BISHOP BACKROADS ROCK ART

napatony13

Saturday 5/08 I took a 60 mile dirt road excursion through Western Nevada, which culminated with a climb up and over Lucky Boy Pass near Hawthorne.

IMG_1249 (2).JPG
Looking down from the pass.

I tried to find a rock art site that I had uncovered on an old map. I located one feint glyph (possibly a snake) and a rock circle, but that was it. I doubt this site was worth a mention on a map, and upon further review I think I was too far south and missed the real target.

IMG_1250 (2).JPG

IMG_1252 (2).JPG

From there I continued on towards the eastern side of Mono Lake.

IMG_1254 (2).JPG

All of my previous trips through this area had been in the Fall/Winter. I was surprised that the desert didn't look a whole lot different in the Spring. The only exception was this thorny shrub that was prolific around the lake and awash in pink blooms.

IMG_1384 (2).JPG

I had originally planned an off-road bypass on the eastern side of the lake, but I was running late and was unsure of the quality of the roads. I decided to save this for another time and headed back to the 395. From previous trips I've learned that you need to be very strategic about where you gas up in this part of the world.

IMG_1382.JPG

Just south of the lake I turned east and took the 120 towards Benton. This was an interesting drive with a lot of diversity. It also included a couple of miles that were the closest thing to a rollercoaster that I have ever experienced. There were about 20 "lose your stomach" dips in this straight section of road, and a couple of times I had to brake hard for fear of getting airborne!

Just as the sun was setting I rendezvoused with my son up in the tablelands north of Bishop. We camped out there with the plan of exploring some of the rock art sites that dot the rocky outcroppings in this area. We got an early start and ended up visiting six separate sites. They were certainly prolific...some boulders were just jammed full of glyphs. A few were identifiable (shields, footprints, animals) but most were abstract or geometrical. Unfortunately whatever they were trying to communicate has been lost to time.

IMG_1329 (2).JPG
IMG_1322 (2).JPG
IMG_1321 (2).JPG
IMG_1308 (2).JPG
IMG_1281 (2).JPG
IMG_1337 (2).JPG
IMG_1353 (2).JPG
IMG_1359 (2).JPG
IMG_1364 (2).JPG
IMG_1371 (2).JPG
IMG_1285 (2).JPG

By late morning it was beginning to heat up. I had a few more sites on my list, but also needed to be back in Napa for Mothers Day dinner. I decided to pull the plug and save a few things for next time. The Sunday traffic in the Lake Tahoe region must have been horrible, as my phone app routed me up and over the Sonora Pass. It was a beautiful drive up the eastern flank of the Sierra and over the 9600' summit.

IMG_1386 (2).JPG
IMG_1388 (2).JPG
IMG_1389 (2).JPG

Interesting looking camper topper on your truck there. What is it?

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
Curt Bishop's Castle Everything Else 1
someguy Rob Bishop to speak with Salt Lake Tribune about Public Lands General Discussion 0
Laura Back to Bishop, CA Everything Else 22
Laura Bishop, CA trip Hiking & Camping 6
IntrepidXJ The Racetrack to Bishop Hiking & Camping 4
Dreamer Sublette County backroads fly fishing and truck camping On The Water 7
TrailScot Hole-in-the-Rock Road - Escalante General Discussion 11
TrailScot Capitol Reef NP - 5 Day Backpacking Adventure from Chimney Rock to Burro Wash - October 2023 Backpacking 10
Jackson Little Rock Creek Backpacking 5
2eez4life Suggestions: Uintas Backpacking with some rock climbing routes Trip Planning 0
kwc Another Southern Adirondacks hike - Clockmill Pond and Rock Lake Hiking & Camping 0
R Pony Express Trail, Black Rock to Simpson Springs Hiking & Camping 3
XID_AZ Willow Gulch from Hole in the Rock Trip Planning 4
fossana Yellow Rock, Pollock Arch, Hackberry Canyon loop (GSENM) Hiking & Camping 10
F Who has been here? Ruin off Hole-in-the-Rock road General Discussion 4
napatony13 UNUSUAL ROCK ART STYLES Off Road 4
scatman Beartooth Wilderness - Flat Rock Lake Lollipop Loop - July 26, 2021 Backpacking 56
C Coyote Gulch via Chimney rock trail Trip Planning 0
napatony13 SUCCESSFUL SLEUTHING-Nevada Rock Art Off Road 6
Henk Moab rock art vandalized General Discussion 1
J Bunch O' N. San Rafael Swell summit scrambles April 10-12, 2021 (now w/rock art) Hiking & Camping 3
J Dayhiking Moab's awesome geography, couple hikes to summits and rock art April 8-9, 2021 Hiking & Camping 0
scatman Castle Rock - April 3, 2021 Hiking & Camping 13
norwegianxplorer Preikestolen, Pulpit Rock, Hiking Norways most Iconic and spectacular Landmark & views, Lysefjord, Norway Hiking & Camping 1
Stephanie B Fishing (for Trout) and Hunting (for Rock Art) In and Near Capitol Reef National Park Hiking & Camping 7
T Status of Traffic - Hole in the rock road - Escalante - September? Trip Planning 2
fossana Wire Pass fire (impacting House Rock Rd/Buckskin Gulch) Trip Planning 3
Stephanie B Searchin' for Ruins and Rock Art in San Juan County, UT Hiking & Camping 6
NorthwestWanderer Backpacking the Pasayten Wilderness : Harts Pass, PCT, Windy Pass, Buffalo Pass, Foggy Pass, Jim Pass, Hulman Pass & Rock Pass Meadows Backpacking 3
NorthwestWanderer Waterfall Hikes & the death of my legendary Chevy Cobalt...in a rock slide. Hiking & Camping 8
Stephanie B Eagle Rock Shelter (Delta County, CO) Hiking & Camping 2
Rockskipper Hiker seriously injured by rock at Fisher Towers General Discussion 12
Stephanie B Sand Island and Sand Dune Rock Art Hiking & Camping 1
b.stark Crack In Rock - Fall 2016 Backpacking 6
J Red Rock(s) Canyon Natl.Conservation Area Hikes and Scrambles Nov. 15 and 16, 2017 Hiking & Camping 0
L Red Castle Lakes / Wilson Peak OR Rock Creek Basin Trip Planning 4
LoneWolfOutdoors Eagle Rock Loop Trail in Arkansas Backpacking 6
BJett Shining Rock Wilderness Backpacking 10
Strawsome What is your favorite hike in the Escalante/Hole in the rock road area? General Discussion 6
Jimmy Hole in the Rock Car Camping Trip Planning 0
powderglut Toadstools and Hoodoos in the White Rock Valley Hiking & Camping 8
IntrepidXJ Album Hoodoos, Spires and other Rock Formations Photography 73
SKLund Spilling the Beans on Rock Art General Discussion 15
Rockskipper As ice thaws, rock avalanches on Southeast Alaska mountains are getting bigger General Discussion 0
G Hole in the Rock Hitchhiking Trip Planning 6
WasatchWill Hiking Chimney Rock & Hickman Bridge Hiking & Camping 2
Jackson Hunting for Rock Art in Tooele County Hiking & Camping 5
Dave Smith Rock State Park, Oregon Hiking & Camping 2
J Sloan Canyon & Lake Mead summits and rock art Nov 26-28, 2016 Hiking & Camping 0
J Summits and Rock Art in Nevada's Mojave Nov 8-10, 2016 Hiking & Camping 2