Condors!

balzaccom

Very cool! I've seen bald eagles here in south Napa County recently for the first time in my life. It's nice to hear/see things trending in a positive direction.

That reminds me. There's a condor release event tomorrow at Vermillion Cliffs, including a livestream for remote viewing.

The Peregrine Fund and the Bureau of Land Management Vermilion Cliffs National Monument are hosting a celebration on National Public Lands Day, Saturday, September 28 by releasing four captive-bred California condors at 1 p.m. MDT/Utah time (noon MST/northern-Arizona condor time). The 28th annual event will be held in person at Vermilion Cliffs National Monument and will be live-streamed via The Peregrine Fund’s YouTube Channel.

Last edited:
In November 2021 we had a couple of condors cruise overhead as we were hiking above Kanab:
_1260780-copy.jpg
Awesome!
The other of the two, with a raven circling as well:
_1260781-copy-2.jpg
Later that same afternoon, we stopped by the viewing site along the House Rock Valley road and got to talk a bit and view some more, with two researchers monitoring the roost high up on the Vermillion Cliffs.
P1150377-copy-2.jpg
P1150374-copy-2.jpg
P1150370-copy-2.jpg
Such impressive birds!

Excellent! They are amazsing birds.

We had a funny experience in El Chalten, Argentina. We’d just finished hiking the Cerro del Aguila trail there (Patagonia, for those keeping track at home) in the hopes of seeing condors, but were skunked. So we came back to the trailhead to talk to a ranger in the visitors center there, who told us about the calafate bushes and their berries. As we went outside for him to show us an example of the calafate, a condor soared no more than 25 feet overhead.

Yow! Sometimes the best way to find something is to stop looking!

Last edited:
Back