Cross-country Ski at Deer Valley

Howells Outdoors

Adventure is my middle name...actually it's Keith.
My wife and I connected with the Cedar Mountain Nordic Ski Club (www.cmnsc.org) to try our luck at cross-country skiing. We went up to the Deer Valley Winter Recreation Area on the Dixie National Forest.

Originally posted on: www.mountain-dude.blogspot.com

LOVE IT!!!

A little bit on the Deer Valley Area.

It is located just over 20 miles east of Cedar City on HWY-14. The Ski Club and the Forest Service have worked really hard together and about 5 years ago they got the 1,300 acres set aside as a non-motorized winter recreation area. There are great loop trails and views of Navajo Lake and the surrounding forest. Try to navigate through their website to find the information on the trails, you probably won't find it anywhere else (not even on the FS website).

Parking is scarce. The snowplow turn around is the best place, but it's also where the snowplows turn around. Then there is the area that is plowed out for snowmobiles at the turnoff for Cedar Breaks, but it's several miles away (one of the loops swings down that way).

Cross-country skiing really is the best way to get out in the winter and see the landscape. I guess I'll start with how much exercise I got doing this.

It is a workout. but it isn't like any other time I've gone to workout and it isn't fun. I hardly noticed how much I was working, but I felt it afterwards. Seems like every muscle was being used. My arms were doing some great work helping to pull me along through the powder. My legs were pumping on the flat terrain and especially on the uphill. Want a good workout? Go ski!

Then being able to see the Dixie National Forest under the snow and get away from everyone was amazing. I've snowshoed before and thought, "How cool is this to get to travel where I want on top of the snow." Yeah, skis are so much more effective and efficient! I love being out in the winter and being able to really be free to travel where I want (except where land managers say not to).

It was pretty easy to at least go on the skis. As one of the club members told me, "If you can walk, you can ski." I was amazed at the way I could climb hills on those things, yet glide down with ease. Well done Manufacturers!

All in all, it was a great time. If anyone knows where we can get some skis of our own let us know.

Skied for the first times last season. I'm still no the best at going downhill on the skinny skis but with time it'll get better. I need to buy my own so i can go whenever too.

I did it for many years back in Germany. I love cross country skiing
Do they have groomed trails in your area? Love the groomed trails where you can really speed up and skate there with your skies.

Yeah the forest service grooms once a week. Sometimes after a big storm. They groom for skate skiing and tradition. There is something like 11 miles groomed

Awesome. I've been wanting to try XC skis as well. I definitely have enjoyed kicking around on my splitboard.
Splitboard! Fun stuff. I'm gonna use 9ne of those foe the first time soon. I'm stoked! But cross-country skiing was sooooo much fun. My wife and I are hooked.

let me know when you're going again. I would love to go, too.
So far I've only figured out trials at Bryce Canyon and gear rental as well. I will be there for another winter weekend in February again, but until then I would love to go somewhere else

let me know when you're going again. I would love to go, too.
So far I've only figured out trials at Bryce Canyon and gear rental as well. I will be there for another winter weekend in February again, but until then I would love to go somewhere else
There's a group from the club going up the 28th for a ski. We will probably join em.