Day-Use Permits Now Required for Elephant Hill and White Rim Roads

IntrepidXJ

ADVENTR
Not a fan of this...

http://www.nps.gov/cany/learn/news/news073015.htm

------------------------------

The National Park Service has announced that permits will be required for all motor vehicle and bicycle day use on White Rim and Elephant Hill roads in Canyonlands National Park as of September 1, 2015.

Day-use permits will be available on the park's official website 24 hours in advance of the trip date. Some permits for each day will also be available, first-come, first-served at the Island in the Sky Visitor Center for the White Rim Road, and at the Needles Visitor Center for Elephant Hill Road.

For the White Rim Road, a total of 50 day-use vehicle permits (including motorcycles) and 50 day-use bicycle permits will be available each day. Group size will be limited to three vehicles and 15 bicycles.

A total of 24 day-use vehicle permits (including motorcycles) and 12 day-use bicycle permits will be available each day for Elephant Hill Road. Group size will be limited to three vehicles and 12 bicycles. A permit will be required for each motor vehicle and bicycle.

Salt Creek, Horse Canyon, and Lavender Canyon day-use permits will now also be available, first-come, first-served, on the park's official website beginning 24 hours in advance of the trip date. Permits for these areas will no longer be available up to four months in advance.

No fee will be charged for these day-use permits during the 2015-2016 seasons. Payment of the park entrance fee is required for day use and will be collected with permits issued online (beginning in late Spring 2016) or at the time of entrance to the park for walk in permits. Interagency Annual Passes, Military Passes, Senior Passes, and Access Passes will be honored for entrance as noted on the back of each pass.

For the White Rim Road, a total of 50 day-use vehicle permits (including motorcycles) and 50 day-use bicycle permits will be available each day. Group size will be limited to three vehicles and 15 bicycles.
That's messed up--motorcycles are limited to 3 per group, but bicycles are 15 per group?! Maybe I'll have to do a White Rim trip near the end of August...

That sucks. So if I understand that right, you can ONLY get them 24 hours in advance? That seems like a bad idea.

That's what it sounds like to me?

I've taken many last minute trips that required access via Elephant Hill and the White Rim....that will pretty much make those kind of trips a hassle for me now...

To me, this is like the park service requiring permits to use the main paved roads in these parks (which I guess is something Arches might be considering)....

Not a fan either..
I wonder how they handle this for people who reserve vehicle campsites in advance? Do they have to wait and try to get a permit within 24 hours before the trip?.
It also sucks for people who visit Beef Basin and wants to exit via Needles/Elephant Hill.

Not a fan either..
I wonder how they handle this for people who reserve vehicle campsites in advance?

On their Facebook page, they did state that overnight permit holders for camping do not also need these day use permits. These are strictly for people who do not already have reserved campsites.

Ah the joys of trying to keep use numbers from increasing. Congestion is one of the biggest problems land managers face. I guess I prefer this over a shuttle system or fully developing the roads.

It is definitely a hassle but if it keeps a line of vehicles from forming maybe it is worth it.

hehe ....go in the back way from Bobby's Hole.....with a good 4x4 though.