Big Agnes Tent Durability

Jackson

I ❤️ GYE
I think I'm going to be ordering a new 2-person backpacking tent in the next few days. I loved my Stratospire 2, but I'm thinking of going back to something that can be pitched freestanding because I'm convinced the tension needed for a good pitch on the Stratospire accelerated the degradation of the fly zipper teeth. Anyway, I'm between the TT Double Rainbow DW and some of the Big Agnes options in roughly the same price range. A complaint I've seen before for BA is that the mesh and nylon they use is thin and tears easily. But I know BA tents are extremely popular, so I'm also wondering if those concerns are overblown. Anyone on have experience and care to share?

I have 3 Big Agnes tents (Copper Spur) and the material is thin, but I have had no problems with them with over 10 years of regular use. I always use a footprint. I did have some zipper issues on one of them and sent it in to Big Agnes to have it repaired.

I dont put nearly the nights in as Intrepid but I’ve had a 1p and 2p for quite a while and only problem is that after maybe 6 years or so I have noticed the elastic thread that keeps tension inside the tent poles has become slack on the 1p. Otherwise no issues durability or otherwise. Copper Spur are great tents.

I have the 1p and 3p Copper spur. I like them because they strike a good balance of weight and durability. My 1P is my favorite tent Ive ever owned.

If you plan on using it for 2 adults you may want to go up to a 3. The copper spur has a taper to your foot end. I had to take my 2 p back and get a 3 because it was too tight for my teenage son and me.

I had a tear in the mesh of my BA Copper Spur 2. Sent it in to BA to be repaired and they sent me a new tent.
So their warranty is amazing if it does tear.

Use a 1 person copper spur for several years, no problems. I did use some care due to the light material but never had problems. I also used a footprint with it.

This is all exactly what I'm looking for. Thank you everyone for the responses!!

I think I'm going to be ordering a new 2-person backpacking tent in the next few days. I loved my Stratospire 2, but I'm thinking of going back to something that can be pitched freestanding because I'm convinced the tension needed for a good pitch on the Stratospire accelerated the degradation of the fly zipper teeth. Anyway, I'm between the TT Double Rainbow DW and some of the Big Agnes options in roughly the same price range. A complaint I've seen before for BA is that the mesh and nylon they use is thin and tears easily. But I know BA tents are extremely popular, so I'm also wondering if those concerns are overblown. Anyone on have experience and care to share?
Send it back to TT ....... they fix it, should be free maybe?
I had the TT original rainbow for about 15 years, then I bought a TT Bowfin which I have now

Send it back to TT ....... they fix it, should be free maybe?
I had the TT original rainbow for about 15 years, then I bought a TT Bowfin which I have now
I'll reach out to them and see. I set it up in the yard and tried to fix the zipper today, actually. I think marginally improved it. Gonna try some zipper wax soon too.

I just figure that between the messed up zippers, holes in the floor, and some tears in the mesh, it may be more worth my time and money to just buy a new one. Haha.. But can't hurt to see what they say about zipper repair/replacement.

I'll reach out to them and see. I set it up in the yard and tried to fix the zipper today, actually. I think marginally improved it. Gonna try some zipper wax soon too.

I just figure that between the messed up zippers, holes in the floor, and some tears in the mesh, it may be more worth my time and money to just buy a new one. Haha.. But can't hurt to see what they say about zipper repair/replacement.
On zippers they usually get wider. Get some pliers, pinch each side of the pull tab carefully...if you get it to tight pry wider with screwdriver. Ive fixed many I thought were goners...

When you call TT ..... tell them you love the tent and hate to get something new....smoos...... even $50 is better than $400 for new

From TT site:

We stand behind every Tarptent and will make every effort to repair or replace products that fail due to defects in workmanship or materials. Repairs will be done on a “non-profit” basis and there is an estimated $30 repair charge for normal wear and tear repairs. Zipper replacements and other major repairs will be assessed at higher rates.

Zipper problems are almost always zipper sliders spreading apart due to accumulated dust and grit in the zipper coil. Zipper sliders can be crimped back together or are easy to replace and we are happy to send you new ones. Please refer to the slider replacement instructions and contact us for new sliders.

All repairs must be “ordered” by clicking the repair link and filling in your information. We will not accept returns for repair which have not been ordered.

I've got the 3 person Big Agnes Tiger Wall and the material is so thin and feels pretty delicate. I always use a footprint and I don't think I would use it without one. It has probably only been used for 25 nights so far and I have really babied it but it still has quite a few small holes in the mesh and fabric. the holes are really small and not causing issues but it just has to been treated pretty carefully. I could see how you could easily get a bigger tear.

We have the Copper Spur UL3 from way back in 2015 or earlier and only now don't use it because we upgraded to a Duplex. I found it to be durable, I bet there is some pinholes in the bug mesh, but I wouldn't sweat about buying from them.