Capitol Reef backcountry recommendations?

msa6

My wife and I will visit CR for the first time in early May. We are looking for a two night backcountry hike, not terribly ambitious (her knees are iffy), but something that will give us a good flavor for the park. We will be ready to hit the trail mid-afternoon the first day, so we won't be doing more than a couple of miles on day one. We'd probably be up for 8-12 on day two, and would hope to be off the trail by late morning on day three.

I guess the other proviso is that her knees won't be happy with excessive up and down!

Suggestions? Thanks!

Upper Muley Twist is fantastic, but no water. Dry camp only. Worth it to me.

Lower Muley Twist is great as well, take a side trip to see the beautiful Hamburger Rocks. Water Available.

I concur with slc_dan......Both those hikes are awesome. Lower Muley Twist is easier to get to with a normal car and it does have a few natural water tanks. The water needs to be filtered for sure.

Thanks for the replies.

One thing I forgot to add about my wife...she's not big on heights either! The park pdfs on both hikes speaks about steep exposures, sliprock. Are these particularly "challenging"? Any way to avoid, or use some webbing to secure?

If "it is what it is", ideas on other routes to consider?

Take a look at Lower Spring Canyon if you're worried about exposure. The only exposed section is a very short pour-off bypass that could be tricky if it were REALLY wet, but it's very short. Trekking poles would get you through just fine if it were slick. The only real difficulties would be working it out as a shuttle and fording the Fremont at the end.

As far as steepness, there is a short steep section of trail at the very beginning before you ever get to the canyon, but the rest should be downhill as you're just following a watercourse.

Chimney Rock TH to the end of Lower Spring Canyon is only 9ish miles total, I believe, so making it be a two night stay would require creativity. You could hike in, head up Upper Spring at the junction and spend the night somewhere in there, then head down into Lower Spring the next day and check out the narrows and pour-offs.

Upper Muley is not so great if exposure is an issue. Lower Muley has the little section if you hike in from the cut-off trail and it was not a big deal. My wife is not a fun of exposure and she was okay. We took all our own water as it is a long way to the first water tank (Muley Tanks I believe) and they are not all that reliable.

Thanks again for the replies. I think I'd prefer to do Lower Muley. Looks like the "severe exposure" is a short ways from the Post trailhead, so if it didn't work for my wife, we could turn around and head south down the Halls Creek Drainage, and do the hike as an out and back.

Lower Muley is right up your alley. If she's not big on the Post cutoff, you can always walk up the Burr Trail switchbacks instead.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
TrailScot Capitol Reef NP - Scenic Drive closure for several months General Discussion 0
TrailScot Golden Throne Circuit - Capitol Reef - October 2023 Hiking & Camping 5
TrailScot Capitol Reef NP - 5 Day Backpacking Adventure from Chimney Rock to Burro Wash - October 2023 Backpacking 10
WasatchWill Seeking Family History in Capitol Reef Backpacking 11
NorthwestWanderer 4 Days Backpacking Capitol Reef : Spring Canyon & Various side canyons Backpacking 5
Stephanie B Fishing (for Trout) and Hunting (for Rock Art) In and Near Capitol Reef National Park Hiking & Camping 7
IntrepidXJ Capitol Reef: Pilot Canyoneering Permit System General Discussion 0
Titans Prescribed burn South Monroe Mountain- photos from Capitol Reef area Photography 0
Stephanie B Capitol Reef National Park - First Real Visit Hiking & Camping 6
WasatchWill Backpacking Pleasant Pocket Mesa, Capitol Reef NP Backpacking 15
JulieKT Capitol Reef Temple of the Moon vandalism General Discussion 8
S Spring Canyon, Capitol Reef-vehicle shuttle Sun, Mar 24. Meet Up (Members Only) 0
WasatchWill Beehive Traverse - Through the Heart of Capitol Reef's Waterpocket Fold Backpacking 39
fossana Spring Canyon/Sulphur Canyon loop (Capitol Reef) Hiking & Camping 24
Jackson A Solo Stroll Near Capitol Reef Backpacking 17
Outdoors24 Overnight in Capitol Reef: A trip that ended early Backpacking 12
regehr Capitol Reef Star Party Trip Planning 0
J Capitol Reef Natl Park, Dayhikes March 29-April 2, 2018 Hiking & Camping 2
Nethos Capitol Reef/Escalante 2018 Trip Planning 11
Reef&Ruins Elf Slipper at Capitol Reef General Discussion 1
Ravialdo Capitol Reef in September? Trip Planning 3
WasatchWill Two trips in one at Capitol Reef Backpacking 12
Perry Capitol Reef NP - Navajo Knobs Trail Hiking & Camping 3
Perry Capitol Reef NP - Cassidy Arch from Cohab Canyon Trail Hiking & Camping 4
Perry Capitol Reef NP Hiking and Road Trip Suggestions Wanted Trip Planning 1
Parma Capitol Reef, Upper Muley Twist Day Hike Backpacking 19
J Dayhiking Capitol Reef Natl Park, Back to Utah! April 5-8, 2017 Hiking & Camping 4
Nick Cedar to Capitol Reef Hiking & Camping 11
Writhdar Waterpocket Canyon (Capitol Reef) non-technical access to upper part? General Discussion 1
WasatchWill Hiking Capitol Reef's Navajo Knobs Hiking & Camping 8
Seldom Seen Anderson Capitol Reef Ultras Trail Marking Hiking & Camping 2
CaptnKidd North End of Lake Powell and Southern Tip of Capitol Reef Hiking & Camping 11
IntrepidXJ Birthday Weekend in Capitol Reef Hiking & Camping 13
Jammer Rock the Park TV Series -- Capitol Reef General Discussion 6
Jammer Zion to Capitol Reef Hike Backpacking 21
uintahiker Fremont River Waterfall -Capitol Reef General Discussion 3
nsato311 Capitol Reef and Hanksville Trip Planning 3
WasatchWill Going Solo in Capitol Reef Backpacking 27
Jammer Zion to Capitol Reef Trip Planning 25
piper01 Southern UT in April: Cedar Mesa, Capitol Reef, GSENM Trip Planning 6
bscuderi capitol reef help Trip Planning 7
Joey Capitol Reef's Spring Canyon and Sulphur Creek loop from Holt Draw Backpacking 12
WasatchWill Invite Capitol Reef Loop: April 9 - 11 Meet Up (Members Only) 0
natylka Hiking 25 miles at Capitol reef for the weekend. Hiking & Camping 19
Ron Diel Nine Days in Capitol Reef Hiking & Camping 9
steve Where are your favorite primitive camping spots near Capitol Reef/Torrey? General Discussion 6
uintafly Capitol Reef in April Trip Planning 8
steve Thanksgiving: Capitol Reef to Boulder Mountain Off Road 5
pixie1339 Invite Anyone going to Capitol Reef this weekend? Meet Up (Members Only) 4
Christian Bryce, GSENM and Capitol Reef Hiking & Camping 17