Campbell Icefield Chalet

SteveR

Full disclosure here- my wife Jo and I typically spend a few weeks each winter as hut keepers at Campbell Icefield Chalet, a backcountry ski lodge located in a remote area northeast of Golden, B.C.
Access is by a ten minute heli flight out of Donald, off the highway north of Golden.
P1010674-copy-3.jpg
The lodge is situated at treeline in a vast alpine basin-
P1010681-copy-3.jpg
(Note - the above pix are from our January week of his year)
A morning view of the main lodge, from our cabin-
IMGP7774-copy-3.jpg
The following pix are a sampling from February 18-25 which was the second of our two weeks up there- a trip organized yearly by us for a group of friends. For the first 3 days, continuous snow at temperatures just below freezing predominated- making for fabulous powder skiing in gladed and treed terrain, but not so great conditions for cameras or photography. By Tuesday afternoon though, the clouds began to lift, allowing some great skiing in the wide open alpine terrain of "The Dome"-
P1010761-copy-3.jpg
It all came together for our final three days- a skiers dream of fine weather and perfect snow-
P1010789-copy-3.jpg
The morning climb out of the main lodge basin up to the Saddle- the gateway for the next two day's excursions-
P1010779-copy-3.jpg
Skins off, and the first of a day's worth of 300 vertical metre runs in the Waitabit zone-
P1010816-copy-3.jpg
Happy skiers at a great lunch spot-
P1010820-copy-3.jpg
On the way home- Jo skinning out of the Waitabit valley, with another run back towards the lodge on the other side of the Saddle awaiting-
P1010831-copy-3.jpg
A tour to the Campbell Icefield and skiing the Diamond Dust run is always a highlight of a week at Campbell.. After another morning wake-up climb over the Saddle, here we are working our way through the moraines below the ice field-
IMGP7814-copy-3.jpg
Onwards to the Campbell Icefield. Mt. Freshfield on the border with Banff National Park is the skyline pyramid.
IMGP7819-copy-3.jpg
Topping out on Diamond Dust, above the icefield.
IMGP7820-copy-3.jpg
The upper pitch on the first of two laps on the Diamond Dust run.
IMGP7833-copy-3.jpg
The sauna and hut keepers cabin, at the end of a perfect day. Diamond Dust and the icefield are on the far side of the background ridge.
P1010839-copy-3.jpg
The week goes so fast! John said that a tour to the Bluewater Glacier would be the icing on the cake of a fine trip, so off we went-
IMGP7846-copy copy.jpg
It's a lot further than it looks from the previous photo! A look back from the halfway point on the glacier, to the lodge (spot it? Hint- mid pic, 3/4 across from left) and Mt. Alan Campbell in the distance.
IMGP7847-copy-3.jpg
Getting closer to the top-
IMGP7853-copy-3.jpg
It's low angle skiing on the Bluewater Glacier, but the fast ankle deep snow gave a long, fun run back down after lunch at the top-
IMGP7862-copy-3.jpg
Times up! Saying good bye the next morning while waiting for the heli flight out. That's the Bluewater Glacier below the cliffs in the background, with our ski tracks of the previous day just barely visible.
P1010846-copy-3.jpg
More pix here-
https://steveriggs.smugmug.com/Campbell-Icefield-2017

Last edited:
What a cool job! Absolutely gorgeous up there!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mmmm... delicious. Sitting here on break at work reading trip reports. This one was especially nice.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Sweet! Love those heli hut trips. Looks like sunny powder conditions. Makes for epic skiing!!! Some great pics. Snow looks perfect.
Have done 1 trip out of Golden BC (GAH) and a couple out of Nakusp BC (Vallhalla Hut). I think GAH is just a bit west of you guys owned by the Dakin sisters. Some awesome terrain in that part of BC!!! Glad you got all that sunshine and powder.

Wow! That looks amazing! I have wanted to do a trip like this for years. Looks like you had good snow and stable conditions. Epic report! Thanks for sharing!

Stunning country. Thanks for sharing.