Colorado River 2006

gnwatts

Getting pretty psyched about our upcoming river trips, so I thought I would share pics from our first trip down Meander Canyon in 2006.
As parents of an increasingly rebellious 15 year old, Nancy and I felt that we needed to do something special. From the time Kyle was 6 we had usually planned backpacking trips for our family getaways, but Nancy surprised us with a reservation with Tex's Riverways for a 5 day float trip. I had no idea she had done this, and had no real desire to float down a river, even though we are surrounded by rivers here in Carbondale.
So we showed up in Moab one beautiful fall day, with no idea how this was all going to work, and very unprepared. The guys at Tex's were sympathetic to our complete ignorance, up to point I guess. We rented all of our stuff, cooler, toilet, bought ice (cubes!), and we were dropped off at Potash. We had no idea how to load the boat, and did not bring any straps (we borrowed some rope from a group going down to Spanish Bottom). We also had a ducky (I think that is what it is called) for Kyle or whoever wanted it, which was pretty much a big mistake, as they cannot keep up with the canoe.
Our first day was a nightmare, boat was not loaded right, headwinds etc contributed to a short day and not very good progress, and flaring tempers.
It was getting late, were all tired. We had only made about 5 miles and then........
Nirvana!

I0000bzHutRPAtTc.jpg

We saw this amazing island, white sand, no footprints, perfection. Then we realized what it was all about, not just trying to make time, but giving in to the canyon and letting her take over. Not to power through it. We needed to let go, and take every turn as it came.

This camp was a revelation and one that I will never forget. Our family had truly accomplished something, not only did we survive, we did it without killing each other, metaphorically speaking. Watching the sun lower on our own private island on one of our greatest rivers was a healing experience.

I0000rgPSA9_FXbQ.jpg

Our ice was gone by the 3rd day, but Tecate tastes great warm too.

I0000fIIKc.UZy2Y.jpg

I0000ZSFtFXsVUnA.jpg

I0000R1P9JEBCSQc.jpg

After the second day we just tied the ducky to the canoe, and Nancy read, and napped:

I0000Rr7lXy0U2jY.jpg

Our 3rd camp, up on a rock shelf, with some blessed rain later that evening:

I0000rDuNepX8ZJ0.jpg

I0000EFWMCaxjFdY.jpg

Yours truly, without as much grey hair:

I00000MhtWj3K3Wc.jpg

Approaching the Confluence:

I0000yFujqAG.5_E.jpg

Because of our lack of real progress (the head winds this trip were a bitch), we had about 30 miles to do on the last day to get to the confluence with the Green. We did not have to, but we wanted to. Another image in my head I will never forget was to see that big beach at the confluence (which has not been there for the last 4 years), we paddled straight down the Colorado and crossed the Green, to our last camp spot. We were all stoked, we felt we had accomplished something.

Looking up the Colorado, the Green coming in from the left, I have camped on big beaches across the river on the right and left side of the river on subsequent trips, as this beach does not exist now:

I0000ehBG3BypiBE.jpg

I0000vMqMpHcGc.4.jpg

The next morning, watching the sun rise higher with a good cup of joe:

I0000oUApYCzinDI.jpg

Our son has not accompanied us on a river trip since then, but I think it left a pretty good impression on him, one that he will carry forever. I certanly will not forget this first float trip.
Thanks for looking.

Featured image for home page:
slide.jpg

Great write up. It's amazing how the outdoors can bring families together and leave long lasting impressions. Thanks for posting this.

Getting pretty psyched about our upcoming river trips, so I thought I would share pics from our first trip down Meander Canyon in 2006.
As parents of an increasingly rebellious 15 year old, Nancy and I felt that we needed to do something special. From the time Kyle was 6 we had usually planned backpacking trips for our family getaways, but Nancy surprised us with a reservation with Tex's Riverways for a 5 day float trip. I had no idea she had done this, and had no real desire to float down a river, even though we are surrounded by rivers here in Carbondale.
So we showed up in Moab one beautiful fall day, with no idea how this was all going to work, and very unprepared. The guys at Tex's were sympathetic to our complete ignorance, up to point I guess. We rented all of our stuff, cooler, toilet, bought ice (cubes!), and we were dropped off at Potash. We had no idea how to load the boat, and did not bring any straps (we borrowed some rope from a group going down to Spanish Bottom). We also had a ducky (I think that is what it is called) for Kyle or whoever wanted it, which was pretty much a big mistake, as they cannot keep up with the canoe.
Our first day was a nightmare, boat was not loaded right, headwinds etc contributed to a short day and not very good progress, and flaring tempers.
It was getting late, were all tired. We had only made about 5 miles and then........
Nirvana!

How did you get out?

I0000bzHutRPAtTc.jpg

We saw this amazing island, white sand, no footprints, perfection. Then we realized what it was all about, not just trying to make time, but giving in to the canyon and letting her take over. Not to power through it. We needed to let go, and take every turn as it came.

This camp was a revelation and one that I will never forget. Our family had truly accomplished something, not only did we survive, we did it without killing each other, metaphorically speaking. Watching the sun lower on our own private island on one of our greatest rivers was a healing experience.

I0000rgPSA9_FXbQ.jpg

I0000fIIKc.UZy2Y.jpg

I0000ZSFtFXsVUnA.jpg

I0000R1P9JEBCSQc.jpg

After the second day we just tied the ducky to the canoe, and Nancy read, and napped:

I0000Rr7lXy0U2jY.jpg

I0000rDuNepX8ZJ0.jpg

I0000EFWMCaxjFdY.jpg

I00000MhtWj3K3Wc.jpg

I0000yFujqAG.5_E.jpg

Because of our lack of real progress (the head winds this trip were a bitch), we had about 30 miles to do on the last day to get to the confluence with the Green. We did not have to, but we wanted to. Another image in my head I will never forget was to see that big beach at the confluence (which has not been there for the last 4 years), we paddled straight down the Colorado and crossed the Green, to our last camp spot. We were all stoked, we felt we had accomplished something.

Looking up the Colorado, the Green coming in from the left, I have camped on big beaches across the river on the right and left side of the river on subsequent trips, as this beach does not exist now:

I0000ehBG3BypiBE.jpg

I0000vMqMpHcGc.4.jpg

I0000oUApYCzinDI.jpg

Our son has not accompanied us on a river trip since then, but I think it left a pretty good impression on him, one that he will carry forever. I certanly will not forget this first float trip.
Thanks for looking.

View attachment 31940
Nirvana!

I0000bzHutRPAtTc.jpg

I0000rgPSA9_FXbQ.jpg

I0000fIIKc.UZy2Y.jpg

I0000ZSFtFXsVUnA.jpg

I0000R1P9JEBCSQc.jpg

I0000Rr7lXy0U2jY.jpg

I0000rDuNepX8ZJ0.jpg

I0000EFWMCaxjFdY.jpg

I00000MhtWj3K3Wc.jpg

I0000yFujqAG.5_E.jpg

I0000ehBG3BypiBE.jpg

I0000vMqMpHcGc.4.jpg

I0000oUApYCzinDI.jpg

Thanks for looking.

View attachment 31940

Nice trip, I need to do more river trips.

My middle daughter is 15 this year and we have been trying to figure out something epic to do with her. We figure maybe 3 more years max until she at least wants to take her boyfriend everywhere. Seems like yesterday I was checking her closet for monsters.

Thanks everyone for your comments.
Glasterpiece, did you want to know "how we got out?" as I saw your comment inserted in the description:

I000023bq0p6R4pM.jpg

Nurrgle,
Get them out there while you can, as our son went through a period shortly after this when he saw us as decidedly un-cool. Not to say your experience will be like ours, but 15 was the perfect time.

Nice trip, I need to do more river trips.

My middle daughter is 15 this year and we have been trying to figure out something epic to do with her. We figure maybe 3 more years max until she at least wants to take her boyfriend everywhere. Seems like yesterday I was checking her closet for monsters.

The "monsters" check their closet for Chuck Norris before they turn out the light.

Thanks everyone for your comments.
Glasterpiece, did you want to know "how we got out?" as I saw your comment inserted in the description:

Great!

I000023bq0p6R4pM.jpg

Nurrgle,
Get them out there while you can, as our son went through a period shortly after this when he saw us as decidedly un-cool. Not to say your experience will be like ours, but 15 was the perfect time.

I guess I did want to know how you got out. That was before I knew about water taxi service from Moab. I learned about that and so much more here. Thank you.