Boulder Mountain Suggestions

Colin Parker

Hi everyone, I just moved back to Utah after being stuck in South Carolina for six looong years. (Great to be back!) I want to introduce my son to some "real" fishing and was hoping to find some of those monster brookies on Boulder Mountain. I'm not asking for any secret spots, just a place where a guy can take his 9 year old and catch some decent sized fish and have a good time. If we have a good starting spot, we can take it from there. Thanks,
Colin

Haha! Thanks for bumping this. I'm no help, but I want to know too! I've been thinking about doing a short trip up there myself this year. Perhaps @Deadeye008 can at least zone us in on some general areas?

Lots of locals fish on the north slopes of Boulder, Donkey Reservoir, Coleman etc. You get to them from the roads in the Teasdale area, lots of little lakes up there.

Lots of locals fish on the north slopes of Boulder, Donkey Reservoir, Coleman etc. You get to them from the roads in the Teasdale area, lots of little lakes up there.

Thanks Bob! Every little bit of advice helps especially if it's "local advice"

Haha! Thanks for bumping this. I'm no help, but I want to know too! I've been thinking about doing a short trip up there myself this year. Perhaps @Deadeye008 can at least zone us in on some general areas?

Would you be interested in doing a little exploring trip with me Nick? Maybe early Fall?

Would you be interested in doing a little exploring trip with me Nick? Maybe early Fall?

I just might! Not sure how my fall schedule is looking because of a bit of international travel, but I'd love to hit it when the leaves are turning and get into some of those big brookies. Anyone know when the leaves are usually peak up there?

Spawning Brookies and turning leaves--pretty good combo. I'll be out of the country a little this Fall as well for a couple of weeks, but am thinking Columbus Day weekend might be open for me.

McGath lake is pretty awesome and there are quite a bit of fish there. One must be VERY wary of bears in that area though. When I was just there about a month ago my friend and I saw a baby bear run across the road on the way to the lake and my friend was followed by a huge black bear while he was fishing. We also heard on growling and knocking over bushes that same night. Be careful if you go and practice safe bear camping.

McGath lake is pretty awesome and there are quite a bit of fish there. One must be VERY wary of bears in that area though. When I was just there about a month ago my friend and I saw a baby bear run across the road on the way to the lake and my friend was followed by a huge black bear while he was fishing. We also heard on growling and knowing over bushes that same night. Be careful if you go and practice safe bear camping.
Thanks for the info. I've heard a couple of others mention McGath. I really appreciate the heads up on the bears as well. My son is only ten, so I'll make sure to keep him close by.

Anyone know when the leaves are usually peak up there?
It's a bit variable depending on rainfall in the summer and temperatures in the fall, but generally at the end of September and beginning of October you can get some good colour. Fish Lake is the place to go to really see colour, amazing show up there and lots of opportunities to post in the 'Reflections' thread.

The North slope has some great lakes. That is the primary area that I have fished. McGath has some big Brookies in it. If you are looking for a backpacking trip, Lost lake has some really nice Brookies and is the most remote lake on the mountain(It's only 2 miles from the nearest trailhead though...) Just about every lake up there is going to have some nice fish in it. I would also suggest checking out the DWR stocking records. You can get a good idea of the type of fish in each lake. Good Luck!

The North slope has some great lakes. That is the primary area that I have fished. McGath has some big Brookies in it. If you are looking for a backpacking trip, Lost lake has some really nice Brookies and is the most remote lake on the mountain(It's only 2 miles from the nearest trailhead though...) Just about every lake up there is going to have some nice fish in it. I would also suggest checking out the DWR stocking records. You can get a good idea of the type of fish in each lake. Good Luck!
Thanks Deadeye, I've seen some of your trip reports and was hoping you would chime in. I really appreciate the help.