Car Camping Tent Suggestions

Well, I think I'm going to wait for this to come out in a month or so and give it a shot:

Nice! This must be what replaced their Kingdom series of tents?

so something that I think is pretty important for car camping tents, that many people neglect, is to get some real stakes, not those jokey little wire things that come with most tents these days. for example Kirkhams in SLC used to sell these 8" or 10" iron spikes that probably weigh a quarter-pound each, and if you have a good two-pound hammer they'll go right through the sort of hidden rock that stops or bends a crappy stake. like, weight isn't an issue when car camping and the soil in the desert doesn't want to hold down a big tent -- solution is obvious
I used to have a Springbar (Kirkham's) with extra stakes - still have the stakes and they are truly the best. Snow Peak also sells good stakes.

Nice! This must be what replaced their Kingdom series of tents?
It's not out yet but is supposed to be (according to REI) in the next few months. I think you're right, as the newer Kingdoms have some bad reviews. I think the pre-2019 ones were much better, according to what I've read. The newer ones had issues with wind and leakage.

It's not out yet but is supposed to be (according to REI) in the next few months. I think you're right, as the newer Kingdoms have some bad reviews. I think the pre-2019 ones were much better, according to what I've read. The newer ones had issues with wind and leakage.

Sounds a lot like me - wind and leakage. Ay, Ay, Ay! :D Could use a tune up at this point.

The new Wonderland is out if anyone wants one - so far, members only, but the dividends are also out. I'm going to order one on the REI 20% sale that starts March 18th. Just a head's up if you want one.

The new Wonderland is out if anyone wants one - so far, members only, but the dividends are also out. I'm going to order one on the REI 20% sale that starts March 18th. Just a head's up if you want one.

Thanks for the heads up about the 20% off coupon coming up!

I actually just discovered this one and it's much lighter, so I think it'll be the one.

I'm pretty sure those don't qualify anyway (I looked into it back when I bought mine), so no need to feel bad about that
Exactly what I was going to say as well. I think that they might knock the price down a little bit during certain sales but I believe anything with a GPS you can't use the 20% coupon. I also just recently purchased an inreach. Took advantage of a whole bunch of those $20 coupons that have a limited window. Had family that didn't want to use them so it helped out on the price a little.

I just bought a Springbar Outfitter. I got one that had a patched mesh window for $150 off. I think I may still buy an REI tent for one-nighters when I don't want to stake out, but the Springbar will be my longer stays tent. They just can't be matched for durability and wind and storm ruggedness. It weighs 35 pounds but can be carried in separate bags so won't be too heavy. I'm going to buy a cordless drill and lag bolts to make setting it up easier. I can plug the drill into my solar Jackery. Getting closer to getting out! I'm planning on staying out from April through November, unless I somehow magically get work, but even then I'd be camping.

Last edited:
nice. plus a springbar is probably big enough you can sleep on a cot inside it if you want? it would be fun to 4-season with a tent like this using some sort of hot tent setup

Springbar does sell a hot tent (the Classic Jack), along with a stove. This one is big enough for a cot. I ordered a footprint with it and will put rugs down on the floor inside. I really wanted a Traveller (much bigger), which I used to have, but they're just too heavy for me at 60#. I camped in my Traveller for a couple of summers and it was like a palace. One time I was in a campground in Montana and high winds came in and my Springbar was the only tent left standing. I hardly even knew there was a windstorm until the next morning and everyone else's tents were down. BTW, Springbar has a locals only section where you can go pick up your tent. (It actually has an Outfitter listed.) They're having trouble keeping tents in stock, they're so popular.

Last edited:
I'm going to buy a cordless drill and lag bolts to make setting it up easier.
For lag screws you will want a cordless IMPACT DRIVER which is designed to drive in fasteners . A drill could work but not as well. You can drill holes with a n IMPACT DRIVER if properly equipped. What size lags are you considering? Bigger lags equals bigger IMPACT DRIVER.

The Springbar FB page has several people recommending 8” or 10” with 3/8 x14” for sand.

Thanks for the heads up on the driver vs. drill. Good to know. Do you recommend any particular brand?

Springbar does sell a hot tent (the Classic Jack), along with a stove. This one is big enough for a cot. I ordered a footprint with it and will put rugs down on the floor inside. I really wanted a Traveller (much bigger), which I used to have, but they're just too heavy for me at 60#. I camped in my Traveller for a couple of summers and it was like a palace. One time I was in a campground in Montana and high winds came in and my Springbar was the only tent left standing. I hardly even knew there was a windstorm until the next morning and everyone else's tents were down. BTW, Springbar has a locals only section where you can go pick up your tent. (It actually has an Outfitter listed.) They're having trouble keeping tents in stock, they're so popular.
great they're doing OK following the closing of the Kirkham's store

The Springbar FB page has several people recommending 8” or 10” with 3/8 x14” for sand.

Thanks for the heads up on the driver vs. drill. Good to know. Do you recommend any particular brand?
I was thinking of a larger diameter than 3/8 but maybe that is what fits the hole on the tent. There are 1/4 " and 1/2" impact drivers. 1/4 " is for driving deck screws ,etc and 1/2" would probably take the lugnuts off your vehicle. The major brands like DEWALT, MAKITA MILWAUKEE are all very good but cost more of course. If you want to buy other cordless tools it is nice to have batteries that are interchangeable within the same brand. I think that an IMPACT DRIVER is a more useful tool than a drill. You might want to get an accessory box of drill bits and driver bits for who knows what. You will need to buy a driver bit and socket to drive the lag. Good Luck.