Bob's Follies Training Part V - Mount Nebo - July 14, 2024

scatman

Well, I somehow made it to 60 years old, so to celebrate my 60th I summited Mount Nebo with my friend Jon.

Now we are down to 17 days until the Deer Creek/Hidden Creek big adventure that @Bob has dreamed up in the Washakie and Teton Wildernesses, so I figured a training hike up Nebo might just get me to Deer Creek Pass in a couple of weeks. Still not sure how I will make it from the Hidden Creek drainage over to the North Fork of the Yellowstone. :)

Mount Nebo is the highest peak in the Wasatch at just under 12,000 feet (11,928). While it isn't the hardest peak to summit in the Wasatch, it is still a challenging one and just what I need if I want to make it to Deer Creek Pass.

On the drive up Payson Canyon on the way to the Nebo Trailhead, I saw 11 deer, 1 grouse, and three turkeys, along with a few bovines. Also, the sunrise was spectacular! There is some smoke in the air here, though I'm not sure which forest fire is to blame, that is obviously contributing to the nice sunrises recently.

I arrived at the trailed at 6:25 in the morning and waited a few minutes for Jon to show up, and then we were on our way.

01.jpg
Mount Nebo in the early morning hours

02.jpg
Gorgeous sunrise. We passed a couple of guys on our way up that were coming down who got to witness this from the summit
of Nebo.

03.jpg
Already a few cars at the trailhead

04.jpg
Mount Nebo information at the trailhead

05.jpg
Tall larkspur

06.jpg
Sulphur buckwheat beginning to bloom

07.jpg
A ladybug enjoying the morning sunshine and some fernleaf licorice-root

08.jpg
Lupine

08b.jpg
looking up at the slopes of North Peak. Our trail to Nebo will duck down on the west side of the ridge

09.jpg
Whipple's penstemon

11.jpg
Diurnal moth - we saw lots of these

12.jpg
Columbine

13.jpg
Ants enjoying some aphids

14.jpg
Sulphur Indian Paintbrush

15.jpg
Aster? Fleabane?

16.jpg
Making our way up to the top of the ridge

17.jpg
Bluebells

18.jpg
Buttercup

19.jpg
20.jpg
Past its prime Parry's Primrose

21.jpg
Still some snow here and there

22.jpg
Showy goldeneye

23.jpg
Wasatch beardtongue

24.jpg
Jon making his way up the hill

25.jpg
Jacob's ladder

26.jpg
Some yarrow and cinquefoil

27.jpg
View to the north with Bald Mountain

28.jpg
Almost to the top of the ridge

29.jpg
Mountain dandelions

30.jpg
Jon, pointing out our destination

31.jpg
Looking down Pole Canyon and out into Juab Valley and Mona Reservoir

32.jpg
A good look at Mount Nebo along with the false summit

33.jpg
Stonecrop

34.jpg
Paintbrush

35.jpg
Paintbrush

36.jpg
Groundsel

37.jpg
Not sure it's getting any closer. :) We are making our way around the west side of
North Peak.

38.jpg
Collomia

39.jpg
Lewis Flax

40.jpg
Common yarrow

41.jpg
More groundsel

42.jpg
False summit and Mount Nebo. It is a steep climb up the false summit.

43.jpg
The trail leading to Wolf Pass

44.jpg
A couple of people on the false summit

45.jpg
Stonecrop, buckwheat and paintbrush

46.jpg
Approaching Wolf Pass

47.jpg
A look up the false summit from Wolf Pass. My knees were beginning to whimper. :D

48.jpg
A look down into Hellhole Basin and the Nebo Basin from the pass

49.jpg
A look back up at North Peak

50.jpg
On my way up the false summit. I might be cussing at this point. :)

50b.jpg
51.jpg
Some rock columbine

52.jpg
Some hikers on the North Peak.

53.jpg
Phlox

54.jpg
Groundsel

55.jpg
Mount Nebo, peeking around the corner of the false summit

56.jpg
Hiker about to summit Nebo

57.jpg
On the false summit, looking over at Mount Nebo

58.jpg
59.jpg
60.jpg
61.jpg
62.jpg
63.jpg
On the way over to Nebo from the false summit

64.jpg
Scrambling time

65.jpg
After the scramble you're still not quite to the summit. Notice the butterflies.

66.jpg
Just a short jaunt to the summit from here

67.jpg
Looking south, over at Middle Nebo and South Nebo from the summit of Mount Nebo

68.jpg
A raven showing off with summit of South Nebo beyond

Mountain goats were cooling off on the snowfields below the summit
69.jpg
70.jpg
72.jpg
73.jpg
Not the best, but zoomed on on them

71.jpg
And if you look closely, there are some bighorn sheep below too.

74.jpg
Summit shot

75.jpg
These California Tortoiseshells were all over the summit of Mount Nebo. I have never seen so many butterflies in one place before.
Maybe they are migrating?

76.jpg
Beginning the hike back down. My knees weren't too excited about this either. :)

77.jpg
Can just make out the southern end of Utah Lake in the distance

78.jpg
Heading back to the false summit

79.jpg
Western wallflower

80.jpg
The trail heads along the top of the red rock below

81.jpg
82.jpg
The workhorse of this hike - Canon Rebel SL2, Canon PowerShot S200, and the Canon PowerShot SX160 IS

83.jpg
Coming down off the ridge

84.jpg
Northwestern Fritillary on the snow

85.jpg
Common stickseed

86.jpg
Parry's primrose in the sunlight

87.jpg
A look down Nebo Basin

88.jpg
Just follow the ridgeline back to the trailhead now

89.jpg
The North Peak in the afternoon

90.jpg
The trailhead is within sight

91.jpg
Back at the Sube!

This is the "What's Cooking" for @Rockskipper. I told Sheila that if I made it home before 6:00 pm, then we could go out for dinner to someplace close.

92.jpg
93.jpg
:thinking:

95.jpg
Sheila had the pineapple pork sandwich with potato salad

94.jpg
While I had a 1/2 rack of ribs with a mac-n-cheese side and a roll (I thought I was supposed to get a hushpuppy) :( I don't think it
was enough to feed a hungry Scatman. :hungry:

We'll be celebrating the 60th and the Mount Nebo summit with nachos from the Porcupine tonight! Can't wait!

The End.

Last edited:
Well, I somehow made it to 60 years old, so to celebrate my 60th I summited Mount Nebo with my friend Jon.

Now we are down to 17 days until the Deer Creek/Hidden Creek big adventure that @Bob has dreamed up in the Washakie and Teton Wildernesses, so I figured a training hike up Nebo might just get me to Deer Creek Pass in a couple of weeks. Still not sure how I will make it from the Hidden Creek drainage over to the North Fork of the Yellowstone. :)

Mount Nebo is the highest peak in the Wasatch at just under 12,000 feet (11,928). While it isn't the hardest peak to summit in the Wasatch, it is still a challenging one and just what I need if I want to make it to Deer Creek Pass.

On the drive up Payson Canyon on the way to the Nebo Trailhead, I saw 11 deer, 1 grouse, and three turkeys, along with a few bovines. Also, the sunrise was spectacular! There is some smoke in the air here, though I'm not sure which forest fire is to blame, that is obviously contributing to the nice sunrises recently.

I arrived at the trailed at 6:25 in the morning and waited a few minutes for Jon to show up, and then we were on our way.

View attachment 132757
Mount Nebo in the early morning hours

View attachment 132758
Gorgeous sunrise. We passed a couple of guys on our way up that were coming down who got to witness this from the summit
of Nebo.

View attachment 132759
Already a few cars at the trailhead

View attachment 132760
Mount Nebo information at the trailhead

View attachment 132761
Tall larkspur

View attachment 132762
Sulphur buckwheat beginning to bloom

View attachment 132763
A ladybug enjoying the morning sunshine and some fernleaf licorice-root

View attachment 132764
Lupine

View attachment 132765
looking up at the slopes of North Peak. Our trail to Nebo will duck down on the west side of the ridge

View attachment 132766
Whipple's penstemon

View attachment 132767
Diurnal moth - we saw lots of these

View attachment 132768
Columbine

View attachment 132769
Ants enjoying some aphids

View attachment 132770
Sulphur Indian Paintbrush

View attachment 132771
Aster? Fleabane?

View attachment 132772
Making our way up to the top of the ridge

View attachment 132773
Bluebells

View attachment 132774
Buttercup

View attachment 132775
View attachment 132776
Past its prime Parry's Primrose

View attachment 132777
Still some snow here and there

View attachment 132778
Showy goldeneye

View attachment 132779
Wasatch beardtongue

View attachment 132780
Jon making his way up the hill

View attachment 132781
Jacob's ladder

View attachment 132782
Some yarrow and cinquefoil

View attachment 132783
View to the north with Bald Mountain

View attachment 132784
Almost to the top of the ridge

View attachment 132785
Mountain dandelions

View attachment 132786
Jon, pointing out our destination

View attachment 132787
Looking down Pole Canyon and out into Juab Valley and Mona Reservoir

View attachment 132788
A good look at Mount Nebo along with the false summit

View attachment 132789
Stonecrop

View attachment 132790
Paintbrush

View attachment 132791
Paintbrush

View attachment 132792
Groundsel

View attachment 132793
Not sure it's getting any closer. :) We are making our way around the west side of
North Peak.

View attachment 132794
Collomia

View attachment 132795
Lewis Flax

View attachment 132796
Common yarrow

View attachment 132797
More groundsel

View attachment 132798
False summit and Mount Nebo. It is a steep climb up the false summit.

View attachment 132799
The trail leading to Wolf Pass

View attachment 132800
A couple of people on the false summit

View attachment 132801
Stonecrop, buckwheat and paintbrush

View attachment 132802
Approaching Wolf Pass

View attachment 132803
A look up the false summit from Wolf Pass. My knees were beginning to whimper. :D

View attachment 132804
A look down into Hellhole Basin and the Nebo Basin from the pass

View attachment 132805
A look back up at North Peak

View attachment 132806
On my way up the false summit. I might be cussing at this point. :)

View attachment 132807
View attachment 132808
Some rock columbine

View attachment 132809
Some hikers on the North Peak.

View attachment 132810
Phlox

View attachment 132811
Groundsel

View attachment 132812
Mount Nebo, peeking around the corner of the false summit

View attachment 132813
Hiker about to summit Nebo

View attachment 132814
On the false summit, looking over at Mount Nebo

View attachment 132815
View attachment 132816
View attachment 132817
View attachment 132818
View attachment 132819
View attachment 132820
On the way over to Nebo from the false summit

View attachment 132822
Scrambling time

View attachment 132823
After the scramble you're still not quite to the summit. Notice the butterflies.

View attachment 132824
Just a short jaunt to the summit from here

View attachment 132825
Looking south, over at Middle Nebo and South Nebo from the summit of Mount Nebo

View attachment 132826
A raven showing off with summit of South Nebo beyond

Mountain goats were cooling off on the snowfields below the summit
View attachment 132827
View attachment 132828
View attachment 132829
View attachment 132830
Not the best, but zoomed on on them

View attachment 132831
And if you look closely, there are some bighorn sheep below too.

View attachment 132832
Summit shot

View attachment 132833
These California Tortoiseshells were all over the summit of Mount Nebo. I have never seen so many butterflies in one place before.
Maybe they are migrating?

View attachment 132834
Beginning the hike back down. My knees weren't too excited about this either. :)

View attachment 132835
Can just make out the southern end of Utah Lake in the distance

View attachment 132836
Heading back to the false summit

View attachment 132837
Western wallflower

View attachment 132838
The trail heads along the top of the red rock below

View attachment 132839
View attachment 132840
The workhorse of this hike - Canon Rebel SL2, Canon PowerShot S200, and the Canon PowerShot SX160 IS

View attachment 132841
Coming down off the ridge

View attachment 132842
Northwestern Fritillary on the snow

View attachment 132843
Common stickseed

View attachment 132844
Parry's primrose in the sunlight

View attachment 132845
A look down Nebo Basin

View attachment 132846
Just follow the ridgeline back to the trailhead now

View attachment 132847
The North Peak in the afternoon

View attachment 132848
The trailhead is within sight

View attachment 132849
Back at the Sube!

This is the "What's Cooking" for @Rockskipper. I told Sheila that if I made it home before 6:00 pm, then we could go out for dinner to someplace close.

View attachment 132850
View attachment 132851
:thinking:

View attachment 132852
Sheila had the pineapple pork sandwich with potato salad

View attachment 132853
While I had a 1/2 rack of ribs with a mac-n-cheese side and a roll (I thought I was supposed to get a hushpuppy) :( I don't think it
was enough to feed a hungry Scatman. :hungry:

We'll be celebrating the 60th and the Mount Nebo summit with nachos from the Porcupine tonight! Can't wait!

The End.
R I B S

Happy birthday young man!

Looks like a good warmup for the torture Bob will expose you to. And looks like a good time as well, as will be the time you get to spend w/ Bob. ;)

Fantastic sunrise too!

Alright, here are the celebratory nachos for the big Six Zero and summiting Nebo yesterday.

04.jpg

And we topped that off with an Oreo shake!
05.jpg

@TractorDoc, I may need one of these shakes about halfway up Hidden Creek to get me up and over the hump. I'll leave it to you and your genius to figure out how to get one that far into the backcountry without melting. :)

Alright, here are the celebratory nachos for the big Six Zero and summiting Nebo yesterday.

View attachment 132858

And we topped that off with an Oreo shake!
View attachment 132859

@TractorDoc, I may need one of these shakes about halfway up Hidden Creek to get me up and over the hump. I'll leave it to you and your genius to figure out how to get one that far into the backcountry without melting. :)
An airdrop would work. Hopefully the pilot wouldn’t crash like the ice cream drop some rafters contracted down in cataract Canyon. The pilot was rescued, but the plane sank and the park service decided to leave it because it was good habitat for endangered humpback chub.

I can fire up the freeze drier. . . or maybe chill it down? :thinking:

I'll have plenty of freeze dried ice cream for you to nibble on along the way. A freeze dried shake should be no problem :thumbsup:

Well done on the Nebo hike by the way. You will definitely be ready for the route @Bob has stitched together. I either need to travel out to the Scat homestead to get some good training hikes in or Ohio needs to grow some bigger mountains.

An airdrop would work. Hopefully the pilot wouldn’t crash like the ice cream drop some rafters contracted down in cataract Canyon. The pilot was rescued, but the plane sank and the park service decided to leave it because it was good habitat for endangered humpback chub.

So I'll need to drop a target on the ground (white cross) so that they will know where to make the drop? Are their specs close enough to get it within 15 yards of the target?

So I'll need to drop a target on the ground (white cross) so that they will know where to make the drop? Are their specs close enough to get it within 15 yards of the target?
If they do aerial spraying, they could probably drop it right on your head. Those guys are extremely accurate.

Not sure what's better, the trip report or all the chatter over it! Doing my best to train for an adventure with @Bob in the Winds but the heat and humidity in the NE is conspiring against me.

A belated Happy Birthday!

I can fire up the freeze drier. . . or maybe chill it down? :thinking:

I'll have plenty of freeze dried ice cream for you to nibble on along the way. A freeze dried shake should be no problem :thumbsup:

Well done on the Nebo hike by the way. You will definitely be ready for the route @Bob has stitched together. I either need to travel out to the Scat homestead to get some good training hikes in or Ohio needs to grow some bigger mountains.
I would buy that if you ever decide to go commercial.

Not sure what's better, the trip report or all the chatter over it! Doing my best to train for an adventure with @Bob in the Winds but the heat and humidity in the NE is conspiring against me.

A belated Happy Birthday!
go easy on it.... Scat about killed me in Jay Creek. Tent zipper broke, one boot stitching coing apart..... calf muscle sprained...... The elevation gain out of Slide lake is looking not so good.... Hidden Canyon is tougher..... may end it for me backpacking...... Horse trip to Dry Creek next year instead, maybe?

go easy on it.... Scat about killed me in Jay Creek. Tent zipper broke, one boot stitching coing apart..... calf muscle sprained...... The elevation gain out of Slide lake is looking not so good.... Hidden Canyon is tougher..... may end it for me backpacking...... Horse trip to Dry Creek next year instead, maybe?

You were your usual impressive self Bob. I'm the one who struggled. Bring some good rope so you guys can lift me up and over the head of Hidden Creek.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bob

Sprained calf isn't good. :oops:Hope that heals in time for Hidden Canyon. 5000' gain in 2 days thru Slide with full loads, especially day 2 up that scree field almost qualifies as "interesting". I wouldn't do the Bear Basin loop solo for sure at my age. Absolutely shoot for Dry Ck pack drop next year.

Let me know how you're feeling after Hidden. If Bear is out, maybe something like New Fk plateau to Elbow, Scab to Europe or one of my favorite spots out of Lander - easy 8-9m entry, not crowded...good fishing at and 1-1.5 m from camp.

Back