Death in the National Parks

balzaccom

"Hiking misadventures" sounds like 90% of the times I go out in the desert.

Suicide was actually #1. The fact that there were more suicides than car accident deaths was a shock. Even the number of murders was higher than I expected. Just poison your husband at home like a civilized person! Nobody's gonna believe he fell off that cliff on accident.

I can believe the driving accidents. Seen a lot of folks not obeying speed limits. Bad enough when slick conditions exist, but even under good weather at night- which also can result in animal fatalities. With "hiking fatalities" I wonder if they break that "falls" category down into "climbing" vs just backpacking/hiking. I stop at marginal class 3, especially if I have to go down.

Yikes! Never saw this before: "Federal prosecutors have asked that all members of the jury be physically capable of traveling to the scene and hiking the entire trail."

Did he get convicted?
my knowledge of legal things is very shaky, but I believe he was acquitted in the criminal case and subsequently sued by the family, and I never heard how that got resolved -- so probably quietly, some sort of settlement

Hmmm.

This thread has me thinking. Mrs. TractorDoc and I are planning a September Yellowstone trip for 2024.

If I suddenly stop posting here on the forum after Labor Day or so. . . :thinking:
not to give Mrs TractorDoc any ideas, but bodies will melt in certain thermal areas, never to be found (no body, no crime). For a fee, I can point her to the most "reliable" ones, ha ha ha

Will you be dead or in jail?

Enquiring minds want to know!
:)

I hope neither!

It is more likely that I may meet my fate in the Teton Wilderness in August. @Bob 's route threatens to involve some steep/exposed areas that I'm a bit nervous about. They might be tempted at times, but I doubt any in the group would nudge me towards the edge. I'm more apt to clumsily stumble over it myself. o_O

What about earli
Hmmm.

This thread has me thinking. Mrs. TractorDoc and I are planning a September Yellowstone trip for 2024.

If I suddenly stop posting here on the forum after Labor Day or so. . . :thinking:
Earlier in the year hikes do have some shady fellows

Wow, that one sounds like a bad mystery novel come to life
Creepy - especially that he might have done it twice. Weird to think that people can live together for years without knowing what the other person is really like...

I'm glad I only hike alone, lol
No one wants to go where I go.

Despite the lava and volcanic activity, Hawaiʻi Volcanoes NP is a pretty safe park. There have been few fatalities in the past few years.
But I lost one of my good friends in 2018 on the lava field, which was a super sad accident.

Back