Broads Fork Twin Peaks - July 14, 2020

scatman

In honor of my 56th birthday yesterday, I celebrated by hiking to the top of Broads Fork Twin Peaks with my daughter, and a former coworker and friend Jon, who recently retired. This was my daughter's third attempt to reach the top after the first two fell just short, while Jon has summited a couple of times before taking the standard route, he had never done the Robinson's Variation and was interested in seeing what it was like. Hopefully for my daughter's sake the third time will be the charm.

The weather was perfect for the hike, with cool temps in the morning and some intermittent cloud cover during the day to help keep the sun off of us at least part of the time.

01.jpg
Entering the Twin Peaks Wilderness

02.jpg
Broads Fork

03.jpg
The trail runs through a beautiful stand of Aspen

04.jpg
First view (early morning) of the Broads Fork Basin

05.jpg
A good look at the route ahead - climb the couloir in the middle of the frame, scramble south across the ridge, then summit the
eastern Twin Peak, located in the upper left of the shot.

05b.jpg
Hillside full of False Sunflowers

06.jpg
Stonecrop was common in the steep gully

07.jpg
Penstemons too

08.jpg
Making our way up the gully

09.jpg
Slab country

10.jpg
Heading for the saddle directly ahead

11.jpg
More Penstemons

12.jpg
Jon, accessing his situation. The snow at the head of the drainage caused us to have to
use the slabs more than we wanted to.

13.jpg
Jon, holding onto a slab near the top of the couloir

14.jpg
A look across Big Cottonwood Canyon towards Mount Raymond an Gobblers Knob

15.jpg
Once at the saddle, one gets a good view of the Twin Peaks

16.jpg
Heading south across the ridge towards the eastern summit

17.jpg
Making our way along the ridge

18.jpg
Entering the crack of doom. :)

19.jpg
Beginning our final push to the summit of the eastern peak

20.jpg
Some phlox up high

21.jpg
A look down into Deaf Smith Canyon

22.jpg
Parry's Primrose

23.jpg
Some stair stepping left to get to the top

24.jpg
A look over at the western summit, from just below the eastern summit

25.jpg
Lone Peak across Little Cottonwood Canyon

27.jpg
Heading over to the western summit

28.jpg
The Pfeifferhorn with Mount Timpanogos in the distance

29.jpg
On the western summit

29b.jpg
Back on the eastern summit, with Jon practicing good social distancing. It look like the third
time was the charm for my daughter.

30.jpg
A look east along the Cottonwood Ridge with Sunrise and Dromedary Peaks

31.jpg
A closer look at Sunrise

31b.jpg
The view, across the canyon, from the gully east of Twin Peaks that we were making our way down

32.jpg
I didn't expect there to be snow in the gully. This caused us to be a little more careful
as we descended it.

40.jpg
This was hilarious. The balloons were next to the gully and the clearish one behind the branches actually said "Happy Birthday" on it.
What are the chances that I'd run into this, in the sticks, on my birthday.

33.jpg
Out of the gully, and making our way towards the saddle between Twin Peaks and Sunrise

34.jpg
A look back up at the eastern summit

35.jpg
A look down into Broads Fork Basin

36.jpg
Clematis holding on

37.jpg
Broads Fork

38.jpg
Broads Fork, winding through the basin

39.jpg
Blooming Horsemint was everywhere along the trail. There was an overwhelming smell of mint in the air. It was likes being wrapped
in spearmint chewing gum.

41.jpg
Broads Fork Trail, on our way out, near the trailhead

Attachments

• 26.jpg
    26.jpg
    109.1 KB · Views: 8
Very cool, two peaks, balloons and minty fresh, and Happy Birthday!

Wow! Happy Birthday @scatman and congrats to your daughter.
Love the blue penstemon, I'm going to order some seeds, we are in the right zone for it to grow here :)

What a great way to celebrate the day! Happy Birthday!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That looks like fun and a great way to celebrate your birthday. Broads Fork is very underrated IMO.

Happy 56th @scatman !

I hope I can celebrate my birthdays in a similar fashion someday. Congratulations on making it to the top. . . an accomplishment that can confirm you've still "got it!"

No better way to celebrate a birthday than on a mountain in a kilt. Hope it was a good one.

That looks like fun and a great way to celebrate your birthday. Broads Fork is very underrated IMO.

I agree. Actually, the Wasatch Mountain Club rates it as the hardest summit according to one of their rating systems. They rate it a 14.9 in difficulty. The only higher ratings are for ridge hikes like the Beatout, Wildcat Ridge, etc..

Attachments

• WMC_kip-yost-hike-ratings.pdf
    231.5 KB · Views: 9
Happy 56th @scatman !

I hope I can celebrate my birthdays in a similar fashion someday. Congratulations on making it to the top. . . an accomplishment that can confirm you've still "got it!"

I'm sure you will be able to. The question really is, how many more years will I still "have it!" I'm guessing I'm on the downhill side of that question. :(

No better way to celebrate a birthday than on a mountain in a kilt. Hope it was a good one.

The only better way for me to spend the 14th would be in Yellowstone, which I have done a few times. I did end up with a few nice scratches on my legs, but other than that, it was a good day for the kilt.

Love it!!! And I'm jealous because I'm in Southern Utah where it is like hell with temps way above hundred degrees, bad air, dust and no way to go on a hike until September.

And what a cool coincidence to find these happy Birthday balloons on your birthday hike

Love it!!! And I'm jealous because I'm in Southern Utah where it is like hell with temps way above hundred degrees, bad air, dust and no way to go on a hike until September.

And what a cool coincidence to find these happy Birthday balloons on your birthday hike

Sorry about the hot temps down south. Are you still headed up to Yellowstone in the near future? You ought to get some relief if so.

Wow, what a hike - look like a lot of fun! Those solid slabs so high in the Wasatch Range are very interesting. Major Happy Birthday too- looks like Karma sent the balloons for you!

I love the balloons. And the clematis.
Happy birthday.

I'm sure you will be able to. The question really is, how many more years will I still "have it!" I'm guessing I'm on the downhill side of that question. :(

I know a couple who was still canyoneering and summiting peaks like Hayden Peak and what not well through their 60's. Just keep active and you never know....

Nice way to celebrate!

Happy Birthday!! Looks like a perfect hike to celebrate with all those flowers!

Glad you got to see the balloons I sent you ;)