BLM, National Park Service close public lands due to trespassing cattle dispute

IntrepidXJ

ADVENTR
Looks like part of the Gold Butte region is going to closed for a little while. Just in case anyone has plans to visit the area soon...

http://www.stgeorgeutah.com/news/ar...blic-lands-due-to-trespassing-cattle-dispute/

LAS VEGAS – Public lands managed by the Bureau of Land Management in northeastern portions of Clark County, Nev., within the Gold Butte, Mormon Mesa, Bunkerville Flats areas, will be subject to temporary closures beginning March 27.

The BLM Southern Nevada District Office and the National Park Service’s Lake Mead National Recreation Area are taking steps to resolve a longstanding cattle trespass on federal lands. As cattle that are in trespass are removed, specific geographic areas within the overall closure boundary will be temporarily closed as necessary for the safety of the public, federal employees and contractor personnel. Areas temporarily closed to public access will be posted with signs and a temporary closure notice. Some areas may also be temporarily fenced off to members of the public.

Details of closures within BLM-managed lands are available in a Notice of Temporary Closure on Public Land that will publish March 27. At Lake Mead National Recreation Area, closures will be announced, as they are needed, through future news releases.

For more than two decades, cattle have been grazed illegally on public lands in northeast Clark County, Nev. The BLM and NPS have made repeated attempts to resolve this matter administratively and judicially. Impoundment of cattle illegally grazing on public lands is an option of last resort. The BLM and NPS are working closely with local, state and federal officials to ensure the gather of unauthorized cattle occurs in a safe and orderly manner.

Submitted by the Bureau of Land Management, Southern Nevada

Here's a map the BLM is updating with the closures: http://www.blm.gov/pgdata/etc/media...7.File.dat/032814cattletrespassclosuremap.pdf

Hah.......what a excuse to block off that much land...... conspiracy I tell you...........

glad I went last month. It's getting too hot soon anyway and as long as they open the area later this year again I'm okay with it.
Cattle issues somehow is a lame excuse. They are there as long as I can remember visiting the area and this is at least for the last 8 years.

^ I sometimes forget yall arent locals! This is a huge news story that has blown up in most of the local newspapers. A rancher has been in a dispute with the BLM for 20 some odd years. He lost his lease (well stopped paying in protest to him being told to cut his herd considerably for tortoise) and the BLM has been "trying" to get him to remove his cattle from this chunk of land. Over 20 years the cattle have spread pretty much everywhere. Finally a local environmental group sued the BLM because he still has cattle on the land (I guess they purchased the lease after he lost it?) and the BLM is now being forced to roundup the cattle. Well to make a long story short the rancher is pulling the "from my cold dead hands" card and range war and threats against anyone who "rustles" his cattle. I believe the closures are in part because of this... Here area couple links

-http://www.reviewjournal.com/news/emotions-run-high-blm-closes-600000-acres-cattle-roundup
-http://www.reviewjournal.com/news/nevada/bunkerville-rancher-vows-resist-federal-roundup-his-cattle
-http://www.thespectrum.com/article/20140313/NEWS01/303130052/Bunkerville-rancher-ready-new-BLM-fight
-http://www.stgeorgeutah.com/news/archive/2014/03/28/kilter-trespass-cattleman-law/#.Uzsma6hdWSo

Woah, crazy story.

I get that the rancher wants to keep the area he's raised cattle on for so long, but he doesn't even own the land. If you don't own the land, you don't get to fight it.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
gnwatts BLM Oil and Gas lease auction, Arches, Canyonlands, Bears Ears etc. General Discussion 5
fossana BLM looking for input on accelerating grazing permits (comment through 6 Mar) General Discussion 2
IntrepidXJ BLM - Cedar Mesa Fees General Discussion 0
T Dark canyon - lower blm portion with pack goats?? Canyoneering 2
Mike Jones Smithsonian Butte Road Utah BLM camping? Trip Planning 5
Bob Wire BLM destroying The Gulch in GSENM Hiking & Camping 1
natylka Blm camping near zion Trip Planning 3
IntrepidXJ BLM re-evaluates walk-in permits for The Wave, considers online alternative General Discussion 0
Bob Cedar Mesa - BLM Main Permit, Info Page Resource Discussions 0
jonmessina BLM Campgrounds Trip Planning 0
NateGeesaman BLM mismanagement General Discussion 4
TheMountainRabbit News Release: Yellowstone National Park increases protection for bears and visitor safety by implementing changes to two bear management areas General Discussion 14
scatman The Gallatin River, Bighorn and Fawn Passes, Yellowstone National Park - September 7, 2023 Backpacking 14
futurafree government shutdown effects on national forests? General Discussion 21
BJett Packrafting the Obed National Wild & Scenic River - Tennessee On The Water 1
fossana New Baaj Nwaavjo I'tah Kukveni National Monument General Discussion 4
J York Fire, Mojave National Preserve. Aug 2023 Resource Discussions 3
Janice Field Trip - Washington Post podcast about national parks General Discussion 0
I Rescue Creek - Yellowstone National Park - June 3, 2023 Backpacking 15
scatman Rescue Creek - Yellowstone National Park - June 3, 2023 Backpacking 56
TractorDoc Cuyahoga Valley National Park (again!) 06/04/2023 Hiking & Camping 6
TractorDoc Cuyahoga Valley National Park 05/28/2023 Hiking & Camping 20
scatman Rescue Creek - Yellowstone National Park Meet Up (Members Only) 19
D Need suggestions -Beaverhead-Deerlodge National forrest, and Phillipsburg, MT Trip Planning 5
Ted California couple killed in Yosemite National Park rockslide identified by park officials General Discussion 0
NorthwestWanderer Backpacking Grand Teton National Park : Fossil Pass,Fox Creek Pass,Indian Lake,Alaska Basin,Hurricane Pass,Ice Floe Lake,& Snowdrift Lake Backpacking 19
fossana New National Monument planned in Southern NV General Discussion 3
canadug Hiker death in Zion National park :( Hiking & Camping 32
F Frontenac National Park, Quebec, Canada Hiking & Camping 2
J Mojave National Preserve Monsoon Aug. 3, 2022 Trip Planning 2
scatman Shoshone Lake Lollipop Loop - Yellowstone National Park - July 24, 2022 Backpacking 63
Absarokanaut Flooding in Yellowstone National Park and Adjacent Areas of Montana Today June 13, 2022 General Discussion 82
Dreamer El Yunque National Forest Hiking & Camping 3
Rockskipper pay-for-bot-scanning services for National Park campsites - interesting comments General Discussion 1
BJett Big South Fork National River & Recreation Area Packraft/Backpack Loop (TN) Backpacking 6
norwegianxplorer 7 days backpacking Breheimen/Glacier Home National Park in Norway Backpacking 2
pstm13 Rocky Mountain National Park Mid June with Kids Trip Planning 7
pstm13 Rocky Mountain National Park Mid June with Kids Trip Planning 0
Rockskipper Application Period Open For 2023 Private River Trips Through Grand Canyon National Park General Discussion 0
norwegianxplorer Backpacking SAREK NATIONAL PARK, Arctic Sweden, Camping Above RAPADALEN delta. Backpacking 7
balzaccom SAR in our national parks Trip Planning 8
S Mentasta Mountains, Wrangell St. Elias National Park and Preserve- family backpack Backpacking 1
Tim Valentine Point Reyes National Seashore December 2021 Hiking & Camping 14
scatman Grizzly Lake - Yellowstone National Park - September - 2022 Meet Up (Members Only) 149
norwegianxplorer Finding Hidden Glacier, 9 days backpacking Jotunheimen National Park Pt3, Norway. Trip Reports 0
P A short hike on the AT in Shenandoah National Park Hiking & Camping 0
norwegianxplorer Highest Mountain in Norway, Galdhøpiggen, the start of a 9 day backpacking trip in Jotunheimen national park Backpacking 0
norwegianxplorer 5 days Backpacking Rondane National Park, Norway Backpacking 3
norwegianxplorer Backpacking Norway, Femundsmarka National Park Pt 3, Grand Scandinavian Hiking & Backpacking Tour Ep4 Backpacking 0
scatman Gneiss Creek Part 2 - Yellowstone National Park - September 18, 2021 Hiking & Camping 0