Bikes

Yes! Under I 80.
It was one of the strangest things I have ever done. The light from the open ends doesn't reach the middle. I felt myself moving but the light at the end didn't change for a bit. I had no reference to show I was moving but I knew I was moving. I just sat back and smiled my butt off.
Sarah and I called that tunnel Alice's Rabbit Hole. Not an official name but our personal name for it.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Sorry I 15. By Washington.

Bikepacked to Junes Bottom on the Green River a few weeks ago, here is the bike i used. Its a Niners Sir9
2ltr4p3.jpg

I really love the idea of Bikepacking, especially on old roads that my car can't handle.

I have a question for you guys though, and I'm genuinely curious. What rules do you all follow?

As far as I know, if it isn't a designated trail a bike isn't allowed. All wilderness, you can only ride on pre-designated roads right?

I recently came across some bike tracks in some deep wilderness, and it really bummed me out. I hope most bikers are respecting these rules.

re: Church Rocks tunnel
It's I-15 :). It's feels like a time warp, definitely worth doing.

I've been thinking a lot about trying out bike packing or even bike touring. It's been an ongoing internal struggle for a few months of what to build for my next bike. Either a full suspension mountain bike, or a bike touring/packing setup (probably more geared toward bike touring). Then I found out about gravel bikes, which really appeal to me since my home state of Nebraska has endless miles of gravel roads...

I really love the idea of Bikepacking, especially on old roads that my car can't handle.

I have a question for you guys though, and I'm genuinely curious. What rules do you all follow?

As far as I know, if it isn't a designated trail a bike isn't allowed. All wilderness, you can only ride on pre-designated roads right?...

Some of the WSAs in southern UT at least have existing ranch roads, which are OK to ride. Wilderness singletrack is off-limits IMO, and should stay that way. I say this as a MTBer.

Wilderness singletrack is off-limits IMO, and should stay that way. I say this as a MTBer.

Agree - I never ride in Wilderness areas, nor do I want to encounter MTBs while hiking/backpacking in Wilderness areas. I have not encountered issues along these lines in Utah, but I have spent time riding in central Idaho (north of Sun Valley), and this is a hot topic in that region. Apparently, there is some newly proposed/designated Wilderness area that has/would close some long-established and popular MTB trails. That makes the issue a bit more sticky. Someone else on this site could probably provide more details. I was just overhearing some conversations at the trailhead and around town.

I've been worried that fat tire bikes will lead to a big increase in bike traffic in S Utah areas that were previously too sandy to be fun for people, but so far haven't seen much evidence of this happening.

Also, of course, I want a fat tire bike so I can ride parts of S Utah that have sand traps. Little-driven roads in and around the Maze District seem like they're begging to be bikepacked.

I've been worried that fat tire bikes will lead to a big increase in bike traffic in S Utah areas that were previously too sandy to be fun for people, but so far haven't seen much evidence of this happening.
I'd be more worried about e-bikes.

Digging up a zombie thread to make another post... after a couple years of experimenting with various bikes and setups, I'm pretty happy with this bike that I got in July. It's a Rodeo Labs TrailDonkey. I have both 700c and 650b wheelsets, although I mostly use the latter with fluffy tires, for extra fun and adventure. Still have a couple other bikes, but this one works best for the riding I do most, and enjoy the most, which is exploring backroads and mild trails.

It's a quite photogenic bike. Just a couple samples here from riding backroads in the Black Hills of SD.

i-nZ9BWdb-XL.jpg

i-n8fFF3N-XL.jpg

Now I personally have a Haro Mountain Bike which now have had for over 20 years and love the bike and biking. The bike is still in Great Shape. I do not have a car and so my bike is my transportation much of the year. I live here in Jackson Hole, Wy. and much of the year am getting out locally hiking, biking, and birding. There is a big number of local bike paths here all over in the valley. This next year am thinking of going on some long bike tours in the nearby states and counties at times. Never saw this thread before. I love biking. But also do agree that bikes should continued to be excluded from wilderness. There is so many remote dirt and gravel roads and paths here all over the American West.

You sound like you are in love.
Heh... um, no, why would I ever fall in love with a bike? That would just be weird!

But really, its the first bike I have ever owned that I actually believe looks great. A lot of bike companies seem to chose shades of either black, red, or vomit for their paint. Take, for instance, my Santa Cruz Chameleon that comes with purple lettering on what can only be described as baby puke green.

LRM_EXPORT_335468936074964_20191026_171521361.jpeg

That's a cool bike and I understand falling in love. My first MTB was a Klein Rascal. I took that thing everywhere, rode the White Rim several times, rode most of the 4X4 passes in the San Juans, rode it to work everyday over a gnarly 4x4 road, then ended up taking it up Aconcagua and Everest (at least in my deranged over-endorphined mind). I sold it to my brother and he's still riding it and gets lots of interesting comments from those in the know. It's a legendary bike and beautiful and I regret selling it to him and now he won't sell it back.

Oh, and it's black and red. :) And they now sell for more than I paid ($1200) and are called vintage (ouch).

Last edited: