Bob Marshall Bear Spray

Aldaron

I've got my sights set on a packrafting trip into The Bob this summer, and I was wondering if anyone knows of somewhere in Missoula to rent bear spray. I've scoured online and can't find anywhere, but I thought someone might know of an outfitter that would rent out a can or two, or if there's someone who lives locally who would be willing to loan out a can or two for some cash. It's just so painful to have to buy it there and then leave it behind.

Thanks!

Keith

Depending on how close you're gonna get to Glacier, they loan it out for free there at the ranger stations.

There's a venerated member here who lives in Fairbanks and has a can hidden somewhere near W. Yellowstone that he'd probably loan out if you go through that area. I think he goes by something like O'Fool. ;)

:)

I've got a can stashed in a friend's garage in Salt Lake (he may or may not know it's there), but it seems like I haven't been flying through there as much as I expected after I moved away!

Unfortunately, we won't be close to Glacier, to rent from there. I'm planning to fly into Missoula and then we'll be starting at the Benchmark TH on the south-east side of the wilderness.

:)

I've got a can stashed in a friend's garage in Salt Lake (he may or may not know it's there), but it seems like I haven't been flying through there as much as I expected after I moved away!

Unfortunately, we won't be close to Glacier, to rent from there. I'm planning to fly into Missoula and then we'll be starting at the Benchmark TH on the south-east side of the wilderness.
Give the motel in Augusta a call. A lot of CDT hikers go through there and they may have a can laying around that somebody left. No guarantees but probably worth a phone call.

@Aldaron
Shipping bear spray via ground transportation in the lower 48 is an option. Check with the UPS/Fedex/USPS in Kalispell and they should be able to fix you up. You just can't ship it via air which is why you can't ship it between AK and the lower 48.

@Outdoor_Fool already hooked me up with bear spray in Alaska a couple of years ago :) That was the nicest thing and he was amazingly helpful about it.

Maybe I need some advice on hiding bear spray. I've purchased spray in multiple places over the years, only to leave the unused cans at a hotel at the end of the trip.

@Aldaron
Shipping bear spray via ground transportation in the lower 48 is an option. Check with the UPS/Fedex/USPS in Kalispell and they should be able to fix you up. You just can't ship it via air which is why you can't ship it between AK and the lower 48.
This is true in theory, but I've found in practice that a lot of postal agents just refuse to let it thru, even with an ORM-D sticker.

This is true in theory, but I've found in practice that a lot of postal agents just refuse to let it thru, even with an ORM-D sticker.
Interesting to read. I have heard of some success stories. I can't remember which company was used but Fedex seemed like the one used.

I've never tried to mail bear spray because I've read countless stories online of very mixed results. And I've dug and dug, trying to find official policy about mailing bear spray, and I can't find anything. I think most people say they have problems with FedEx, while some have used UPS if they take it to an actual UPS warehouse, but those can be few and far between. Others have used USPS. But it seems that for every successful shipping story, there are two unsuccessful stories for the same carriers. And I can't find any specific rules online to use to convince an uncooperative employee. The closest thing I've found addresses pepper spray generically, but it has more rules than just dropping it off and shipping it by ground. And even then, it's unclear if a normal person can do it, or if you have to be a certified HAZMAT shipper. It's weird.

We need to set up BCP Bear Spray Caches. BCP members can pick up cans as needed and leave cans when done. A central database would hold GPS coordinates. You log in when you retrieve or leave a can to keep it current. I'll start out by donating a can near Livingston, but I don't have a GPS so someone will have to buy one and donate it to me so I can figure out where I left it. (A Garmin Oregon 750t would work fine.) :)

There's a bear researcher who's worked with training bears to use touchscreens, so we'd have to be really careful about where the caches were. Probably best if not in bear country. :)

Last edited:
I've got a can in Salt Lake anyone is always welcome to borrow. I've got like 4 cans in Alabama...but there's usually no real good reason to need bear spray out here.