Bridger Range Flathead Pass Willys trip

John Goering

The day before we did the Roots trip (June 30), we left our place (in the rain), drove about 20 miles north to Pass Creek, over Flathead Pass, down Flathead Creek Road to MT 86. We took a diversion off 86 onto FS 74 (Fairy Lake Road) and ate lunch on Fairy Creek. The final leg was down Bridger Canyon, through Bozeman, and then home back north along the west side of the Bridger's. A definite quickie trip circumnavigating most of the Range.

Part way up Pass Creek. The rain had broke. This shot to west with the Tobacco Roots in the distance with Gallatin Valley in the middle.
15369312679_4fcabdb6e9_b.jpg

At the pass.
14562420013_162b34bd5a_b.jpg

The top of the pass was a sea of Delphinium bicolor, a sheep herder's worst nightmare.
14355988007_dfaf2a808e_b.jpg

Chuck in a mud puddle of Fairy Lake Road.
14355711748_99edd5a5f7_b.jpg

Lunch at Fairy Creek.
15370284070_a063242a06_b.jpg

It would have been nice getting some more pictures down Bridger Canyon, but the clouds were so low they would have been most of the frame.

Featured image for home page:
slide.jpg

Looks like a fun mud puddle. Beautiful country.

Why is that flower a nightmare for sheepherders? Can I go plant them all over the Uintas??? :D

Too late, it's already everywhere in the Uintas. I think sheep actually like it? Really, I know nothing about sheep, or about larkspur, but I know I see an awful lot of both at the same time in a lot of the Uintas. Soapstone would be one area I can think of with lots of both.

- DAA

Great TR on a great mtn. range....as usual!

Fun! I drive a '73 Landcruiser
Most of my early wheeling buddies all had FJ40's. I recall only one that remained stock with all the rest getting small block Chevy's of various displacements. Absolutely great machines. A few shots of my best friend's here:
http://backcountrypost.com/forum/threads/north-meadow-creek-nostalgia.3716/

That one was 307 powered.

Chuck's green Willys is essentially stock, mine (burgundy one) not so much. I still prefer the 3B to our Rubicon JK on the more difficult trails. Although a JK can really spoil you both on and off road.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
TheMountainRabbit NW Wind River Range (Bridger Wilderness) - August 2020 Backpacking 3
John Goering Sunday's Bridger Range hike Hiking & Camping 4
John Goering Bridger Range-Gallatin Range sortie Everything Else 7
John Goering Bridger Range day hike Hiking & Camping 3
TheMountainRabbit Northern Wind River Traverse (Bridger/Fitzpatrick Wilderness) - September 2021 Backpacking 16
Rockskipper Bridger Foothills Fire General Discussion 12
TeamJenkins17 Hawks Rest/Bridger Lake area Trip Planning 6
marquiri Help with Bridger-Teton National Forest Trip Planning 2
Outdoor_Fool Brooks Range trek - Anaktuvuk Pass to the Haul Road - Cancelled Flight - last minute change-up Backpacking 21
scatman The Wyoming Range (Scatman version) - June 26, 2023 Backpacking 21
Bob Wyoming Range Backpacking 14
Dreamer Wyoming Range conditions 2023 Trip Planning 62
W Greetings from the West Side of the Winds (Wind River range) Noobs: Introduce yourself! 5
marquiri Wind River Range - Angel Pass Trip Planning 24
Writhdar Day hikes in the White Clouds and Lost River Range Hiking & Camping 1
Mikjik86 Backpacking The Wind River Range - Wyoming, September 2022 Trip Reports 3
R Wind River Range: Green River Lakes/Clarks Trail/Porcupine Creek Trail Trip Planning 3
wsp_scott Wind River Range Sept 2021 (part 2) Backpacking 4
wsp_scott Wind River Range Sept 2021 (part 1) Backpacking 16
B Wind river range mid sept. Trip Planning 8
andyjaggy Wind River Range Roberts Mountain Trip Planning 4
marquiri Wind River Range - September 2022 Trip Planning 31
J Pahranagat, Desert NWR, and Arrow Canyon Range to start Nov. 2021 Desert time Hiking & Camping 6
seekinglost 1000 Mile Nevada Thru Hike on the Basin and Range Trail Trip Reports 14
regehr Fox Creek, Teton Range Hiking & Camping 19
RyanP Snowy Range (WY) easy backpacking recommendations? Trip Planning 4
westy Wind River Range Backpacking 4
wsp_scott Wind River Range (beginning of Sept 2021) Meet Up (Members Only) 11
travel2walk trip report: Wind River Range – Ross Lakes, Bear Basin, Grasshopper Glacier, & Dinwoody Creek loop, Aug-Sep 2020 Trip Reports 41
marquiri Wind River Range - Green River Lakes Trailhead Trip Planning 9
Outdoor_Fool Snowshoeing to Castner Glacier Ice Cave, Alaska Range Winter Sports 5
NorthwestWanderer The Bailey Range Traverse | An 8 Day Olympic National Park Epic Backpacking 15
Gunnahafta Green River <> Big Sandy WIND RIVER RANGE Trip Planning 1
NorthwestWanderer Backpacking the Lost River Range in Idaho : Bear Creek Lake & Upper Basin Backpacking 7
TheMountainRabbit Invite Never Summer Range, June 27th-29th Meet Up (Members Only) 0
Matt Van Natta HELP: Wind River Range, Baker Lake to Green River Lakes Trip Planning 7
regehr bears in Jarbidge Range? Trip Planning 2
Ugly Front Range Friday Fun Winter Sports 5
J Grenadier Range, San Juan Mtns. Weminuche Wilderness, CO June 27-30, 2007 Retro Backpacking 9
NorthwestWanderer Chelan-Sawtooth Range : Sunrise to Cooney Lake Loop Backpacking 3
NorthwestWanderer Haunted by Washington's Tiffany Range Hiking & Camping 11
TrektheWorld Wind River Range 5 Day Loop Backpacking 16
WasatchWill Wyoming Grizzly Range Tracker and DMA General Discussion 11
H Wind River Range route planning Trip Planning 6
10KFly Wind River Range in Late September Trip Planning 6
Stephanie B Suggestions for Maze Hikes and Range Canyon Intel? Trip Planning 2
westy McCullough Range Hiking & Camping 7
b.stark Wind River Range 2009 "From The Vault" Backpacking 9
blueeyes Wind River Range August 2018 Backpacking 11
Lowro East Temple Peak - Wind River Range Backpacking 13