Carbon Fiber Tent Poles

ogg

I've owned a pair of Komperdell Carbon Fiber trekking poles for some time and they are one of my most prized possessions. Light and yet strong, they've held up really well. Recently, I decided to replace my fairly heavy (for solo use) 2 person freestanding tent with a lighter one and became really intrigued by the Easton Kilo Carbon 2p. Well, its not fully freestanding but is more freestanding than my other solo backpacking tent that sets up with trekking poles and should still work well for the conditions I'd choose to have a freestanding tent. I wonder about the carbon fiber poles, though, as they are quite skinny. Does anyone have experience with the Easton carbon poles or other carbon tent poles? How well have they held up? I'm sure they are quite strong when pitched but do they require some extra care storing or carrying them? I tend to pack my tent poles separately from the tent body but in this case I'm thinking maybe I should roll them up in the tent to help protect them.

Looks interesting, similar layout to the Big Agnes UL2, similar weight.

These guys gave it a real tough review though, I trust their opinion for the most part. Doesn't sound worth it (to me).

My first post in this thread wasn't as clearly written as it should be. I've already purchased the Kilo 2p but was wondering if anyone had some experience with carbon fiber tent poles. They feel sort of fragile yet are reputed to be quite strong. I'm looking forward to getting some bag nights in with tent. Hope those poles hold up!

Some initial impressions of the tent:

The Kilo 2p has gone through at least two revisions since that Outdoor Gear Lab review was written. I think Easton deserves some credit for appearing to have listened to criticism and improved their product. The version that I have, which I think started with the 2014 model year, though mine is a 2015 model, has the cross pole moved forward, a D shaped door instead of upside down U, additional guyout points midway on the long sides of the fly and the inner tent does attach to the fly midway on the long sides. I was pleased how taught the tent pitched with minimal effort. My only reservation aside from concerns about the durability of carbon fiber is that this version of the tent now pitches with somewhat of a flat panel at the end. A Sectionhiker.com review of what I think is the second version of the tent criticized it for lack of space at the foot end; this seems to address that complaint. My concern is that flat panel might tend to catch wind. Then again, the tail shouldn't bellow inward as much as Sectionhiker complained of. Had good pictures of the latest version been available to me while I was researching my purchase, I might have gone with one of the other similar tents I was considering, the MSR Nook or the Mountain Hardwear Supermega UL1. Time will tell, I guess. I haven't yet had the opportunity to try the tent out. Backpacker magazine did give this latest version a thumbs up for performance in relatively high wind. I do have to take that outdoorgearlab review with a grain of salt, though, as their tent seems to be poorly pitched in some of their photos, and I don't agree with some of their assertions, such as silnylon being a better choice for a tent floor.

IMG_1011-M.jpg

Kind of flat at the tail.
IMG_1012-M.jpg

IMG_1008-M.jpg

The color is nice and cheery.
IMG_1014-M.jpg

Sorry, misread. Thought you were considering it, not had it. Looks like a sweet tent. If your concerned about the poles, you can always carry a tube splint and some duct tape in case one breaks on a trip. If you're out on a windy night and you're worried about the flat spot, perhaps you could park the back up near a tree to block the wind on that side?