Causey salmon run question

regehr

In 2012 my kids and I went to see the salmon run at the stream at the end of the Skull Crack Trail at Causey and the fish were quite big, well over a foot long and with very distinctive humps.

Today we went back and the creek was full of salmon but they were much smaller, with only a small minority of the fish approaching 12 inches and also they lacked the humps.

Anyone know what's going on here? Are there multiple species of salmon in Causey perhaps?

Things look bigger when you're younger? :)

I went last year and they seemed smaller than I remembered them from several years ago, too.

There's only one species of salmon in Causey (Utah as well)- kokanee. You could have hit the spawn earlier or later then you did last year. Also, the bucks and hens (males and females) look differently- the males get the hump and a more pronounced hook jaw (kype). As I think about it though, they were probably mostly females that you saw this year.

Thanks Ben! I guess the males must come up the stream after the females? Otherwise the whole fertilization thing wouldn't make much sense. But then why didn't we see a ton of dead female salmon two years ago?

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
regehr Causey salmon? Trip Planning 1
uintahiker Salmon Watching at Causey Hiking & Camping 2
TannerT Causey Resevoir Trip Planning 7
Dave Summer Solstice on Causey Reservoir On The Water 9
uintahiker Any camping at Causey Reservoir? Trip Planning 5
Windy Middle Fork Salmon 2018 On The Water 9
Parma Salmon River in Idaho is running very fast now General Discussion 0
Parma Lower Salmon River - Hammer Creek to Heller Bar On The Water 7
Eric Christensen Watching the salmon; our one and only trip Backpacking 3
Nick Dehydrated smoked salmon General Discussion 13
Jeremy C Early season run to Horseshoe Basin Hiking & Camping 7
NECoastalHykur Ketchum Run Overnight - Loyalsock Trail - Pennsylvania - 2020 September 26 Hiking & Camping 6
stevecochranephotography Desert Winter Run Off - Big Dominguez Canyon Hiking & Camping 2
fossana CO Plateau backpacking suggestions for spring run-off season Trip Planning 14
balzaccom Runoff may have finally run off. General Discussion 0
chandlerwest Glacier National Park - I cannot run out of superlatives. Hiking & Camping 20
swmalone Temple Fork Saw Mill Run/Hobble with a fair bit of profanity (On the trail not the report) Everything Else 3
swmalone Muddy Wheeler Creek Trail Run Everything Else 5
swmalone Perry Canyon Trail Run and Adventure Everything Else 3
swmalone Spawn Creek Trail Run Everything Else 7
John Goering Tobacco Root recon run Off Road 7
Jeremy C The South Saskatchewan Photo Run Photography 4
Kullaberg63 Packrafting the Colorado River Daily run at 6000 cfs On The Water 2