Bob Marshall - accidents ...

They were lucky to have cell service at the trailhead. I don't even have that in the Winds. Keep debating buying a PLB or sat com for solo trips. Another reminder.

Everyone should carry a PLB. No subscription plan needed and they're small and lightweight. They're handy even if your car ran off the road in a remote area and you needed emergency help.

Even with the subscription cost something like an Inreach is cheap insurance. I pay about $12/month (cheapest annual plan) on my old Inreach, well worth the cost given the potential for injuries like "broken in two places above the ankle" not to mention car problems at the trailhead.

I've wondered about how I'd handle a situation like that before, but having the InReach really does help keep some of those concerns down. Also being just 7 miles from the trailhead is pretty fortunate considering they were on a trip in the Bob. On most trips back in there you probably find yourself much farther than that from a trailhead just because it's a such a huge area that you have to put a lot of time/miles into to see.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
TheMountainRabbit Bob Marshall Wilderness - September 2023 Backpacking 8
TheMountainRabbit Invite Bob Marshall Wilderness, September 2023 Meet Up (Members Only) 0
NorthwestWanderer Walking the top of Montana's CHINESE WALL | A Bob Marshall Trek Backpacking 14
F Maps for the Bob Marshall Wilderness Resource Discussions 3
Bob Bob Marshall - 7 days Backpacking 7
marquiri Bob Marshall Fall 2021 Trip Planning 0
marquiri Bob Marshall Wilderness Trip Planning 0
Mountain Wanderer A smoky trip into the Bob Marshall Wilderness Backpacking 2
montanaclimber Looking for bob Marshall recommendation Backpacking 1
Mountain Wanderer First Trip into the Bob Marshall Wilderness Backpacking 2
misSOULa Six days in the Bob Marshall Wilderness: The Chinese Wall and White River Backpacking 15
Aldaron Bob Marshall Bear Spray Trip Planning 14
T Best place to backpack the Bob Marshall? Trip Planning 17
J Invite Bob Marshall Wilderness mid July Meet Up (Members Only) 10
scatman Yellowstone's Thorofare, Headwaters of Thorofare Creek, Majo Pass, Younts Peak, Bob's Canyon, and Cub Creek - August 9, 2023 - Days 7 through 10 Backpacking 34
scatman Yellowstone's Thorofare, Headwaters of Thorofare Creek, Majo Pass, Younts Peak, Bob's Canyon, and Cub Creek - August 9, 2023 - Days 1 through 6 Backpacking 56
Rockskipper @Bob or anyone know why they closed down part of the forest near W. Yellowstone? General Discussion 6
IlVagabondo Looking for a ~30 mile loop in the Scapegoat/Bob Trip Planning 2
4 Suggestions for 5-6 day trip in the Bob Trip Planning 10
J The Bob Backpacking 4
Bobinconifer Hi my name is Bob and I'm a noob Noobs: Introduce yourself! 5