Best way to learn canyoneering

Laura

freespirittraveler
Bill posted the most amazing shots of rappeling in Pine Creek in Zion on flickr-how do you learn canyoneering? Are there intro classes (like we have with rock climbing here in SoCal)? My boyfriend and I would really love to learn but not sure where to start, and we want to do it safely so we don't wind up a tragedy like what recently happened in the Subway. Suggestions anyone?

there are lots of guiding companies in zion that do 1-3 day courses. also, i believe ATS in SoCal used to do classes, but I'm not sure if they still do.

I have one of Bill's photos hanging on my wall as of last night. Love it!

Class is a great way to start and you are lucky, there is a pretty good group through Meetup that gets together on a regular basis to practice and do canyons in Southern California. http://www.meetup.com/ACA-Canyoneering/

If you take a class I recommend having some weekends right after the class set up for canyoneering right after you learn how so you can practice what you learned. I did my class back in May and then nothing until this month and forgot so much of what I learned.

G
Class is a great way to start and you are lucky, there is a pretty good group through Meetup that gets together on a regular basis to practice and do canyons in Southern California. http://www.meetup.com/ACA-Canyoneering/

If you take a class I recommend having some weekends right after the class set up for canyoneering right after you learn how so you can practice what you learned. I did my class back in May and then nothing until this month and forgot so much of what I learned.

Great suggestions, and I'm going to take all of them! I will be in Blanding next summer so can do that one, the meet-up group has a San Diego chapter and boyfriend and I have decided to take a Zion vacation next spring to start classes. Thanks so much, can't wait to start!!

You will be addicted in no time! When you come to Zion let me know. Maybe we can connect.

You will be addicted in no time! When you come to Zion let me know. Maybe we can connect.
Perhaps we should do some beginner-friendly backcountrypost canyoneering outings. I think we have enough skilled and willing people to lead some canyons...

Cool, I'm up for both! Right now I'm thinking late May for the canyoneering trip and planning to stay a week. Let's keep in touch on this and work out the details as the time gets closer.

Perhaps we should do some beginner-friendly backcountrypost canyoneering outings. I think we have enough skilled and willing people to lead some canyons...

that would be a nice addition to the other outings.

Anyway, I will definitely take a class next year, too.
When is the best time to take it? I thought of Spring break, but then again there will eventually a gap until I can use the learned skills again...
Maybe not, depends where in Utah I'll end in January.... :whistle:

depends where in Utah I'll end in January.... :whistle:

For the stuff you like to do Southern Utah is the bomb... just saying. I think you are leaning North and you will be spending every free minute headed South. :giggle:

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
Devin Ashby Best Cedar Mesa/Bears Ears Guide Books? Trip Planning 8
ghsmith76 Looking for best multi-day Backpacking Trips near Livingston, MT Trip Planning 6
Parma The Best Arch in Utah is... General Discussion 20
forest dweller The best / ideal conditions/ criteria to backpack with a stranger / allow a stranger to backpack with you... General Discussion 6
forest dweller What do you think is the best way to meet other SERIOUS backpackers when you only backpack once or twice a year and... General Discussion 52
Nick Best of 2019 General Discussion 48
Perry Exploring above Cataract Basin - One of the Best Seats in the House Hiking & Camping 1
Nick Best of 2018 General Discussion 43
Outdoors24 Best computer for picture/video editing? General Discussion 26
Vegan.Hiker A Personal Best (ascent) - Pemi Loop, WMNF Backpacking 23
T Best practices for upcoming trip General Discussion 4
JDWalters Best time to photograph Zebra Slot? Trip Planning 3
Upgrayedd Best place to live? General Discussion 46
IntrepidXJ Meet the woman who knows Bears Ears best General Discussion 106
B Best Time of Year for Backpacking the Uintas in Utah Trip Planning 15
Perry Leona Spring Trail to UHT - A New Personal Best Day Hike Hiking & Camping 2
B Best Alternatives to the Sierras Backpacking 12
kimbur96 Best lens for backpacking? Photography 14
Kelin Best Route to Alpine Lakes? Trip Planning 4
Jimmy Best Backpacking Near Phoenix/Scottsdale? Trip Planning 1
JoshuaDyal Best San Juans hike Trip Planning 0
LarryBoy Best ranges for off-trail travel General Discussion 11
Langdon Greene 2016 might be your best chance to do Wonderland (Rainier) Trip Planning 2
muir_mountain Best Backpacking in early June Trip Planning 12
Mike Jones Best UL Mountain Hardwear Rain Jacket Gear 2
SwimsWithTrout Best time of year for San Rafael Swell/Cedar Mesa ? Trip Planning 4
Nick Best Packrafting Paddle Gear 8
Mike K Best Backpacking Pillow Gear 16
T Best place to backpack the Bob Marshall? Trip Planning 17
WasatchWill Best Cell Phone Camera: iPhone, G4, S6, or Other? General Discussion 6
Chuck the Mauler Best dual use camera? Photography 6
uintahiker What is the Best 3 day trip in the Uintas? Trip Planning 17
balzaccom Your best shot General Discussion 2
natylka Advice on the best lightweight sleeping bag for backpacking. Gear 27
natylka Advice on the best light backpacking tent Gear 39
Scott Chandler Help with the Best of the CPW Photography 9
jmerkley9 Best Car Camping - Uintas Trip Planning 2
Laura My tent shot is the featured photo for Best of May 2014 Photography 8
Antlerking Gear Review Best Hiking Briefs Gear Reviews 15
DrNed Best Hikes in Canyonlands Trip Planning 8
D Cedar Mesa to Hanksville, best day hike options? Trip Planning 3
Tater Head It was the best of times, It was the worst of times... General Discussion 6
Nick Best easy day hikes around Salt Lake General Discussion 25
Aldaron Best hike in the Uintas General Discussion 2
Aldaron The best part of BCP General Discussion 6
slc_dan Best Book for Hiking in the Uintas? Trip Planning 11
Nick BCP wins 'Best Adventure Blog'! General Discussion 16
uintahiker Aravaipa Canyon- what end is best? Trip Planning 2
Nick Album Best of 2012 Photography 45
intuitive cat what was your best/most satisfactory new gear this last season? Gear 18