Bridger Range day hike

John Goering

Saturday, my wife and I headed up the small drainage north of the house to its headwater and then looped back down the divide on the two drainages to the south. Very windy, cloudy day but 50 something degrees. The first half to 3/4 mile was on logging road but all the remainder was off-trail.

My wife in Watts Creek. The mountain pine beetles made this reach a bit interesting. In a normal year, all the deadfall would still be buried under at least 2 to 3' of snow.
16822258651_9cf7556e4b_b.jpg

Looking out at the Gallatin Valley from about half way up Watts Creek. Forest Service Middle Cottonwood Creek access road lower left, Tobacco Root Mountains in the distance.
16203343503_7f2f47810f_b.jpg

View to south from same point. Spanish Peaks, north end of the Madison Range.
16637151039_05ac9fbffb_b.jpg

Near the top of Watts Creek. There should be 4' of snow here.
16797371096_7dbcc1fdb1_b.jpg

A couple views from the same place as above.
16635848620_6efce51e67_b.jpg

16200868844_32692375e3_b.jpg

The thread "kid" photo.
16797330336_a21202e4af_b.jpg

We ended up turning around on the rocky knob above the cliffs-barely getting into any snow. View to east into the upper end of Middle Cottonwood Creek. Rocking bump in ridge line is Bridger Peak.
16822116941_1b7bc6b8ea_b.jpg

Saddle Peak from same place-Bridger Bowl Ski Area just to left of Saddle on the other side of the ridge.
16637067559_762b16ebb6_b.jpg

View out to valley on our exit. Our place in foreground.
16823151585_c91a61ecc6_b.jpg

Looking back at Middle Cottonwood Creek.
16822026692_e350c09e50_b.jpg

Looking down at the FS trailhead parking lot. Only 4 vehicles. Normally, this would all be white.
16822015652_3ba8aaf792_b.jpg

We got back to the house at about 5:30. A little more sunshine and it would have been a perfect day.

Featured image for home page:
slide.jpg

I enjoyed this report John. One of the things that stuck out to me as different out west, besides the huge above treeline peaks, was how flat the land is between mountain ranges is out there. Like in your picture below. I like the contrast between your flat plains and big mountains. Around here it's more of an undramatic constant rolling of hills and if a hill is big enough we call it a mountain.

I take it the blue light in town hasn't been flashing so much this year?

I take it the blue light in town hasn't been flashing so much this year?

Yeah, think they were just trying to be conservationists and cut their electricity consumption:roflmao:

I haven't seen any real figures yet, but think Bridger Bowl did reasonably well financially this year, mainly due to really good conditions over Christmas break and even less snow to the west. But it was certainly spring conditions from Feb through the present. Don't think the ski shops shared the wealth however.

I think I may actually be mowing the lawn before the end of March and I know I have never had to mow it in April ever before. By August, things may not be looking too good around here-if you can actually see anything through the smoke.

Reactions: Ben
Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
John Goering Sunday's Bridger Range hike Hiking & Camping 4
TheMountainRabbit NW Wind River Range (Bridger Wilderness) - August 2020 Backpacking 3
John Goering Bridger Range-Gallatin Range sortie Everything Else 7
John Goering Bridger Range Flathead Pass Willys trip Off Road 9
TheMountainRabbit Northern Wind River Traverse (Bridger/Fitzpatrick Wilderness) - September 2021 Backpacking 16
Rockskipper Bridger Foothills Fire General Discussion 12
TeamJenkins17 Hawks Rest/Bridger Lake area Trip Planning 6
marquiri Help with Bridger-Teton National Forest Trip Planning 2
regehr looking for a mountain range with few mosquitoes in early/mid August Trip Planning 12
Outdoor_Fool Brooks Range trek - Anaktuvuk Pass to the Haul Road - Cancelled Flight - last minute change-up Backpacking 21
scatman The Wyoming Range (Scatman version) - June 26, 2023 Backpacking 21
Bob Wyoming Range Backpacking 14
Dreamer Wyoming Range conditions 2023 Trip Planning 62
W Greetings from the West Side of the Winds (Wind River range) Noobs: Introduce yourself! 5
marquiri Wind River Range - Angel Pass Trip Planning 24
Writhdar Day hikes in the White Clouds and Lost River Range Hiking & Camping 1
Mikjik86 Backpacking The Wind River Range - Wyoming, September 2022 Trip Reports 3
R Wind River Range: Green River Lakes/Clarks Trail/Porcupine Creek Trail Trip Planning 3
wsp_scott Wind River Range Sept 2021 (part 2) Backpacking 4
wsp_scott Wind River Range Sept 2021 (part 1) Backpacking 16
B Wind river range mid sept. Trip Planning 8
andyjaggy Wind River Range Roberts Mountain Trip Planning 4
marquiri Wind River Range - September 2022 Trip Planning 31
J Pahranagat, Desert NWR, and Arrow Canyon Range to start Nov. 2021 Desert time Hiking & Camping 6
seekinglost 1000 Mile Nevada Thru Hike on the Basin and Range Trail Trip Reports 14
regehr Fox Creek, Teton Range Hiking & Camping 19
RyanP Snowy Range (WY) easy backpacking recommendations? Trip Planning 4
westy Wind River Range Backpacking 4
wsp_scott Wind River Range (beginning of Sept 2021) Meet Up (Members Only) 11
travel2walk trip report: Wind River Range – Ross Lakes, Bear Basin, Grasshopper Glacier, & Dinwoody Creek loop, Aug-Sep 2020 Trip Reports 41
marquiri Wind River Range - Green River Lakes Trailhead Trip Planning 9
Outdoor_Fool Snowshoeing to Castner Glacier Ice Cave, Alaska Range Winter Sports 5
NorthwestWanderer The Bailey Range Traverse | An 8 Day Olympic National Park Epic Backpacking 15
Gunnahafta Green River <> Big Sandy WIND RIVER RANGE Trip Planning 1
NorthwestWanderer Backpacking the Lost River Range in Idaho : Bear Creek Lake & Upper Basin Backpacking 7
TheMountainRabbit Invite Never Summer Range, June 27th-29th Meet Up (Members Only) 0
Matt Van Natta HELP: Wind River Range, Baker Lake to Green River Lakes Trip Planning 7
regehr bears in Jarbidge Range? Trip Planning 2
Ugly Front Range Friday Fun Winter Sports 5
J Grenadier Range, San Juan Mtns. Weminuche Wilderness, CO June 27-30, 2007 Retro Backpacking 9
NorthwestWanderer Chelan-Sawtooth Range : Sunrise to Cooney Lake Loop Backpacking 3
NorthwestWanderer Haunted by Washington's Tiffany Range Hiking & Camping 11
TrektheWorld Wind River Range 5 Day Loop Backpacking 16
WasatchWill Wyoming Grizzly Range Tracker and DMA General Discussion 11
H Wind River Range route planning Trip Planning 6
10KFly Wind River Range in Late September Trip Planning 6
Stephanie B Suggestions for Maze Hikes and Range Canyon Intel? Trip Planning 2
westy McCullough Range Hiking & Camping 7
b.stark Wind River Range 2009 "From The Vault" Backpacking 9
blueeyes Wind River Range August 2018 Backpacking 11