CPW '15- A Couple Typical Weekends

Scott Chandler

Wildness is a necessity- John Muir
Over the past few weekends I've been in familiar areas of the Cloud Peak Wilderness doing familiar things. Thus I can't say I have the best of stories to share but I do have some pictures of what everyone sees that are pretty darn pretty.

7/16-17 I spent patrolling and doing trail maintenance up in the 7 Brothers area. I originally had plans to off trail up to the Frozen Lakes on the second day but an odd "might rain, might not rain" weather pattern had settled over the Bighorns which made that an ugly option.

T3-East-1.jpg T3-East-2.jpg T3-East-3.jpg T3-East-4.jpg

I found the label on this older can a bit ironic.
T3-East-7.jpg

Surprisingly that weather pattern put some snow high on the mountains over the night of the 17th. Gotta love the high mountains.

Over the next couple days (7/18-19) I spent out patrolling in Circle Park. The first day saw me up to Rainy and Willow Lakes in some rain and the next on a seldom used "backdoor" trail to the oft visited Long and Ringbone Lakes.

Rainy LakeT3-East-8.jpg
Willow Lake
T3-East-9.jpg T3-East-10.jpg
Sherd Lake
T3-East-11.jpg

Then Trail 47
T3-East-12.jpg
To Long...
T3-East-15.jpg
...and Ringbone Lakes.
T3-East-16.jpg

The next weekend saw me on the western side of the CPW. I started out with an overniter up to Mirror Lake and the Lost Twins. It was a gorgeous day, with a little storm while going to Upper Lost Twin to add a few minutes of spice to the trek.

Middle Tensleep Falls
T4-West-1.jpg
Mirror Lake
T4-West-2.jpg
Gotta love the meadows up to Lost Twins
T4-West-3.jpg T4-West-5.jpg
Lower Lost TwinT4-West-6.jpg T4-West-7.jpg
Upper Lost Twin
T4-West-9.jpg T4-West-10.jpg
And Lower again. Sure love the northerly view.
T4-West-11.jpg

To get some spice in this trip I thought I would follow an old, unmaintained trail known as the Old Yost Trail from Mirror Lake to the trail to Lake Helen. There was a followable trail tread for maybe a 1/4 mile across the ledge, so it was definitely spicy.
T4-West-13.jpg T4-West-14.jpg T4-West-15.jpg T4-West-18.jpg T4-West-19.jpg

And from there it was up to Lake Helen for an evening patrol of the area. I was amazed at the lack of a tent city up there but I'm sure if this tour hadn't been a short one I would have seen the mayoral election. A lot of people were going up as I went out the next day.
T4-West-20.jpg T4-West-21.jpg T4-West-22.jpg

Featured image for home page:
slide.jpg

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
la_alpinista Thoughts on potential off trail routes in Cloud Peak Wilderness CPW Trip Planning 1
P wag bags -- CPW Trip Planning 5
Scott Chandler CPW '15- Wilderness Basin Backpacking 9
Scott Chandler CPW '15- Amazement on the North End Backpacking 5
Scott Chandler CPW '15- North End Adventuring Backpacking 0
Scott Chandler CPW '15- 4th of July Backpacking 8
Scott Chandler CPW '15- June Hiking & Camping 1
Scott Chandler Help with the Best of the CPW Photography 9
Scott Chandler Summer in the CPW- September Part 2 Hiking & Camping 4
Scott Chandler Summer in the CPW- September Pt. 1 Backpacking 6
Scott Chandler Summer in the CPW- The Final Tour Backpacking 3
Scott Chandler Summer in the CPW- Tour 7 North End Backpacking 6
Scott Chandler Summer in the CPW- Tour 6 West Side again Backpacking 4
Scott Chandler Summer in the CPW- Tour 5 on the East Side Backpacking 3
Scott Chandler Summer in the CPW- Tour 4 North End Backpacking 6
Scott Chandler Summer in the CPW- Tour 3 West Side Backpacking 3
Scott Chandler Summer in the CPW- A long weekend in SLC Backpacking 5
Scott Chandler Summer in the CPW- Tour 2- East Side Hiking & Camping 5
Scott Chandler Summer in the CPW- 7.2 Loaf Mountain Hiking & Camping 3
Scott Chandler Summer in the CPW- Tour 1 Hiking & Camping 5
Scott Chandler Summer in the CPW- Meadow Flowers and Hazelton Peak Hiking & Camping 7
Scott Chandler Summer in the CPW- Lookout views and fresh snow Hiking & Camping 3
J Anyone in the Thorofare in the past couple of weeks? Trip Planning 0
Ted California couple killed in Yosemite National Park rockslide identified by park officials General Discussion 0
andyjaggy A couple of Backpacking Trip Report Videos Backpacking 0
J Dayhiking Moab's awesome geography, couple hikes to summits and rock art April 8-9, 2021 Hiking & Camping 0
J Short time in Greater Bears Ears. Couple Dayhikes April 5 and 6, 2021 Hiking & Camping 5
Rockskipper Solar flare = aurora in many places next couple of nights General Discussion 5
wsp_scott A couple trips with kids Backpacking 1
forest dweller Seeking advice for a 5 or 6 night Banff or Jasper backpacking trip for a married couple with different ideas of what awesome is!!! Trip Planning 7
Tystevens Dog friendly 1-2 night trip within a couple hours of I70 in Utah or Colorado... Trip Planning 4
gnwatts 4 old men in a couple of canoes On The Water 10
MtnMatt A couple of Hikes in Glacier NP Backpacking 1
Nanda Invite Amethyst basin(or similar areas) couple nights in uintas Meet Up (Members Only) 3