Cache Creek, Yellowstone National Park - September 14, 2026

After I read this, I had to go to our local REI and get a few Chocolonely bars. I had some points so I got them for free. I also got some Jelly Bellies. While sitting by the river getting a sugar buzz, I thought maybe a good idea would be to mix a bar or two with some locoweed for your next pack trip. The uses would be endless - feed to crazed bison (would it settle them down?), feed to irritated rangers in Hayden Valley, feed to @TractorDoc - it could be a lot of fun (until everyone kicked the bucket, anyway, since locoweed's pretty toxic, but nevermind that, fun usually does have some consequences).

Native Americans used to chew on locoweed. Maybe the locoweed would slow @TractorDoc down a bit so that I can keep up. :thumbsup:

Rangers don't go to Hayden Valley anymore, but Scatman does. :) I'm grandfathered in you know. :scatman:

I'm not entirely convinced that it was not you that put that bison up to those shenanigans at 3C4. :thinking:
 
The music seemed appropriate for the characters involved. :)

I will not say the rain was the most enjoyable portion of the trip, but it did add a little variety/drama/atmosphere to the adventure. I also felt the value in actually using my rain gear after carrying it in the pack (and not needing it) for several years.


You probably would have been featured on the cover of National Geographic or something similar is my suspicion. Although I think we were downwind of him; once he moved close enough to catch a sniff of you, I bet he would have started to act like our bison friend in camp 3C4.

That will depend on the lottery of course (which I will no doubt spend my $10 on and be excluded from yet again). So many possibilities! I have yet to make it to Union Falls. . . there is my wild idea of crossing the Pitchstone Plateau and following a drainage down to the Bechler. . . we have some unfinished business up at Rainbow Springs. . . the Gallatins are always nice in September. . . I could even see us taking a leisurely stroll down the Thorofare once again. . . all with reasonable mileage days of course. Our day hike might take us back into Hayden Valley. . . I know that will be a diffiuclt one to convince you to join in on though.

Did you tell him about the need to consume a Circus Peanut to prove his worth first?

Glad you were able to get your bear fix in. I do think I put out some sort of bear deterrent pheromone. . . you need to choose better hiking companions if you want to see bears.


My suspicion of heights may have had something to do with it too Bob. We reached our high point and I was rather content with the view. . . I told Hugh he could walk the ridge line and I'd be happy to wait for him if he wanted to go farther. There were some mild/moderate drop offs (not as bad as Sky Rim/Bighorn Peak), but the ground was very loose/like walking on ball bearings so I was practicing my technique of "eight points of contact" and as you can imagine I do not move very fast that way. :)

We had finished off the bag that Kevin gave us, but we never even opened the bag I had brought with me. Luckily, I went with the smaller package this time instead of hauling a full pound of them from trailhead to trailhead.

I was. . . but then I wondered when he might be coming back. :)


Wait, what? It seems @Rockskipper is suggesting you feed me tainted chocolate that may have lethal consequences. Little does she know that over the years I've been taking microdoses of Locoweed and have built up an immunity to it (or was that snake venom? :thinking: ), so the joke will be on her when I fail to succumb to her suggested treachery.

Nope, the elk would have just passed by.

Sounds like we have a lot of people who want to join us on your marry adventure next year.

Pretty sure that @Rockskipper sent that bison to harass us. It's the quickest I have moved, from the bison skull stump to the bear box, in years. :D
 
Back
Top