Canyonlands NP Needles backpacking permit in winter

TrailScot

From Recreation.gov:

The Needles District Visitor Center will be closed for the winter. Backcountry permits for the Needles District will only be available first come, first served at a self issue station outside of the Visitor Center from November 29, 2021 through March 9, 2022

Does anyone have experience of how this works practically ? So, for example, if I arrive on March 1st, and want to hike into Salt Creek for 3 days, how will I know what campsites are currently available ?

I am picturing a huge whiteboard, with 3 months worth of dates, for all 25 campsites/zones; but I guess that is unlikely :)

Naw, no whiteboard. haha
This is government, think more simple.

The past few years there has been a register outside the VC at Needles. More like a few sheets of paper with a calendar, grid thing with the main campsites and areas. You block out the campsite/date, fill out your permit, and sometimes they also have wag bags in a box next to the register (required btw). There is also a place to dispose used wags. There is a ranger presence, usually driving around, asking questions and honestly helpful.
The trick with March and nice weather is popularity goes up.

Naw, no whiteboard. haha
This is government, think more simple.

The past few years there has been a register outside the VC at Needles. More like a few sheets of paper with a calendar, grid thing with the main campsites and areas. You block out the campsite/date, fill out your permit, and sometimes they also have wag bags in a box next to the register (required btw). There is also a place to dispose used wags. There is a ranger presence, usually driving around, asking questions and honestly helpful.
The trick with March and nice weather is popularity goes up.

Thanks for that information ... that is useful to know ...

Noone checks, though, at least at the times I was there(edit: may be a whole 'nother ballgame by March). No stress about sticking to a set schedule or campsite when noone else is around. December was my 3rd out-of-season visit of 2020-2021. I saw two other backpackers on the first trip. Everyone else I've seen has been a runner or dayhiker. I spent 2 nights at Peekaboo, coming and going, and another at SC4, and didn't see another person for 3 days. Very nice.
More Ranger presence this last time, and the Visitor Center/gift shop was even open on the weekend.
I didn't know this before, but they have Wifi there, though it may only be on when they're open(?).

Just a note too that the Needles has far less ice and snow than any of the last 4 years. It does get a bit busier every year on the weekends, but there were only 2 campsites taken at Squaw on Thursday night. In the backcountry only a few spots were marked off for the weekend. As the weather improves that will change. I know online at .gov it looks 90% booked everywhere from March on.

I did not check the Wifi today, so could not say. Only the bathrooms were open.
Saw a ranger emptying trash at 7am Saturday morning, but that was all.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
Desertratgal Backpacking/Packrafting Needles and Maze Districts of Canyonlands Trip Planning 3
angeedraper Canyonlands - Needles 2 Night Backpacking (April 29-May1) Backpacking 0
JBPHXAZ Canyonlands Needles Backpacking Suggestions Trip Planning 8
rinats Canyonlands/Needles: Salt Creek to Chesler Park Trip Planning 6
SeanIsADesertRat Interesting/mysterious patterns Needles District, Canyonlands General Discussion 19
J Canyonlands Needles District simple backpack with a close friend April 1-3, 2021 Backpacking 2
AKay09 Canyonlands NP: Needles District 4/24-4/27 Backpacking 11
K Hiking the Needles Canyonlands Trip Planning 9
J Canyonlands Natl Park Needles District Circumnavigation April 9 to 15, 2018 Backpacking 1
JDWalters Canyonlands/ Needles District question Trip Planning 5
Mike Schasch Canyonlands/Needles hiking along river Trip Planning 7
George_Washington_Hayduke Canyonlands Figure 8: Packrafting Loop through the Needles and Maze District Backpacking 3
C day hikes in Canyonlands Needles in late November Trip Planning 19
J Canyonlands Needles Dist.: Crosscanyon Backpack Traverse April 10-15, 2016 Backpacking 1
Sarah Canyonlands: Hiking the Needles and Island in the Sky Hiking & Camping 6
IntrepidXJ Bear-proof gear will be required at Needles District of Canyonlands General Discussion 36
Melissa Suggestions for shuttle hike in the Needles district of Canyonlands Trip Planning 17
Tyler Canyonlands NP: Needles District (Paul Bunyans Potty, Tower Ruin, and Druid Arch) May 2008 Hiking & Camping 3
M Canyonlands, and some random routes Trip Planning 7
Desertratgal Packrafting Canyonlands Round 2: Dates? Trip Planning 2
Desertratgal 5 Days Solo Packrafting Canyonlands On The Water 4
Desertratgal Canyonlands Packrafting Rough Draft Trip Planning 18
dpnoll Colorado Canyonlands Backpacking 10
IntrepidXJ Arches and Canyonlands National Parks Accepting Comments on Proposed Fee Increases for Backcountry Operations General Discussion 38
Laura V. Bears in Salt Creek Canyon, Canyonlands Trip Planning 76
IntrepidXJ Canyonlands Permits going to Recreation.gov General Discussion 4
J Family hike in the Maze in June? (Canyonlands / Moab) Am I crazy? Trip Planning 5
Parma Pssst, don't tell anyone but Canyonlands is opening up General Discussion 3
gnwatts BLM Oil and Gas lease auction, Arches, Canyonlands, Bears Ears etc. General Discussion 5
DouginGJCO Hiking &/or backpacking partner for Canyonlands Natl Park and nearby Noobs: Introduce yourself! 0
OwenM Canyonlands in winter/off-season Trip Planning 19
chandlerwest Monument Basin - Canyonlands NP - Not enough hours in a day. Hiking & Camping 6
P Salt creek in Canyonlands Trip Planning 13
Parma Missing Person In Canyonlands General Discussion 2
U Maze District of Canyonlands question Trip Planning 15
M Water in Canyonlands Salt Creek early April? Trip Planning 11
zionsky Arches & Canyonlands closed due to snow General Discussion 12
Benjamin Hayden Looking for advice on Maze District, Canyonlands Trip Planning 1
C cave of 200 hands in Canyonlands Trip Planning 0
IntrepidXJ Canyonlands National Park: Expanded Bear Container Requirements General Discussion 7
D Canyonlands 1976 Backpacking 2
Brian Skibbe Moab, Arches NP, Canyonlands NP. May 2017 Hiking & Camping 3
J "Mazing" Six day backpack in Canyonlands Maze Dist. Pt 2. April 13-15, 2017 Backpacking 8
J "Mazing" Six day backpack in Canyonlands Maze Dist. Pt 1. April 10-12, 2017 Backpacking 0
blueeyes Canyonlands/Moab Jug Handle Bikepack Loop March 18, 2017 Everything Else 21
C Canyonlands: Chesler Park, Virginia Park ??? Trip Planning 7
C Horse Canyon on Canyonlands Trip Planning 7
D 2 or 3 DayTrip To Canyonlands National Park Trip Planning 34
Vegan.Hiker Canyonlands NP (Part 4 of 4) Backpacking 14
Vegan.Hiker Canyonlands NP (Part 3 of 4) On The Water 8