Album Bugs

Some sort of beetle(?) wrapped up in a spider's silk, in the San Rafael Reef near Temple Wash:

IMG_4856.JPG

I hadn't noticed this thread before. So I thought I'd post a few pictures of a bug I didn't even know existed until a few years ago which are Tiger Beetles. They're quite variable in colors and markings and some species are really beautiful. Typically they like salt flats and sandy or rocky areas. But some species of these bugs are found in jungles and forests. All of these beetles can run pretty fast and all can fly which makes getting close enough to get a picture a challenge. Their size varies a little but mostly they're about 1/2 inch long.

Splendid Tiger Beetle
P3191204_DxO.jpg
Green Clay Bank Tiger Beetle
P3191278_DxO.jpg

Big Sand Tiger Beetle
P6035040.jpg

Six Spotted Tiger Beetle. This is a forest species. I had to chase it out onto a path to get a picture.
P6035076.jpg

Punctured Tiger Beetle
P6176045.jpg

Salt Creek Tiger Beetle. This is a federally protected species. There's just one little colony of these in the world.
P6297174.jpg
Festive Tiger Beetle
P9122279.jpg

Salt Flat Tiger Beetle
P9176484.jpg

All of the previous pictures were taken in Nebraska where I live. The next one was taken on the trail to Delicate Arch at Arches National Park. There are some salt flats along the trail not to far from the parking lot. I thought it looked like Tiger Beetle habitat and sure enough they were there. This is an Oblique-lined Tiger Beetle.
P4232767.jpg

Last edited:
Bad. Scott. Scott Bad. Don't ever do that again....

(pretty bad when your pop dimes you out on your favorite backcountry forum...)

:facepalm: