Canoeing the Chubb - Lake Placid 2017

kwc

A day trip out & back on the Chubb River near Lake Placid NY. One quarter mile portage along the way. With our son (who lives in Alaska ... he was in LP with our grandson who was participating in a CanAm Hockey Camp).
DSCN5245.JPG
heading out along the Chubb ...

fullsizeoutput_1c5c.jpeg
the portage trail ...

fullsizeoutput_1c5b.jpeg
our canoes at the end of the portage ... we also had our kayak (much heavier than our boats)
DSCN5271.JPG
after the portage ...

DSCN5282.JPG
a bit farther in ...

DSCN5287.JPG
fullsizeoutput_1c67.jpeg
some wildlife along the way back ...

it was a beautiful day for a paddle ...

Sublimity is something New York is fortunate to have an abundance of. Thank you for sharing.

Nice to see this side of NY. I never would have guessed that is where these photos came from. Thanks for opening my eyes!

Reactions: kwc
Love it! Thanks for sharing. Have you guys done or ever thought of paddling the Northern Forest Canoe Trail?

Nice to see this side of NY. I never would have guessed that is where these photos came from. Thanks for opening my eyes!

@Miya ... there is much to NY State than NY City!! :)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adirondack_Park "The park's 6.1 million acres (2.5×106 ha) include more than 10,000 lakes, 30,000 miles of rivers and streams, and a wide variety of habitats including wetlands and old-growth forests."

Love it! Thanks for sharing. Have you guys done or ever thought of paddling the Northern Forest Canoe Trail?
We have not ... yet. Our canoe trips have been day trips so far ... we aim to change that this summer. We'd like to spend more time in the Bog River area ... it was really beautiful in there.

@scatman Wenonah Wee Lassies. Roughly 11 feet long, 24 lbs.

Believe it or not, I've got two Wenonahs too! I've got the Spirit II and the Minnesota II. I'll see if I can dig up some pictures.

I'm taking my daughter on a 14 day trip around Yellowstone Lake in the summer of 2019 for her graduation from high school gift. Assuming I make it through this coming summer of course. :) You need to strap your Wee Lassies on your vehicle(s) and head out to my neck of the woods and join us. :twothumbs:

@kwc

Wenonah_01.jpg
Lady Scat and Scat Kids on Lewis Lake, YNP with our Minnesota II. Those kids look kind of cold! :cold:

Wenonah_02.jpg
Full shot of the Minnesota II on Yellowstone Lake

Wenonah_03.jpg
And last but not least, the Scat with his loyal confidant on Shoshone Lake, YNP in the Spirit II. I'm guessing the loyal confidant is leading us somewhere we ought not to be. ;)

Believe it or not, I've got two Wenonahs too! I've got the Spirit II and the Minnesota II. I'll see if I can dig up some pictures.

I'm taking my daughter on a 14 day trip around Yellowstone Lake in the summer of 2019 for her graduation from high school gift. Assuming I make it through this coming summer of course. :) You need to strap your Wee Lassies on your vehicle(s) and head out to my neck of the woods and join us. :twothumbs:

@scatman THAT may be a real possibility!!! I'll be retired by then and we are planning on hitting the road and doing some more exploring. Yellowstone has been on our radar for quite some time (our last visit with the boys was roughly 24 years ago) ... along with Glacier (we've never visited there) and others. :twothumbs::twothumbs:

@kwc

View attachment 63786
And last but not least, the Scat with his loyal confidant on Shoshone Lake, YNP in the Spirit II. I'm guessing the loyal confidant is leading us somewhere we ought not to be. ;)

I like how your loyal confidant has no shirt, hat, and is wearing shorts ... yet @scatman sports a long sleeved shirt, hat, and long pants.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
kwc How things can change in a month … canoeing in the southern Adirondacks On The Water 2
kwc More Adirondack Canoeing - Mason Lake On The Water 2
kwc It's hot ... so let's go canoeing! On The Water 4
kwc Adirondack Canoeing 2018 On The Water 1
kwc Even More Adirondack Canoeing On The Water 0
kwc More Adirondack Canoeing On The Water 3
kwc An Adirondack Canoeing Day Trip On The Water 6
Nanda Flaming Gorge Canoeing On The Water 3
Tres Westbrook Canoeing on the Colorado - Glen Canyon Dam to Lee's Ferry On The Water 4
scatman Grebe Lake - September 4th through the 6th, 2024 Meet Up (Members Only) 20
K How long in Lake Bled? Trip Planning 1
wsp_scott Yellowstone Lake to Brooks Lake (Aug 2023) Backpacking 16
Mikjik86 Backpacking Indian Peaks Wilderness - King Lake - August, 2023 Backpacking 0
Ugly Two Popular Lake Basins in the Cascades Backpacking 12
TheMountainRabbit Ortenburger Lake, Talus Lake, & Glacier Peak (Grand Teton NP) - October 2023 Backpacking 14
kwc Fall hike to Chase Lake, Southern Adirondacks Hiking & Camping 1
TrektheWorld Red Deer Lake & Beyond Backpacking 10
shredhiker Thorofare, Heart Lake, Snake River Sept. 2023 Backpacking 16
Bob Wind Rivers - Short Trip to Cook Lake Trip Reports 9
regehr (Uintas) Lake Fork Fun Backpacking 8
Timber High Sierra - North Lake to South Lake Loop - Layover Day Trip Planning 9
kwc Limekiln Lake paddle On The Water 0
shredhiker YNP Fawn Pass to Sportsman, Crescent, Shelf Lake Backpacking 11
Bob The Thorofare to Brooks Lake - 9 Days in Pictures Backpacking 10
Janice Lizard Head Plateau - overlook Upper Cathedral Lake? Trip Planning 15
uintafly Chepeta Lake to Hayden Pass Trip Planning 0
DrNed Naturalist Basin: Blue Lake to Shaler Lake? Trip Planning 12
shredhiker YNP Fawn Pass to Sportsman & Crescent Lake Trip Planning 14
kwc Jockeybush Lake- southern Adirondacks Hiking & Camping 0
shredhiker Yellowstone Heart Lake September 2022 Backpacking 9
TheMountainRabbit Black Lake (Rocky Mountain NP) - January 2023 Hiking & Camping 3
Ross Any Lake Powell experts who can advice on changed conditions at dramatically new lake levels? Trip Planning 3
NorthwestWanderer Backpacking Grand Teton National Park : Fossil Pass,Fox Creek Pass,Indian Lake,Alaska Basin,Hurricane Pass,Ice Floe Lake,& Snowdrift Lake Backpacking 19
NorthwestWanderer 8 Day High Sierra trek : Humphreys Basin, Star Col, Granite Park, Lake Italy & Piute Canyon 6/25-7/2/22 Backpacking 7
TractorDoc Yellowstone's Wrangler Lake, Bog Creek, Joseph's Coat Springs, Broad Creek, Wapiti Lake, Hot Springs Basin, and Pelican Valley. The Second Half. Backpacking 15
kwc Another Southern Adirondacks hike - Clockmill Pond and Rock Lake Hiking & Camping 0
TractorDoc Yellowstone's Wrangler Lake, Bog Creek, Joseph's Coat Springs, Broad Creek, Wapiti Lake, Hot Springs Basin, and Pelican Valley. Part One of Two. Backpacking 61
kwc Round Lake, north central Adirondacks, in the Round Lake Wilderness On The Water 2
Jackson Heart Lake and Snake River for Labor Day Backpacking 23
scatman Pacific Creek, Moss Lake and Gravel Lake - Teton Wilderness - October 7, 2022 Backpacking 32
TractorDoc Yellowstone's Hayden Valley, Trout Creek, Beach Lake, and Arnica Creek Meadows. September 11, 2022. Hiking & Camping 7
balzaccom Obata Lake...xc in Yosemite Backpacking 0
scatman Grizzly Lake - September 7, 2022 Backpacking 31
P Yellowstone, one night by a lake Backpacking 19
kwc A Few More Photos from Scatman’s Grizzly Lake trip … Backpacking 3
P Scatman's Grizzly Lake hike, 2022 Backpacking 28
P Yellowstone--Heart Lake to South Entrance Backpacking 13
scatman Shoshone Lake Lollipop Loop - Yellowstone National Park - July 24, 2022 Backpacking 63
T How big are the Mirror Lake campgrounds in the Porkies? Trip Planning 6
Georgia Yankee Apostle Islands, Lake Superior (again), June 2022 On The Water 4