CRNP: Temple of the Sun Evening/Night/Morning

Ron Diel

During a recent visit to Capital Reef, I overnighted near the Temples of the Sun and Moon in the Cathedral Valley loop of the Park to get some overnight star shots. As the day ended and the few visiting parties cleared out, this made me the only person within miles of the site - a great omen for star shots. Among other shots, this let me capture the Temple of the Sun shown in the sunset, night time, and sunrise shots included below.

Capitol Reef 09 ss.jpg Capitol Reef 10 ss.jpg Capitol Reef 14 ss.jpg

The chance to spend 18 hours in the same general location also let me scout and plan out locations for different lighting conditions, which made the shots from this area the best in general that I captured during my 9 days in the park. Still, I loved the entire time there - this is a special and under-visited Park in a State with 5 true gems. I know that I'll be back.

Great pics. 9 days in the park, I'm so jealous! Have you thought about maybe doing a trip report? Would love to here more about your trip...

Nice Milky Way! I too want to hear more. I will be there next week!
Thanks for the kind words, I will do a trip report soon.

You'll have fun there and should get some great shots. My only downside, which you should avoid, was overnight temperatures in the 20s with high winds and me in a tent and sleeping bag. Actually, it was cosy in the bag, but getting up was a touch bracing, shall we say...

The colors on your first image are very subtle. I like all three but that one stands out for me.

The colors on your first image are very subtle. I like all three but that one stands out for me.
'Subtle' is certainly the word, I've been there many many times (the last two days for instance) but I've never seen it look so grey even in the middle of the day, strange lighting indeed.

'Subtle' is certainly the word, I've been there many many times (the last two days for instance) but I've never seen it look so grey even in the middle of the day, strange lighting indeed.
Beyond subtle, more like a color space issue that some of my uploads seem to be having... I have gotten around to adding the overall trip report with more photos, some of which did suffer from this issue and some of which did not.

Sorry for my late reply. I have been traveling quite a bit and haven't been logging in during my travels, just quick glances to the site.

My trip was amazing! I hope to actually post my first trip report once things settle down. The very best part of the trip was Upper Cathedral Valley.

I just returned from New Orleans and talk about culture shock from Utah and Colorado to NOLA! Glad I went, but give me the wilderness anytime.