Comments on my Uinta Highline plan?

Goat

Moving this to its own thread. Appreciate any comments, inputs or opinions on below:

We're planning 7 days from Leidy to Hayden Pass, last week in August. Tentative itinerary:

Leidy-Chepeta (day 1)
Chepeta-Fox Lake (day 2)
Fox Lake-western Painter Basin (day 3)
Painter Basin-Kings Peak-Tungsten Lake (day 4)
Tungsten Lake-Lake Fork junction (day 5)
Lake Fork junction-Helen lake (day 6) (taking the north/northwest bypass loop around Rock Creek basin)
Helen lake-Hayden pass trailhead (day 7)

Again, all notional depending on conditions. We'd like to shorten the last day but we'll have to see how it goes. Phasing the passes (to avoid camping unsheltered and unafraid) forces some shorter days. But open to suggestions here.

Assumptions:

- Gear-wise, I'm viewing this as a "fun size" JMT with less developed trails and higher rain potential. Aligning my gear choices for lows in the upper 30s and highs in the 70s, with some cold rainy days likely. I assume the Nat'l Weather Service is best weather site to watch (for "Painter Basin" and "Kings Peak" etc)?
- Assuming water availability isn't a concern (I use aquamira in these conditions, no filter)
- Undecided on my umbrella: Probably won't bring it, although under the right conditions it is worth every ounce, thus my hesitation.
- I might throw in my goretex socks for walking around camp in cold wet shoes, my version of "camp shoes"

You asked about weather in the other thread.

Your temp ranges are about right, if you are going in August. Up higher it will might not get above 65, but it will feel hotter if there are no clouds.
This summer seemed drier than normal through July. The afternoon storms have been hit or miss. This weekend had some good storms, so did last night and probably again today.
I was in the frontcountry this past weekend, but I heard from some friends, one in Henry's Fork, one in Blacksmith. They also had good afternoon storms, and similar temps at night.

The drier July means some areas have few mosquitoes already. It also means smaller streams are drying up.

For the umbrella, if it is one of the ultralight, sunblocking types, I use mine above the treeline.

Looks like a great trip to me Goat!

I'll be up there the next week (Aug 30- Sept 7), though I'll be starting at Mckee Draw.

So far conditions are looking promising, though as always things could change. Look forward to hearing how it goes for you!

Good plan. Be prepared for the possibility that you won't be able to camp at Tungsten if the weather is gnarly... might have to scurry down the side trail and get into thicker tree cover.

Plan to get up early on your double-pass day (Red Knob & Dead Horse) if there's any possibility of weather.

I don't love umbrellas and don't carry them unless they'll actually help. That said, I generally do bring them on summer Uintas trips. YMMV.

Enjoy!

Copy all. Yeah, I've had mixed success with the umbrella. It's a trailhead call depending on the forecast.

Back