Canyonlands Needles District simple backpack with a close friend April 1-3, 2021

John Morrow

I was delighted that about a week before departing for the desert, my friend Lori called to say she'd take a week off of work and fly into Grand Junction to join me for a few hikes. I crafted a plan for a couple backpacks and secured permits. It had been 10 years since we'd been in Southern Utah together and she'd never been to Canyonlands nor Greater Bears Ears. We started with two nights in the heart of Canyonlands National Park Needles District. Our plans for Bears Ears backpacking were continually modified as the Zags Men's hoop team made their run to the NCAA Championship Game. But, this is a Canyonlands report first.
April 1:
I picked up Lori at the Grand Junction Airport around noon. We had time to shop for food in Moab, pick up our permit, pack and hike into our first camp at Elephant Canyon EC1 Camp, a short hike from Elephant Hill TH.

Elephant Canyon Evening
by John Morrow, on Flickr

Not sure what is going on here...

April 2:

We packed up leisurely, hiked to the Elephant Canyon/Chesler Park junction, and stashed packs. Then we did the wonderful hike to Druid Arch at the head of Elephant Canyon.

Lori heads toward Druid Arch

deepening canyon

vertical

infamous (poor afternoon light)

Then back down canyon and on toward Chesler Park for our second night camp at Chesler Park CP4 Camp. Once again I explored for routes to Chesler Wash/Virginia Park to no success.

Down Elephant Canyon

Lori for perspective

Arriving into Chesler

CP4!

Evening Light by John Morrow, on Flickr

April 3:

Another leisurely morning and great (camp) neighbor conversation and we were off to complete the Chesler Loop Trail back to the TH.

Fins to Ernies Country

Above Elephant Canyon

Chesler Park

Then it was time to find a Television to watch the Final Four Gonzaga vs. UCLA and it did not disappoint!!!!

That Gonzaga-UCLA game was the best college game I've seen in quite a while. Too bad the final was such a dud.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
SeanIsADesertRat Interesting/mysterious patterns Needles District, Canyonlands General Discussion 19
AKay09 Canyonlands NP: Needles District 4/24-4/27 Backpacking 11
J Canyonlands Natl Park Needles District Circumnavigation April 9 to 15, 2018 Backpacking 1
JDWalters Canyonlands/ Needles District question Trip Planning 5
George_Washington_Hayduke Canyonlands Figure 8: Packrafting Loop through the Needles and Maze District Backpacking 3
IntrepidXJ Bear-proof gear will be required at Needles District of Canyonlands General Discussion 36
Melissa Suggestions for shuttle hike in the Needles district of Canyonlands Trip Planning 17
Tyler Canyonlands NP: Needles District (Paul Bunyans Potty, Tower Ruin, and Druid Arch) May 2008 Hiking & Camping 3
rinats Canyonlands/Needles: Salt Creek to Chesler Park Trip Planning 6
Desertratgal Backpacking/Packrafting Needles and Maze Districts of Canyonlands Trip Planning 3
TrailScot Canyonlands NP Needles backpacking permit in winter General Discussion 5
angeedraper Canyonlands - Needles 2 Night Backpacking (April 29-May1) Backpacking 0
JBPHXAZ Canyonlands Needles Backpacking Suggestions Trip Planning 8
K Hiking the Needles Canyonlands Trip Planning 9
Mike Schasch Canyonlands/Needles hiking along river Trip Planning 7
C day hikes in Canyonlands Needles in late November Trip Planning 19
J Canyonlands Needles Dist.: Crosscanyon Backpack Traverse April 10-15, 2016 Backpacking 1
Sarah Canyonlands: Hiking the Needles and Island in the Sky Hiking & Camping 6
M Canyonlands, and some random routes Trip Planning 7
Desertratgal Packrafting Canyonlands Round 2: Dates? Trip Planning 2
Desertratgal 5 Days Solo Packrafting Canyonlands On The Water 4
Desertratgal Canyonlands Packrafting Rough Draft Trip Planning 18
dpnoll Colorado Canyonlands Backpacking 10
IntrepidXJ Arches and Canyonlands National Parks Accepting Comments on Proposed Fee Increases for Backcountry Operations General Discussion 38
Laura V. Bears in Salt Creek Canyon, Canyonlands Trip Planning 76
IntrepidXJ Canyonlands Permits going to Recreation.gov General Discussion 4
J Family hike in the Maze in June? (Canyonlands / Moab) Am I crazy? Trip Planning 5
Parma Pssst, don't tell anyone but Canyonlands is opening up General Discussion 3
gnwatts BLM Oil and Gas lease auction, Arches, Canyonlands, Bears Ears etc. General Discussion 5
DouginGJCO Hiking &/or backpacking partner for Canyonlands Natl Park and nearby Noobs: Introduce yourself! 0
OwenM Canyonlands in winter/off-season Trip Planning 19
chandlerwest Monument Basin - Canyonlands NP - Not enough hours in a day. Hiking & Camping 6
P Salt creek in Canyonlands Trip Planning 13
Parma Missing Person In Canyonlands General Discussion 2
U Maze District of Canyonlands question Trip Planning 15
M Water in Canyonlands Salt Creek early April? Trip Planning 11
zionsky Arches & Canyonlands closed due to snow General Discussion 12
Benjamin Hayden Looking for advice on Maze District, Canyonlands Trip Planning 1
C cave of 200 hands in Canyonlands Trip Planning 0
IntrepidXJ Canyonlands National Park: Expanded Bear Container Requirements General Discussion 7
D Canyonlands 1976 Backpacking 2
Brian Skibbe Moab, Arches NP, Canyonlands NP. May 2017 Hiking & Camping 3
J "Mazing" Six day backpack in Canyonlands Maze Dist. Pt 2. April 13-15, 2017 Backpacking 8
J "Mazing" Six day backpack in Canyonlands Maze Dist. Pt 1. April 10-12, 2017 Backpacking 0
blueeyes Canyonlands/Moab Jug Handle Bikepack Loop March 18, 2017 Everything Else 21
C Canyonlands: Chesler Park, Virginia Park ??? Trip Planning 7
C Horse Canyon on Canyonlands Trip Planning 7
D 2 or 3 DayTrip To Canyonlands National Park Trip Planning 34
Vegan.Hiker Canyonlands NP (Part 4 of 4) Backpacking 14
Vegan.Hiker Canyonlands NP (Part 3 of 4) On The Water 8