Dale Peak - May 22, 2022

scatman

One of the best springtime hikes along the Wasatch Front is Dale Peak, which is located on the eastern side of Parley's Ridge, which is the ridge on the north side of Parley's Canyon. Normally, Dale doesn't get a lot of traffic, and we probably saw seven or eight people along the way - three of which were trail runners.

Usually by mid May, the wildflowers are in bloom along the entire route. While the lupine and the mule's ear weren't quite there yet, the balsamroot, larkspur, phlox, groundsel, various types of vetch, mountain dandelions, Oregon grape, cryptantha, ball-head waterleaf, death camas, and spotted stickseed were all abundant and beautiful along the entire route. Throw in some Utah serviceberry shrub, and it made for quite the hike

The temperature was in the low sixties yesterday which made for pleasant hiking along the ridge, though there was some wind blowing throughout the day.

01.jpg
View down into Parley's Canyon with Mount Aire at the center of the image.

02.jpg
Zoomed in shot of Mount Wire. You can jus make out the old airplane beacon.

03.jpg
The gate is open! Someone ought to notify the home owners association. :) Dale Peak is to the right of center

04.jpg
Western groundsel and sage

05.jpg
American vetch

06.jpg
Grandeur Peak

07.jpg
Death camas

08.jpg
Lookout Peak

09.jpg
A couple of ridges in the distance. The furthest ridge, which still has snow, is Wildcat Ridge, while the nearest is Millcreek Ridge.
I'm giving some thought to when upper Millcreek Canyon opens up on July 1st, I'd give Millcreek Ridge a try on July the 2nd. I
attempted this hike seven years ago and ended up about thirty minutes short of finishing due to my hiking partner running out of
gas at the end. Not finishing has always kind of stuck in my craw. I'm not sure that I can pull it off being seven years older, but if i
don't give it a go this year, I'm afraid it won't happen.

10.jpg
Balsamroot and larkspur

11.jpg
Milk-vetch

12.jpg
Just following the ridge

13.jpg
Arrowleaf balsamroot

13b.jpg
All roads lead to Grandeur.

14.jpg
My hiking companion for the day

15.jpg
Old grumpy! :scatman:

16.jpg
A ladybug

17.jpg
Hmm....... I wonder if Evil Knievel could make the jump from Parley's Ridge to the Mount Wire Ridge over Emigration Canyon?
Care to weigh in @Rockskipper?

18.jpg
A hill awaits.

19.jpg
Larkspur

20.jpg
Spotted stickseed and some spring parsley

21.jpg
Ball-head waterleaf in amongst the yet to bloom mule's ear

22.jpg
Groundsel

23.jpg
Biscuitroot

24.jpg
More larkspur

25.jpg
Sweetvetch

26.jpg
Don't know my insects very well. Does anyone know what this is? I thought maybe a type of cicada?

27.jpg
A spider has a mosquito hawk in it's death grip

28.jpg
A portion of snow covered Wildcat Ridge to the south with Triangle Peak on the left of the ridge

29.jpg
More groundsel

30.jpg
Mountain dandelion

31.jpg
Old wasp's nest

32.jpg
Cicada exoskeleton?

33.jpg
A single track at this point

34.jpg
Low cryptantha and some vetch

35.jpg
A pollen ladened bee on a balsamroot flower

36.jpg
Mount Aire to the left and snow covered Gobbler's Knob in the far distance

37.jpg
A lizard was nice enough to pose for me. :)

38.jpg
As a wise man named @Artemus once said, "The crux of the route!" :D

39.jpg
Grandview Peak to the north

39b.jpg
The last glacier lily left on our route. All the others were dried up.

40.jpg
Katie getting closer to the summit

41.jpg
Oregon grape

42.jpg
Summit shot with Gobbler's Knob and Mount Raymond to my right, with Church Fork Peak just below the saddle between those
two, and Grandeur Peak to Katie's left, and Triangle Peak beyond.

43.jpg
A wide angle shot to the northeast from the summit, with Grandview and Lookout Peaks, and Little Dell Reservoir to the right of
center

44.jpg
Scatman with Perkins Peak in the distance (the high bump along the ridge)

45.jpg
Utah serviceberry

46.jpg
A chopper flying down Emigration Canyon. Probably the H.O.A. getting after me. :)

47.jpg
A horny toad

48.jpg
Hitchhiker! Hitchhiker! Stop the presses!

49.jpg
Scat blood from the hitchhiking cactus.

50.jpg
I believe this is stoneseed

51.jpg
More balsamroot

52.jpg
Shifting into mosey gear. :D

53.jpg
A swallowtail on a western wallflower

54.jpg
The Sube has a lot more company than it did when we began our hike.

After our hike we made our way down to the Living Traditions Festival in downtown Salt Lake for dinner.

IMG_0035.JPG

IMG_0028.JPG
Where I partook of some Pakistani food while listening to a Gospel Group called Men of Valor, and they were followed by a dance group fro the Utah Punjabi Arts Academy .

IMG_0046.JPG

The End.

Last edited:
Looks like a great day Hugh.

I do believe your mystery insect is a cicada -- which subspecies I could not say. The exoskeleton would be from the same type of critter. . . maybe it was from the very same critter!

Quite a nice variety of landscapes, flora, and fauna. Utah looks pretty nice when it is hydrated and not all crispy. :)

Evil Knievel could easily do that jump if you put big enough ramps on each end. :)

And man, that was one bloodthirsty cactus. Savage. Or maybe a savage bloodthirsty cactus.

I love all your flora and fauna pics. And the kilt is quite colorful as well - is that a new one?!

@scatman … if you wear that part kilt on our Yellowstone adventures we’ll never see any wildlife. :)
Anyhow, great photos as usual. Thanks for sharing another scatmanventure.

Looks like a great day Hugh.

I do believe your mystery insect is a cicada -- which subspecies I could not say. The exoskeleton would be from the same type of critter. . . maybe it was from the very same critter!

Quite a nice variety of landscapes, flora, and fauna. Utah looks pretty nice when it is hydrated and not all crispy. :)

Crispy is coming. :)

Evil Knievel could easily do that jump if you put big enough ramps on each end. :)

And man, that was one bloodthirsty cactus. Savage. Or maybe a savage bloodthirsty cactus.

Ramps would be the key.

Katie was hiking out in front of me, so I didn't notice the cactus until about halfway back to the car when I caught up to her and she pointed it out. That must mean I have a high pain tolerance, or I'm just too stupid to notice. :thinking:

I love when the foothills are green and blooming. Looks like it was a wonderful day!

From various rabbit holes:

Tests with black bears and polar bears indicate that bears can see color. Researchers Ellis Bacon and Gordon Burghardt of the University of Tennessee concluded that black bears could discriminate between shades of color.

Bison have poor eyesight and are actually nearsighted, or can only see things close up. However, where they lack in their sense of sight, they make up for with great sense of smell and hearing.

Ramps would be the key.

Katie was hiking out in front of me, so I didn't notice the cactus until about halfway back to the car when I caught up to her and she pointed it out. That must mean I have a high pain tolerance, or I'm just too stupid to notice. :thinking:
Thick skinned could also explain it. :)

Tests with black bears and polar bears indicate that bears can see color. Researchers Ellis Bacon and Gordon Burghardt of the University of Tennessee concluded that black bears could discriminate between shades of color.

Bison have poor eyesight and are actually nearsighted, or can only see things close up. However, where they lack in their sense of sight, they make up for with great sense of smell and hearing.
Study in Alaska showed grizzlies approached th more vibrant colored tents than those in muted tones…run, Scat run!

So what you're saying is that a bison could read a book, but not the billboard across the meadow? :)