Cathedral Valley - Middle Desert Wash

Dave

Broadcaster, formerly "ashergrey"
I'm thinking about running down to Capitol Reef this weekend and staying overnight in Cathedral Valley. I know established trails are few in the area but I'm wondering if anyone has explored much in the Middle Desert Wash area (north of the campground). Looking at satellite imagery I can see a few little canyons, including one with what appears to be a massive dry fall. Anyone have input about the area or other nearby secrets?

i'll warn you that Capitol Reef has been getting a lot of rain lately so definitely check on road conditions.

Yeah, I'll be making a call to the park before setting out. Obviously the trip is weather and conditions-dependent.

Yeah, I'll be making a call to the park before setting out. Obviously the trip is weather and conditions-dependent.
only mentioned it because we had nearly an inch of rain within a half hour here in boulder the other day (with about twenty minutes of dime sized hail mixed in) and i know that the fremont river gorge & central section of the park has been getting hit two or three times as hard as we have & that grand & capitol washes have been closed most of the time over the last month. not sure how much the upper desert has been getting though

only mentioned it because we had nearly an inch of rain within a half hour here in boulder the other day (with about twenty minutes of dime sized hail mixed in) and i know that the fremont river gorge & central section of the park has been getting hit two or three times as hard as we have & that grand & capitol washes have been closed most of the time over the last month. not sure how much the upper desert has been getting though

I appreciate it... never hurts to get an idea of conditions from the locals.

I know Bob Palin spend a lot of time out there guiding folks.
I go to Cathedral Valley a lot but we don't get off the dirt road. I've looked at that area many times and thought I should get out there, but I haven't done it yet. You can ask the park about conditions but they won't have very accurate information, they often get road conditions from me and I haven't been out there in a while. The BLM biologist may have been reporting back to them, the national park rangers don't seem to go out that way often. There has a been a lot of rain in the area so I expect it will be rough but unless it's rained in the previous 24 hours you should be OK with a high clearance 4WD. Stay off the bentonite! I'm not scheduled to go out there again until October so won't be able to update you. The park also has a phone number for road conditions but it's the same information.

Thanks Bob. If the weather's dry the next few days I'll probably chance it. If worse comes to worse, I can play around in the Fruita area instead. I can handle that.

FYI, the roads are in decent condition... with a few exceptions. A culvert on the Caineville road is partially washed out. Another wash crossing had some tricky entry/exit lines. Some of the stretches on both Caineville and Harnett have pretty good ruts. The majority of the washes were dry, though some still had damp spots.

I'll have a full trip report up in a day or so.

FYI, the roads are in decent condition... with a few exceptions. A culvert on the Caineville road is partially washed out. Another wash crossing had some tricky entry/exit lines. Some of the stretches on both Caineville and Harnett have pretty good ruts. The majority of the washes were dry, though some still had damp spots.

I'll have a full trip report up in a day or so.
Looks like the area is going to get hammered today! Looking forward to your full report.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
WasatchWill Cathedral Valley...It's About Time Off Road 3
Ross Invite Cathedral Valley,Halls Creek.Happy canyon,Bisti,Caineville Mesa + more Meet Up (Members Only) 4
Tres Westbrook Death Valley National Park - Day One - Golden Cathedral / Gower Gulch Hiking & Camping 7
hatchcanyon The 2nd "Cathedral Valley" Off Road 10
Melissa Cathedral Valley conditions Trip Planning 2
Nick Cathedral Valley primitive camping Trip Planning 33
IntrepidXJ Quick Cathedral Valley Trip Hiking & Camping 1
Dave Cathedral Valley, Sept. 7-9 2012 Off Road 18
Janice Lizard Head Plateau - overlook Upper Cathedral Lake? Trip Planning 15
C Quick Trip to Golden Cathedral Hiking & Camping 7
JDWalters Access to Escalante River/Lake Powell near Cathedral in the Desert Trip Planning 7
o2bav8 Golden Cathedral - time of day General Discussion 6
Mike K Uintas - Allsop and The Cathedral Backpacking 30
Bob Cathedral of the Desert Canyoneering 1
piper01 Escalante Area Wanderings: Golden Cathedral Hiking & Camping 3
Scott Chandler Cathedral Wash Hiking & Camping 6
IntrepidXJ Golden Cathedral Hiking & Camping 2
Bob Cathedral of the Desert, Clear Creek - Top Access Resource Discussions 5
hatchcanyon Cathedral in the Desert On The Water 17
Nick Cathedral in the Desert On The Water 18
Nick Golden Cathedral Trip Planning 0
John Fowler Neon Canyon and the Golden Cathedral Backpacking 13
regehr kayaking death valley On The Water 1
balzaccom Death Valley in January Hiking & Camping 3
B March at Valley of Fire other recommendations in the area Trip Planning 7
BobFink Mirror Plateau via Pelican Valley and Pelican Creek, July / August 2023 Backpacking 12
Ugly Headless Valley- Film about traveling the Nahanni River General Discussion 5
TractorDoc Cuyahoga Valley National Park (again!) 06/04/2023 Hiking & Camping 6
TractorDoc Cuyahoga Valley National Park 05/28/2023 Hiking & Camping 20
wsp_scott Yosemite Valley 2022 Backpacking 12
TractorDoc Yellowstone's Wrangler Lake, Bog Creek, Joseph's Coat Springs, Broad Creek, Wapiti Lake, Hot Springs Basin, and Pelican Valley. The Second Half. Backpacking 15
TractorDoc Yellowstone's Wrangler Lake, Bog Creek, Joseph's Coat Springs, Broad Creek, Wapiti Lake, Hot Springs Basin, and Pelican Valley. Part One of Two. Backpacking 61
D Onion Valley to Whitney Backpacking 7
TractorDoc Yellowstone's Hayden Valley, Trout Creek, Beach Lake, and Arnica Creek Meadows. September 11, 2022. Hiking & Camping 7
RyanP Goblin Valley SP Expansion General Discussion 3
K Hello from the Salt Lake Valley Noobs: Introduce yourself! 2
balzaccom Death Valley again Hiking & Camping 0
T Death valley Trip Planning 3
WasatchWill WRHR: Day 3 - 'Desolation Valley' to Halls Lake Backpacking 15
WasatchWill WRHR: Day 2 - Cirque of the Towers to 'Desolation Valley' Backpacking 28
TractorDoc Yellowstone's Hayden Valley in a Day -- September 17 2021 Hiking & Camping 27
J Death Valley Natl. Pk. Upper Monarch Canyon plus. Dec 1, 2021 Hiking & Camping 1
J Death Valley Natl. Pk. A Black Mtns and Canyons Traverse Nov 30, 2021 Hiking & Camping 2
J Death Valley Natl. Pk. 6 Days hiking. Nov 14-19, 2021 Hiking & Camping 1
scatman Hayden Valley Loop - Yellowstone National Park - September 17, 2021 Hiking & Camping 34
travel2walk Lamar River, Pelican Valley, & Speciman Ridge loop - Yellowstone, Jun 29 to Jul 3, 2021 Backpacking 15
J Death Valley National Park and Area Mountain Rambles Dec. 16-17, 2020 Hiking & Camping 0
J Death Valley Natl. Pk: Funeral Pk, Slit Canyon, and Big Dune. Dec 21-22, 2020 Hiking & Camping 1
J Death Valley NP Black Mountains and beyond Hiking Dec 19-20, 2020 Hiking & Camping 1
Burrito Death Valley van trip turns into something pretty special General Discussion 7