Built a Custom Map Board for protecting my maps while hiking

Mike Jones

With my new map that came in the other day I thought it was time for a new map board to use while navigating the wilderness. Here are some pictures of the finished product:

20160409_114735.jpg

20160409_111054-e1460227246547.jpg

20160409_114543.jpg

Let me know what you all think, it only took me like an hour or two to plan out and build last night. Does anyone else use map boards?

If your interested in how I built it, I have a really long post here.

Let me know what you all think, it only took me like an hour or two to plan out and build last night. Does anyone else use map boards?
Interesting. Not me. I pretty much leave my paper map in my pack top pocket and get it out to open it and get the long or overview view. Gaia GPS on my iPhone 6plus big screen pretty much rules my backcountry travel life.

The map you show is waterproof and pretty much tear proof. No need to make a bulky thing to protect them. I have used the same map and many more like it for years and years with no problem in any weathers or terrain. I just fold it up so I can see my current position and stow it in my cargo pocket of my Rail Riders pants. No extra weight, no futzing around to unfold it when needed, no issues to fix.

We use a moving map GPS too but imo it does not replace a "paper map" but it is a great tool.

Heh. The thought of carrying and dealing with a map board is cringe-worthy in my opinion. Gaia GPS for the win!

It is more to carry but, I find the hard flat surface great for plotting points and azimuths quickly.

I guess its more useful when you are navigating terrain with no set trail or path.

I print mine on 8x11 and put them in plastic document protectors (the kind you put in binders). Simple and works. Fold em up and put them in your pocket.

Interesting idea but I'm guessing that if that maps came in those holders, backpackers would figure out a way to remove the frame to make their maps lighter and smaller.

+1 on Gaia although I'm slowly switching back to PDF maps now that it works in airplane mode like Gaia and most of the Nat Geo trails illustrated maps are available for download.

Gallon-size ziplocks are my go-tos. Cut the blank margins off an 8.5x11 or 11x17 (folded in half) and they fit perfectly.

I will never rely solely on electronics for navigation. Batteries batteries batteries.