Capitol Reef/Escalante 2018

Nethos

Hey all,

I'm headed to Utah with some friends At the end of March for 10-11 days. We have spent considerable time in the area, especially in the Needles district where we often spend 4-5 nights a year freelancing and exploring that area off trail.

This year we'll do the same, but are looking to break out of our usual habits as well. Hoping that some of you can recommend some areas to us that might be similar the style we like; dayhike or backpack(ideally with a base camp), easyish to navigate and good opportunities for freelancing/exploring without technical climbing or roping. We like more open areas that have a lot of depth/route options a la the Needles, but are not opposed to slots unless there's time to be spent in waist deep muck(Coyote). We are more interested in exploring than crushing miles, especially away from the crowds. We have liked Spring Canyon in Capitol Reef, if that's helpful.

We are all in good shape and familiar with the conditions and challenges of desert hiking. (Though it'll be a bit colder than when we normally come in September). Open to just about anywhere in Southern Utah.

I appreciate any help/advice you can provide in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey man, long time no see. I hope you & the wife are doing well.

I'm not much help on southern Utah, but others here will chime in, I imagine. But meanwhile..... did you happen to keep any contact info for my friend Mo (who hiked with us/you in the Winds?) He is back living in southern Utah [temporarily] and knows a lot about the area - I don't know if he mentioned to you, he grew up there. Anyway, I'll be chatting with him this afternoon, I'll let him know you're asking about the area.

Cheers!

[PS: I still haven't finished up my photos of the Winds trip yet, but I'll let you know when I get back to them and get them up. Got some decent ones of you and your wife. ]

What about the Waterpocket Fold area - dayhike Upper Muley Twist, short backpack down Lower Muley Twist, backpack down thru Halls Creek Narrows. That sounds pretty fun. Call it 6 days maybe?

I did an overnight trip in Lower Spring Canyon a few months ago and I would recommend it. We didn't see any other people the entire time we were there. The only real water crossing is the Fremont River. Spring Canyon can be connected with other trails to make a multi-day backpacking trip. I haven't done the multi-day trip yet but hopefully soon.

I did an overnight trip in Lower Spring Canyon a few months ago and I would recommend it. We didn't see any other people the entire time we were there. The only real water crossing is the Fremont River. Spring Canyon can be connected with other trails to make a multi-day backpacking trip. I haven't done the multi-day trip yet but hopefully soon.

We have been to Spring. Definitely up our alley.

What about the Waterpocket Fold area - dayhike Upper Muley Twist, short backpack down Lower Muley Twist, backpack down thru Halls Creek Narrows. That sounds pretty fun. Call it 6 days maybe?

Super. Will check it out!

Hey man, long time no see. I hope you & the wife are doing well.

I'm not much help on southern Utah, but others here will chime in, I imagine. But meanwhile..... did you happen to keep any contact info for my friend Mo (who hiked with us/you in the Winds?) He is back living in southern Utah [temporarily] and knows a lot about the area - I don't know if he mentioned to you, he grew up there. Anyway, I'll be chatting with him this afternoon, I'll let him know you're asking about the area.

Cheers!

[PS: I still haven't finished up my photos of the Winds trip yet, but I'll let you know when I get back to them and get them up. Got some decent ones of you and your wife. ]

Hey! I am also slacking on my photos. Yes. I was planning on getting in touch with Mo.

Hope all is well with you.

Best,

-c

It would be hard to go wrong by base camping along the Old Sheffield road (Spencer Flats) between Escalante and Boulder for a few days. There are plenty of nice quiet car camping spots not far off the road that will get the warmth of the sun early, and a number of day hikes close by, with terrain that offers lots of options for off-trail rambling on colourful sandstone. Phipps Arch, the "Volcano", Red Breaks and Big Horn Canyon are the ones that we have done.

It would be hard to go wrong by base camping along the Old Sheffield road (Spencer Flats) between Escalante and Boulder for a few days. There are plenty of nice quiet car camping spots not far off the road that will get the warmth of the sun early, and a number of day hikes close by, with terrain that offers lots of options for off-trail rambling on colourful sandstone. Phipps Arch, the "Volcano", Red Breaks and Big Horn Canyon are the ones that we have done.

Thank you. This is very much the kind of stuff we are looking for.

You might also look into camping along the Burr Trail or the Wolverine Loop and checking out some of the canyons and such in the area.

You might also look into camping along the Burr Trail or the Wolverine Loop and checking out some of the canyons and such in the area.

Thank you. I looked a little bit into this area and it seemed like a good bet. How is the Burr Trail road for 2WD?

Till the border of CRNP, BTR is paved.
Wolverine Loop is pretty nice. You can also setup your (base) camp in Horse Canyon and explore the area towards Escalante river, Lower Gulch, etc. 1000 and 1 possibilities. :)

Gesendet vom iPhone mit Tapatalk