Bob's Follies Training Part III - Mount Olympus - June 28, 2024

scatman

I'm going to be doing a route that @Bob dreamed up through parts of the Washakie and Teton Wildernesses starting on August 1st. We'll be heading up Deer Creek to Deer Creek Pass, then we will do a little off-trailing until we pick up the outfitter's trail down North Fork Butte Creek, following it down to Butte Creek and then on to Thorofare Creek. We will then follow the Hidden Creek drainage to the creek's headwaters, head up and over the ridge and drop down to the North Fork of the Yellowstone. After following the North Fork for a bit, we will once again climb above the drainage, contour around Thorofare Mountain and the headwaters of Thorofare Creek on our way towards Yellow Mountain. We will continue in the high country along the ridgeline before dropping down to some high mountain tarns. Eventually, we will drop down into Fall Creek Drainage and will follow the trail down to the South Fork of the Shoshone River where will will follow the river to our ending trailhead. It all seems pretty straight forward if the weather cooperates with us. So once spring warmed up enough for me to be on a trail and I received the doctor's okay after my bunion surgery to start hiking, I've been training for this one.

I've got all the minor peaks here in the Wasatch foothills under my belt and also the Grandeur Loop done, and a nice hike up Mount Aire last weekend. My son is in town for a week, visiting from Portland, and I asked if he would like to do a hike one day while he is here. He said sure and chose Mount Olympus for our hike. So yesterday (Friday), we hit the trail early at 6:30 am from the Mount Olympus Trailhead, which happened to be quite crowded with cars for that early I thought.

We made it all the way up to the saddle where we took a break so that I could eat a protein bar to refuel before attempting the scramble section to the summit. Once on the summit, while I was busy taking pictures, we started to hear this weird noise. Hugh II asked me what it was and I told him that I wasn't sure. It almost sounded like a human scream crossed with a bird chirping. About five minutes later a guy appeared at the summit and told us that he didn't want to alarm us, but there was a mountain lion below in the rocks. He said that he had heard the noises too, and that he was able to identify the cougar from an app on his phone. He then was able to locate the cat on the rocks just below the summit. So I thought that was pretty cool. The first time that I have heard a cougar in the wild. I'll take it. While on the summit, we also got to watch a hiker make his way from the north summit over to us on the south summit, which is quite a route. We then proceeded to finish our lunches before heading back down. We looked for the lion but never saw it. The hike out from Tolcats Canyon was hot and miserable like it always is this time of year. After finishing up, we headed to the Porcupine for some celebratory nachos and a beer.

001.jpg
Parking lot nearly full at 6:30 am

001b.jpg
The Mount Olympus shadow.

01.jpg
02.jpg
Hike participants. I see the Forest Service still hasn't replace the wilderness sign.

04.jpg
Not a big wildflower hike, but these penstemons were nice - mostly wild roses, horsemint
and ninebark on this hike

05.jpg
A spotted towhee on Suicide Hill. We saw five California doves around 7600 feet in elevation along the trail. I have never seen
doves that high up before.

06.jpg
Ninebark

07.jpg
Diamond Clarkia

07b.jpg
Hawksbeard?

08.jpg
Rocky trail

09.jpg
Horsemint

10.jpg
Chukar up on top of the ridge

11.jpg
Broads Fork Twin Peaks and Sunrise Peak, seen from the saddle

12.jpg
13.jpg
Chilin' at the saddle

14.jpg
Stonecrop

15.jpg
Wild roses

16.jpg
One of the scramble sections just off the saddle

16b.jpg
Scrambling

17.jpg
Groundsel

18.jpg
Hugh II scrambling

19.jpg
Made it to the summit

20.jpg
Grandeur Peak

21.jpg
Summit shot

21b.jpg
Hey, somebody is over on the north summit. We watched this guy descend off the north summit and make his way over to us on
the south summit. Gotta be some butt puckering coming off of the north summit in our direction.

22.jpg
Zoomed in on the north summit after the hiker descended

24.jpg
25.jpg
Making his way off the north summit

26.jpg
Last drop to the saddle

27.jpg
Making his @Bob move across a dead log

23.jpg
The Pfeifferhorn

28.jpg
More Broads Fork

29.jpg
This is the guy that crossed over from the north summit. We chatted with him for a few minutes. He said he was contemplating
finishing Wildcat Ridge all the way to Gobblers Knob. I told him that would be a hell of a day. He's texting Hugh II some shots he
took on his way over to the south summit.

39.jpg
40.jpg
That is Scatman himself on the south summit, just to the right of Broads Fork Twin Peaks
41.jpg
42.jpg

30.jpg
Butterfly on our way down

31.jpg
Sego Lilly

31b.jpg
32.jpg
The workhorses for this hike - Canon EOS 7D, a Canon PowerShot SD450, and a Fujifilm XP waterproof camera.

33.jpg
Almost no cars left in the lot when ae arrived back at the trailhead

34.jpg
35.jpg
And on to the Porcupine. You can just make out the summit of Mount Olympus behind the sign in the second shot

36.jpg
Hungry? :D

37.jpg
You better believe it! :) Polygamy Porter in hand.

38.jpg
The Mount Olympus of nachos!

The End.

Last edited:
Ahhhh ....... that scramble section will get you ready for the climb out of Hidden Canyon !

Remember, I offered horses for going up Deer Creek to the Pass........

Those nachos look like a butchered birthday cake. And your 7D reminded me of the days when I happily owned one and stupidly sold it.

And Scatman Jr. is a very nice looking young man, for a human, anyway.

Well Done Hughs!

I am jealous of all your day hike options. Cannot think of a better way to spend a day.

Remember, I offered horses for going up Deer Creek to the Pass
If I was someone of means I might cough up some cash to fund Scatman's ride to the top. Just to see what he would look like riding a horse.

I think it might look something like this. :)

1719704713585.png

Well Done Hughs!

I am jealous of all your day hike options. Cannot think of a better way to spend a day.

If I was someone of means I might cough up some cash to fund Scatman's ride to the top. Just to see what he would look like riding a horse.

I think it might look something like this.

View attachment 132408
Lol...... We could either request a draft horse or a Shetland...... Depending on how we felt.

Ahhhh ....... that scramble section will get you ready for the climb out of Hidden Canyon !

Remember, I offered horses for going up Deer Creek to the Pass........

That's what I'm afraid of Bob.

I was tempted as long as I got to ride a mule, but I need to prove to myself that this is still in my wheelhouse.

Those nachos look like a butchered birthday cake. And your 7D reminded me of the days when I happily owned one and stupidly sold it.

And Scatman Jr. is a very nice looking young man, for a human, anyway.

Those nachos are boss Skipper. I am going to treat you whenever you are in town and decide to drop by. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Not sure about the 7D. I had some trouble with some of the shots I took.
03.jpg

Of course it might be the camera, or perhaps the lens, or maybe the damn photographer is to blame! :mad: Figure that one out for me.

Thanks for the kind words about my son. Believe me he gets none of it from his pappy. All the credit deservingly goes to his mother.

Well Done Hughs!

I think it might look something like this. :)

View attachment 132408

That looks about right Dave, except for the lack of a kilt that is. :)

Lol...... We could either request a draft horse or a Shetland...... Depending on how we felt.

Or a mule. :thumbsup:

Ohhh big cat, spicy.

That off-trail over into North Fork Butte Creek totally goes. If you see my one-eyed pirate griz friend, say hi to him for me... from a good long ways away!

Would love to see a cougar in the wild, but hearing one was really special too.

I'm planning on getting a picture of your grizz. Which eye has the patch so I know I've go the right one? :) Glad that encounter didn't turn out worse.

While digitizing the route along the North Fork Butte Creek in Google Earth. I think it might be a bear.

Grizzly.jpg

Of course it might be the camera, or perhaps the lens, or maybe the damn photographer is to blame! :mad: Figure that one out for me.
Well, it got the colors right. In all fairness, it's more of a bird/wildlife camera, so maybe it thought the plant was going to move and was tracking it.

Back