Day hiking in the San Juans - Part 1 of 2

Janice

We wanted to do a summer trip with our young adult sons, but they didn't want to backpack so we stayed at condos first in Ouray and then in Telluride. Sometimes we hiked together, sometimes they hiked separately from us (I am way too slow for them), and they enjoyed some running and mountain biking as well. When planning hikes, we made great use of @Diane Greer's advice and excellent book and website. Thank you, Diane!!!

The scenery was stunning, and the wildflowers were incredible - so many all over the place, so many different types, and so many different colors. In the Wildflowers thread, I posted a bunch of different Indian paintbrush pictures; I couldn't believe how many different varieties we saw.

We did these hikes and thoroughly enjoyed them:
Ice Lake & Island Lake
Columbine Lake & Pass
Blue Lakes & Pass
Ouray Perimeter Trail
Sneffels Highline Loop
Lake Hope & Pass
Lizard Head Loop

Day 1 - Island Lake was gorgeous.
IMG_0575.jpg

IMG_0582.jpg

IMG_0602.jpg

IMG_0609.jpg

Here are a few of the many flowers on the way to Island Lake.
IMG_0465.jpg

IMG_0501.jpg

IMG_0723.jpg

IMG_0506.jpg

IMG_0511.jpg

These Twinberry Honeysuckles were so interesting.
IMG_0750.jpg

Ice Lake was also stunning. We walked all the way around it but didn't have time to go up to Fuller Lake because dark clouds were rolling in and we could hear thunder off in the distance.
IMG_0628.jpg

IMG_0642.jpg

IMG_0656.jpg

IMG_0657.jpg

IMG_0663.jpg

IMG_0673.jpg

IMG_0710.jpg

Day 2 - Columbine Lake & Pass
We started the morning with a double rainbow as we were leaving Ouray.
IMG_0793.jpg

As expected, the trail up to Columbine Lake started with lots of switchbacks, but then we got out of the woods the scenery was spectacular for hours.
IMG_0807.jpg

IMG_0806.jpg

IMG_0853.jpg

IMG_0883.jpg

IMG_0885.jpg

I love the PeakFinder app. This shows the mountains behind us (to the east) as we were ascending toward Columbine Lake.
IMG_2302.jpg

The lake was beautiful. But interestingly enough, there were no columbine!
Screen Shot 2024-07-24 at 11.28.01 PM.png

We went up to the pass and enjoyed the views down into Lewis Lake and Bridal Veil Basin, as well as the mountains in that direction (to the west).
IMG_0950.jpg

IMG_2298.jpg

On the way down, the skies were threatening, but we only had a few drops. Yay!
IMG_0986.jpg

IMG_0997.jpg

Day 3 - Blue Lakes
We got an early start, and our kids got an even earlier start, as their goal was to summit Sneffels from the Blue Lakes side. They did!
IMG_7591.jpg

We were happy and relieved to cross paths with them when we were going up the pass and they were on their way down. Here are a few of my pictures before getting to the pass.

Lower Blue Lake - If I had done the picture horizontally, it would have been almost the exact same as the front cover of @Diane's book!
IMG_1104.jpg
Delphinium/Larkspur above Lower Blue Lake
IMG_1111.jpg
Columbine above Middle Blue Lake (there were sooooo many clumps of gorgeous columbine all over the place)
IMG_1131.jpg
I was fascinated by the bluebells. Their leaves are darker and more blue-green than other plants, so I could always tell where bluebells were, even if I couldn't see their delicate flowers. In this picture, they're lining the stream leading into Middle Blue Lake.
IMG_1298.jpg
Upper Blue Lake
IMG_1137.jpg
The switchbacks to the pass go up that green part in the middle of the photo
IMG_1286.jpg
Reflection of Upper Blue Lake as we started heading up
IMG_1145.jpg
Can you spot my husband in this photo? The switchbacks heading up the pass are not very noticeable, but they were there alright!IMG_1168.jpg
The hillside was covered with flowers. So beautiful!
IMG_1272.jpg
Looking down at Upper and Middle Blue Lakes
IMG_1190.jpg
Getting up near the pass
IMG_1208.jpg

So many interesting things to see - this hummingbird moth was on our way back down
IMG_1313.jpg
I don't know much about mushrooms, but I do know this bright orange one would NOT be safe to eat!
IMG_1360.jpg

On our way back down, we decided to spend time exploring Lower Blue Lake. We had passed it fairly quickly on the way up, knowing we needed to get down from the pass early enough to beat the afternoon storms.
Screen Shot 2024-07-24 at 11.55.35 PM.png

Later on, we got hailed on, but only for a minute. We got back to our car right as it started to pour, and the drive was a bit exciting with water flooding the dirt road. We made it back safe and sound and had a fabulous day!

Day 4 - Ouray Perimeter Trail
This was our day to transition between Ouray and Telluride, and we ended up on the perimeter trail for awhile. We enjoyed it more than we expected to! A few scenes:
IMG_1372.jpg
IMG_1431.jpg
IMG_1384.jpg
IMG_1401.jpg

En route to Telluride, we stopped at Orvis Hot Springs. So relaxing!!!

What a great first half of our trip this was. :)

Nice! Thanks for sharing. That Sneffels/Blue Lakes area always looks like one of the very nicest parts of the state, but I still haven't made it down there yet (too many places...) When were you guys down there? It looks like the smoke wasn't too bad, which is reassuring (I may be heading down to the San Juans in a week or two if the air quality seems better down there than up North).

Our trip was 7/13-21. We didn't notice smoke in the San Juans; actually, there was a lot of rain and everyday we had blue skies before the clouds rolled in each afternoon. However, at the Denver airport on 7/21 the sky was horrible - we couldn't even see the mountains from the outdoor deck facing west. This is very different from other times when I've been on that same deck.

If you go, I hope the air quality is good and you have a great trip!

Back