Bob's Follies Training Part IV - Church Fork Peak - July 4, 2024

scatman

Less than a month away from the Hidden Creek trip, so Sheila and I made our way up Burch Hollow then followed the Millcreek Ridge west to Church Fork Peak. Horsemint was the dominant wildflower on this hike as most of the others have already peaked. While hiking across the ridge I think we ran into some mountain lion scat. We had the summit of Church Fork Peak all to ourselves.

01.jpg
Made it to the trailhead around 6:30 am. There was already quite a few cars at the lot.

02.jpg
Diamond clarkia

03.jpg
Showy goldeneye

04.jpg
Hookers onion

05.jpg
Nipplewort

06.jpg
Streambank globemallow

07.jpg
Looking west at the mouth of Millcreek Canyon

08.jpg
Time to start climbing up the hollow

09.jpg
Fleabane

10.jpg
15.jpg
Horsemint

11.jpg
Western wallflower

13.jpg12.jpg
Lewis flax

14.jpg
View across Millcreek Canyon

16.jpg
17.jpg
Two different bumblebees on horsemint

18.jpg
19.jpg
Lupine

20.jpg
Grand collomia

21.jpg
Common yarrow

22.jpg
Western ridge of Burch Hollow. We will make our way across this ridge to reach Church Fork Peak

23.jpg
Skyrocket

24.jpg
Wasatch beardtongue

25.jpg
Getting close to the top of Burch Hollow

26.jpg
Enjoying the view at the top of the hollow

27.jpg
Me and Olympus (above my head)

28.jpg
Ninebark

29.jpg
Sticky geranium

30.jpg
Looking north from the ridgeline

31.jpg
A little bit of bushwhacking when we lost the elk trail. Good training for @Bob 's big adventure. :)

32.jpg
False sunflower

33.jpg
Zoomed in on Church Fork Peak to the west of us.

34.jpg
Wasatch beardtongue

35.jpg
Cougar scat? Calling @Outdoor_Fool . That is a 77mm lens cap.

36.jpg
More false sunflowers

37.jpg
A yurt ahead

38.jpg
And a sniff of Grandeur Peak to the west

39.jpg
Where I was last week - Mount Olympus

40.jpg
Yellows salsify

41.jpg
Jacobs ladder and a yellowjacket

42.jpg
43.jpg
This grouse scared the hell out of us just before we reached the yurt. On our way back down if got aggressive protecting its young.
Grouse vs. Scatman 10 round bout. The grouse took the first three rounds, but it was all Scatman after that. :)

44.jpg
Sticky starwort

45.jpg
More jacob's ladder

46.jpg
Arriving at the yurt

47.jpg
She had to peek inside. :)

48.jpg
Arriving at the summit of Church Fork Peak

49.jpg
With Grandeur Peak in the background

50.jpg
Stonecrop

51.jpg
Olympus and Grandeur

52.jpg
Lunch time

52b.jpg
A slice of habanero jack

53.jpg
Zoomed in on the summit of Grandeur with the Oquirrhs beyond and the Stansbury Range in the far distance

54.jpg
Summit shot

55.jpg
I wonder how long it would take me to reach Grandeur from here? :thinking:

56.jpg
Butterfly on top

57.jpg
More lewis flax at the summit

58.jpg
On our way back down with the eastern slopes of Burch Hollow visible, along with (L-R) Mount Aire, Unnamed Peak 8490, and
Millvue Peak

59.jpg
View up Porter Fork towards Gobblers Knob and Mount Raymond

60.jpg
More skyrocket

61.jpg
Columbine

62.jpg
Still making our way back along the north ridge of Burch Hollow, with Mount Aire beyond

63.jpg
Wild rose

64.jpg
Lizard

66.jpg
Sego lily

67.jpg
View down Burch Hollow with Wildcat Ridge across the way

68.jpg
Curved rock formation on the eastern slope of Burch Hollow

69.jpg
Looks like the trail leads to Mount Raymond

70.jpg
Back on the Pipeline Trail, looking up at Burch Hollow

71.jpg
More common yarrow on the Pipeline Trail

72.jpg
View up Millcreek Canyon

73.jpg
74.jpg
The workhorses for this hike - Canon PowerShot SX150 IS and the Canon EOS 1D (Classic). I thought the 1D took better pictures
than the 7D @Rockskipper. The 1D is only a 4.2 megapixel sensor.

75.jpg
Mileage sign at trail junction

76.jpg
Back at the Sube.

The End.

Last edited:
No yurt at the top of Deer Creek......

Since most of my photos go on the walls of airport terminals in big cities, I don't ever crop anything.

ETA: I take that back. I did crop a photo once that accidentally had a guy in a bikini in it. :)

Wonderful photos, especially the wildflowers which I always love. During fireworks last night, I commented to my husband that one of them seemed new and looked like thick white flowers moving in the wind. Your horsemint is the one!

I dunno, now that I'm thinking of it, that photo uncropped might be a big hit on the wall of a terminal somewhere...like maybe the one in Tuktoyaktuk?

Many artists have not been appreciated in their present. . . who knows what the future might hold for the bikini clad Scatman.

A combination of expressionism, impressionism, and savage photogenicity might just be what future generations look for in their hubs of international transport.

@Rockskipper should come up with a name for this piece of work. "The Timeless Art of Seduction" is already taken I think. :)

@scatman certainly could be lion. Did you see bone fragments or hair? Could also be coyote. Or chupacabra even.

Yes there was hair in it. I didn't check for bone fragments. I need to remember to do that next time. It seemed too large for coyote, unless there is an extremely large one roaming the ridgeline.

Back