Brazil: Amazonian Forest

Tim Valentine

I went to Brazil to visit the wilderness and the wildlife. The first stop was in the Amazonian forest biome. Cristolino State Park in the state of Mato Grasso, is a large area of unspoiled Brazil. Access is limited, not many trails. Travel is mostly by speed boats up the many waterways. The Cristolino Reserve is privately held land that borders the state park and has accommodations, where we stayed. There are no roads to the reserve, so we had to take a boat ride to reach the lodge. From the lodge, there are a series of trails that give access to the bottom level of the forest. We hiked almost all of the trails in the reserve. They are quite narrow with limited visibility. The best trails were the two that led deep into the forest and ended at canopy towers 50-60 meters in the sky. Climbing these towers provided great views to the world of the primary and secondary canopies. The other main method of viewing the area was from the boats. Going up and down the river turned up different wildlife encounters with each session. Here are some pictures I took during this portion of the trip.

Cristolino is famous for its wildlife, especially birds. There was a great variety of birds to be seen, overhead, on the ground, in the water and deep in the forest.
Blue Headed Parrot
DSC01069.jpg

Red Throated Caracara
DSC01380.jpg

White Winged Swallow
DSC01621.jpg

Green Ibis
DSC01829.jpg

Tapirs can be spotted at the rivers edge in the shady spots.
DSC02338.jpg

A closer look reveals some personality and some troublesome bugs.
DSC01733.jpg

Brazil has a great variety of butterflies also. They are hard to photograph but this Turquoise Emperor held still, just long enough.
DSC02187.jpg

The bird sitings kept surprising me. This is the first bird I have seen with decorative, in this case , striped, legs.
Sungrebe
DSC02356.jpg

Ringed Woodpecker
DSC02782.jpg

These bugs photobombed this picture of a Sunbittern.
DSC03438.jpg

On the trails, jaguars and peccaries are the main hazards. We were in a canopy bird blind when over 75 peccaries traveled
within feet of us deep in the forest. They leave a strong odor that lingers, coming and going.DSC03607.jpg

The best viewing access is from high atop the canopy towers. They are usually placed near some fruiting forest trees, attracting a big variety of creatures.

Scarlet Macaws at eye level
DSC02981.jpg

MacawsDSC02862.jpg

Spangled CotingaDSC02960.jpg

Troops of monkeys can be heard long before they are seen, as they make their way thru the tangles.
DSC02734.jpg

A colorful variety of noisy parrots are found in the highest parts of the canopy.
White Bellied ParrotDSC03973.jpg

These Red Necked Aracaris are related but separate from toucans
DSC02912.jpg

Back on the river we saw some more familiar sites.
River OtterDSC03117.jpg

We also found some small bats parked above the water.
DSC03101.jpg

On a river beach these butterflies were feasting on a salt lick
DSC01400.jpg
One late afternoon we hiked deep into the forest where a blind was set up near a set of bird baths. When these shy low forest birds came out, I thought for sure someone had drugged my water bottle.

Bare Eyed Ant Birds
DSC02667.jpg

White Crowned Manakin
DSC02416.jpg

Snow Capped Manakin
DSC02454.jpg

I will make a separate TR for our next stop in the Brazilian Cerrado (Savanna).

Bye bye ( tchau tchau in Porteguese) until later.DSC03341.jpg

No, that is not a self portrait. That was a Brown Bearded Saki Monkey waving to us.

If you are not tired of bird pictures there are a lot more on my flickr page from this portion of the trip.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/14821634@N05/albums/72157719799348451

TV

Last edited: