Boy Scouts kill bear at East Fork of the Bear

Dave

Broadcaster, formerly "ashergrey"
The Utah Division of Wildlife Resources confirmed to KSL today that a Scout leader fired three shots at a young cinnamon bear at the Bryant S. Hinckley Scout Reserve (aka East Fork of the Bear scout reservation) Wednesday night. A troop had left food unsecured on a picnic table. They found the animal on the table, eating the food. Apparently, the troop told DWR the bear advanced on boys, so the leader shot and killed it.

DWR is still investigating. They're not sure if this is the same bear that chomped on a tent at the camp last week. The state plans to turn the case over to county prosecutors for possible charges.

The state is obviously frustrated that this happened though, given they had put officers at the camp Monday to warn incoming troops about last week's bear sighting. DWR told the scouts to take extra care making sure their campsites were clean. They didn't, so the animal died.

Edit... posted a KSL.com link but the version of the story there has numerous inaccuracies. I'll update later.

Yeah, that does really suck. A bunch of yahoos with no business being in the backcountry (I'm talking about the Scout "leaders" here) doing more damage and wildlife pays the price. I hope charges are filed.

So sad.:( I'll keep my feelings on this matter to myself in the interest of keeping it clean, but this illustrates the point to a tee of why everyone should take the proper precautions in bear country even if you don't think you're likely to see any bears.

I'm so sick of dumb asses who don't think the rules apply to them! :mad:

DWR killed another bear this week at East Fork. They believe it was the bear that set off the initial scare at the scout camps last month.

Hope that "leader" gets charged for killing the bear and gets kicked out of Boy Scouts for possessing a firearm during a scouting activity(which is prohibited by Boy Scout regulations).

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using Tapatalk 2

I realize that black bears aren't exactly an endangered species, but seriously 2 animals had to be shot due to lack of leadership/ethics on the part of the BS leaders. That sucks.

that's what I found at the East Fork Bear River TH :D

i-8fd4qxm-L.jpg

when I hiked out today it was gone and the only ones I saw during the last two days was a boy scout group this morning.

They moved up fast. When I was up to Allsop the herd was only halfway up the drainage.