpg

Then we powered through the last few miles to camp. There was one gruelingly steep section on here that really wore me out, but it was otherwise just a nice walk in the woods. We came across quite a few CDT hikers on this stretch. Some were friendly, others could hardly be bothered to look up.

We got to the site at Moose Creek Meadow by mid afternoon. Beautiful spot, really great camp site. But it was full of mosquitoes.

PXL_20230805_201603480.jpg

PXL_20230805_202512931.jpg

We jumped in the creek to cool off, and then we sat in Kenny's tent without the rain fly so we could get away from bugs. We played cards for a bit and heard a few distant rumbles of thunder, but it stayed mostly sunny by us.

Then, a thru hiker walked into our camp and asked where the tent spot was. We were confused, because it sounded like he was just assuming he could crash at our site. And it turns out that that actually was his assumption. He never actually asked if he could stay at our site. He sat and chatted with us for a while, and he seemed fine enough, so we didn't make a fuss. He was apparently a day ahead of his schedule for some reason. And he was in his tent by 6:30 p.m. and hiking out by 6:00 a.m., so we didn't see him much.

We sat around the fire until it was good and dark, and then we went to bed.

Our route for the next day was to hike to the Lewis River Channel, ford the channel, then hike out on the trail along the channel. The Dogshead trail would have saved us a few miles, but we wanted the scenery of the channel.

PXL_20230806_133706751.jpg
Idyllic scenery for the morning backcountry bathroom trip.

PXL_20230806_142523298.jpg
Near where we forded Moose Creek.

PXL_20230806_142532168.jpg
The boys.

PXL_20230806_150519625.jpg
Shoshone Lake back in view.

PXL_20230806_152213336.MP.jpg
Coming down to the Lewis River Channel

PXL_20230806_152729520.jpg
At the ford.

PXL_20230806_152739433.jpg
Looking downstream.

PXL_20230806_161927793.MP.jpg
Walking along the river.

PXL_20230806_163618580.MP.jpg
Cool little outcrop above the river.

PXL_20230806_163625873.jpg

PXL_20230806_172600887.jpg
Lewis Lake with a storm building in the background.

PXL_20230806_173245152.MP.jpg

We ended up hiking the 11 miles pretty quickly, keeping us out of the storm that moved through there later in the day.

PXL_20230806_185501321.MP.jpg
Laughing at the poor souls stuck in the line of cars over a mile long near Midway Geyser Basin.

We got lunch at the Buffalo Bar in West Yellowstone and headed home. Awesome morning, and pretty great trip. Glad that some of us were still able to go and that the weather was far better than expected.

Last edited:
Looks like a great trip! Love when Mother Nature disagrees with the horrible weather forecast!
Agreed! I was talking about the weather and watching the clouds the entire time because the forecast had made things seems so dire, and my friends kept ribbing me about it haha.

Based on your description, that CDT'er executed the "yogi" to perfection. :) I'm glad the weather held up for you guys. Great trip!

We hiked to Shoshone Lake & the geyser basin from Lonestar a couple of years ago, loved it. Hope to get back out there someday.

Based on your description, that CDT'er executed the "yogi" to perfection. :) I'm glad the weather held up for you guys. Great trip!
Yeah having no experience in the thru hiker culture/community, it came off as a little strange to me, but he was a nice guy and didn't bother us at all. Sometimes plans change!

Great shots Jackson! Shoshone Lake is a wonderful backpacking destination, particularly if you take in the geyser basin too. It looks like you did a shuttle trip. I would have loved to hear your thoughts on the trail that heads up the east side of the lake if you had done a loop. Did you see any paddlers on the lake, or in the Lewis River Channel?

I remember that pit toilet. :)

Great shots Jackson! Shoshone Lake is a wonderful backpacking destination, particularly if you take in the geyser basin too. It looks like you did a shuttle trip. I would have loved to hear your thoughts on the trail that heads up the east side of the lake if you had done a loop. Did you see any paddlers on the lake, or in the Lewis River Channel?

I remember that pit toilet. :)
Yep, we did a shuttle route. I guess the title of my post oversimplifies the route since the fastest way between DeLacy and Dogshead is the east side of the lake. Haha. I know a couple of my friends from Jackson have hiked over on the east side to fish before. Sounds like it's a fine trail, but I don't know anything beyond that.

Yes, we saw a few groups of paddlers. One looked like they were camped near Basin Bay Point. And then there were some along the southern shore too. Didn't see any in the channel though. Just a motor boat fishing the large pool near that rocky outcrop we took picture from. I was actually back at Shoshone Lake Monday night this week, and there were definitely no paddlers. Haha. Windy, snowing and raining, terrible visibility for the most part.
PXL_20231002_233008859.jpg

Thanks for your intel on these trails back when I was planning the route!

Thanks for taking us along on your trip! The pictures were great. I take a Thermocell when I think mosquitoes my be out and about (i.e. every time). It usually means that there is a 10-15 foot diameter area where the bugs aren’t. I think it weighs about 8 ounces, and saves my sanity. :) They’re about $30, usually. If you’re interested… .

I love sitting by Shoshone Lake and just watching. I had a pair of otters swim by once.

Thanks for a great trip report.

Thanks for taking us along on your trip! The pictures were great. I take a Thermocell when I think mosquitoes my be out and about (i.e. every time). It usually means that there is a 10-15 foot diameter area where the bugs aren’t. I think it weighs about 8 ounces, and saves my sanity. :) They’re about $30, usually. If you’re interested… .

I love sitting by Shoshone Lake and just watching. I had a pair of otters swim by once.

Thanks for a great trip report.
Oh yeah! Chet, one of the guys with me on this trip, has a thermocell but forgot to bring it on this trip. We lamented that several times as we were sitting at camp haha.

It's a great place! Glad I made it there twice this year, although the second time wasn't nearly as pleasant. Haha. Would have been incredible to see otters there. How awesome.

Does a Thermocell work in the open? A bit of a breeze? I'm always skeptical, but 8oz might be worth it :)

Does a Thermocell work in the open? A bit of a breeze? I'm always skeptical, but 8oz might be worth it :)
With a solid breeze I'm not so sure, but they definitely work outside. My guess is they're less effective with wind.

I might be off on the weight, I’ll try to weigh it later today. I do think that’s close, though. As to working in the open, or in a breeze, whenever I use it, after a couple of minutes, I evaluate whether it seems to be working, and move it if necessary. If much breeze is blowing, it will probably blow the bugs away, anyway. If you’re wondering, whatever wafts out of it smells like flowers, sort of. Every once in a while I get a whiff of it. It works well enough, that when it’s time to go visit the privy, and I grab for my Thermocell, others look sad or stressed or something. I find it makes a big difference, and it’s pretty much always in the pack. I started using it when I was in Florida. I was at a Walmart, to buy a camping screen house or car camping, and a guy said, “Get this instead.” Bought both. I haven’t used the screen house since.

I also have The Original Bug Shirt pants and shirt. The shirt is hot and mostly overkill. The pants are awesome. Mosquitoes can’t drill through them. There’s no spray, no greasy feeling, no smell, and no bug bites. On my Alaska trips, I called it my sanity suit. I almost always wear the pants when I’m hiking in Yellowstone. I don’t like bugs much.