Cirque of the Towers - Texas Pass in August

jjmcwill

Just a sanity check here. If I pass through Cirque of the Towers in mid-late August, will Texas Pass be passable without the need for crampons or ice axes?

I gather from the off-trail guidebook that the answer is yes. However, I've seen some trip report photos showing some snow at the top, and I'm wondering if I should be concerned.

Thanks,

Jeff

yes, but it depends on the snow year. august is typically fine. even if there is a little snow, it's not glacial, you can typically kick steps if you had to. should be fine.

yes, but it depends on the snow year. august is typically fine. even if there is a little snow, it's not glacial, you can typically kick steps if you had to. should be fine.

Affirmative. When I went over this past (late) July, the snowfield on the south side was easily traversed. Wait for the afternoon to warm the snow up a bit and you'll be just fine, as it's not a very steep slope. The north side, however, is a different story. No snow when we went through, but it's incredibly steep and loose. If there was any snow lingering over there, things could get hairy. Ironically, the north side doesn't hold nearly as much snow though, so I don't think you have much to worry about. Especially in August. Outstanding route.

Interesting comments about early morning conditions.

My plan is to camp near Shadow lake the day before. I wanted to get over Texas Pass early so that we'd have time to set up tents and spend the rest of the day exploring the cirque of the towers.

My itinerary puts us at Shadow Lake on the August 22nd, and going over Texas Pass early on August 23rd.

Speaking of Shadow lake - has anyone ever hiked from to Barren Lake, and NW up the ravine to Bair Peak? Judging from the contour lines, it looks like the slope isn't too bad - less steep than Illinois Pass or Texas Pass. Nancy doesn't talk about it in the book, perhaps because getting up there doesn't allow you to go anywhere else but back the way you came. However, it looks like it would be an interesting place to get a good panoramic view, and to look down onto Washakie glacier.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
pstm13 Texas Pass Cirque of Towers Lower Wind River Range August 2018 Trip Planning 7
WasatchWill WRHR: Day 2 - Cirque of the Towers to 'Desolation Valley' Backpacking 28
WasatchWill WRHR: Day 1 - Big Sandy to Cirque of the Towers Backpacking 19
marmot_boi Hailey Pass-Cirque of The Towers loop Backpacking 14
WasatchWill Red Castle vs Cirque of the Towers vs Titcomb Trip Planning 50
Wolverine1875 Wind River Range: Llama Trekking from Dickinson Park to The Cirque of The Towers Trip Planning 19
V Scab Creek TH - Cirque of the Towers - Trail Lake Loop Trip Planning 18
Ross Partners for Twin Lakes, Sawtooths+Titcomb & Cirque of the Towers, Winds Trip Planning 8
Christian Cirque Of The Towers Backpacking 20
Nick The Cirque of The Towers Backpacking 14
lostlandscapes Cirque of the Towers, Wind River Range Trip Planning 1
Aldaron Cirque of the Towers Backpacking 10
Mijita Winds from gannett to cirque Trip Planning 16
RalphK Box Elder Cirque Backpacking 1
pstm13 A Family Trip in the Winds: Big Sandy and the Cirque Backpacking 11
Born to Hike Windriver 36 mile loop: Skull Lake, Washakie Pass, South Fork Lakes, Lizard Head Trail, The Cirque, Big Sandy Lake Backpacking 6
Ugly Wind River Range Part 1- Cirque to Shadow Lake Backpacking 20
IntrepidXJ Lone Eagle Cirque Backpacking 2
lostlandscapes Wind River Range: Big Sandy/Deep/Cirque/Texas Loop Backpacking 24
Nick Lizard Head, Washakie, Cirque Loop - Wind Rivers Trip Planning 10
J On to towers of the Sonoran Desert with friends; Nov 21-30, 2020 Hiking & Camping 6
Rockskipper Hiker seriously injured by rock at Fisher Towers General Discussion 12
Titans Fisher Towers and Corkscrew distractions in Utah Hiking & Camping 4
DiscGo Hiking Fisher Towers Hiking & Camping 2
tomcat32 Fisher Towers Hike Hiking & Camping 0
natylka Fisher Towers Section of the Colorado River-Canoe Trip Trip Planning 3
IntrepidXJ Fisher Towers & The Dolores River Overlook Hiking & Camping 15
The Trout Whisperer Show me th cold, icy and snow pics…Burnin up here in Texas! General Discussion 35
RyanP Texas Pass (Winds) in late July Trip Planning 23
toddrparr Easy family backpacking in Big Thicket Preserve, Texas Trip Planning 0
4 New From E Texas Noobs: Introduce yourself! 3
Lincsco Wind Rivers - Texas Pass Trip Planning 5
F Any where good? (in Texas) Trip Planning 4
CavalryRoadie Hey, from Dripping Springs, Texas... Noobs: Introduce yourself! 1
N Howdy from Texas Noobs: Introduce yourself! 1
jjmcwill Southern Wind River Range - Texas Pass on Aug 11th Trip Planning 44
Adventures With BeeGee Trip Report: Palmetto State Park, Texas Hiking & Camping 0
Adventures With BeeGee Some Texas News General Discussion 1
Adventures With BeeGee Lockhart State Park, Texas Hiking & Camping 3
Adventures With BeeGee Noob from Texas Noobs: Introduce yourself! 0
uintahiker Texas High Point: Guadalupe Peak Hiking & Camping 0
Clint_N Arch and Texas Canyons, February 25-28 Backpacking 13
gnwatts Texas Canyon 2008 Backpacking 6