Best Packrafting Paddle

Nick

-
What's the best packrafting paddle on the market right now? I'm looking for the lightest and able to break down into 4 pieces. So far I'm seeing the Aquabound Sting Ray and Manta Ray in carbon 4-piece models but not much else. At least not on Amazon, REI, NRS, Backcountry, etc. What say ye packraft masters?

Werner has some four-piece versions but it seems very few places stock them. I'm interested in this topic as well.

Yeah, I haven't been able to find those in-stock anywhere. And I think they're like $400 or something, right? That might be pushing it...

Yeah, I haven't been able to find those in-stock anywhere. And I think they're like $400 or something, right? That might be pushing it...

Werner stuff can get pricey but they have some really solid options in the $200-300 range.

i paddle a 4 piece Werner Sherpa, you can find them for $300. Its more of a whitewater paddle.
That Aqua-Bound 4 piece carbon looks good for general purpose floating.

I've used an Aqua-Bound 4 piece carbon as my packraft paddle. I think it's the Splat. It's been great except that the middle two pieces always seize up and get stuck together.

i know nick got hte aqua bound, but being a tiny person in a tiny boat i am concerned about weight. i have found these two that i am looking at: opinions? i know they are for more flatwater, but i'm not planning on doing anything super extreme. the kokopelli recommmended a paddle 190-200cm for me. here are my options...

Alpacka ninja - $115, 196 cm, 15oz , 4 pcs https://alpackarafts.com/product/ninja-paddle/
Supai adventure gear paddle - $150, 4or 5 pcs, 200cm, 12 oz!! http://supaiadventuregear.com/shop/paddle/

i really don't want to get anything heavier, but i also don't want to be taping a paddle back together on day 2 of a six day trip. any thoughts?

how tall are you @colefeet ? You might find the 200cm paddle to be too long. I'm 5'4" and use a 196cm for packrafting, 190cm for whitewater kayaking. Are just planing on paddling flatwater/easy class 2, or more?

The Ninja looks good. My only complaint about 4 piece paddles are all the places sand can get in there and gum up the springclips and sticking together, but so far its a small price to pay for packability.

how tall are you @colefeet ? You might find the 200cm paddle to be too long. I'm 5'4" and use a 196cm for packrafting, 190cm for whitewater kayaking. Are just planing on paddling flatwater/easy class 2, or more?

The Ninja looks good. My only complaint about 4 piece paddles are all the places sand can get in there and gum up the springclips and sticking together, but so far its a small price to pay for packability.

i'm 5'2", and would prefer the shorter paddle, but it seems a bit difficult to find anything that is NOT 200cm. i'm looking at more class II and below, and would probably only do sections with higher rapids if i could hike around them for now - i'm not much of a rafter as of yet... whitewater is not my thing unless someone else has the oars and i've got a giant cooler of beer.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
Devin Ashby Best Cedar Mesa/Bears Ears Guide Books? Trip Planning 8
ghsmith76 Looking for best multi-day Backpacking Trips near Livingston, MT Trip Planning 6
Parma The Best Arch in Utah is... General Discussion 20
forest dweller The best / ideal conditions/ criteria to backpack with a stranger / allow a stranger to backpack with you... General Discussion 6
forest dweller What do you think is the best way to meet other SERIOUS backpackers when you only backpack once or twice a year and... General Discussion 52
Nick Best of 2019 General Discussion 48
Perry Exploring above Cataract Basin - One of the Best Seats in the House Hiking & Camping 1
Nick Best of 2018 General Discussion 43
Outdoors24 Best computer for picture/video editing? General Discussion 26
Vegan.Hiker A Personal Best (ascent) - Pemi Loop, WMNF Backpacking 23
T Best practices for upcoming trip General Discussion 4
JDWalters Best time to photograph Zebra Slot? Trip Planning 3
Upgrayedd Best place to live? General Discussion 46
IntrepidXJ Meet the woman who knows Bears Ears best General Discussion 106
B Best Time of Year for Backpacking the Uintas in Utah Trip Planning 15
Perry Leona Spring Trail to UHT - A New Personal Best Day Hike Hiking & Camping 2
B Best Alternatives to the Sierras Backpacking 12
kimbur96 Best lens for backpacking? Photography 14
Kelin Best Route to Alpine Lakes? Trip Planning 4
Jimmy Best Backpacking Near Phoenix/Scottsdale? Trip Planning 1
JoshuaDyal Best San Juans hike Trip Planning 0
LarryBoy Best ranges for off-trail travel General Discussion 11
Langdon Greene 2016 might be your best chance to do Wonderland (Rainier) Trip Planning 2
muir_mountain Best Backpacking in early June Trip Planning 12
Mike Jones Best UL Mountain Hardwear Rain Jacket Gear 2
SwimsWithTrout Best time of year for San Rafael Swell/Cedar Mesa ? Trip Planning 4
Mike K Best Backpacking Pillow Gear 16
T Best place to backpack the Bob Marshall? Trip Planning 17
WasatchWill Best Cell Phone Camera: iPhone, G4, S6, or Other? General Discussion 6
Chuck the Mauler Best dual use camera? Photography 6
uintahiker What is the Best 3 day trip in the Uintas? Trip Planning 17
balzaccom Your best shot General Discussion 2
natylka Advice on the best lightweight sleeping bag for backpacking. Gear 27
natylka Advice on the best light backpacking tent Gear 39
Scott Chandler Help with the Best of the CPW Photography 9
jmerkley9 Best Car Camping - Uintas Trip Planning 2
Laura My tent shot is the featured photo for Best of May 2014 Photography 8
Antlerking Gear Review Best Hiking Briefs Gear Reviews 15
DrNed Best Hikes in Canyonlands Trip Planning 8
D Cedar Mesa to Hanksville, best day hike options? Trip Planning 3
Tater Head It was the best of times, It was the worst of times... General Discussion 6
Nick Best easy day hikes around Salt Lake General Discussion 25
Aldaron Best hike in the Uintas General Discussion 2
Aldaron The best part of BCP General Discussion 6
slc_dan Best Book for Hiking in the Uintas? Trip Planning 11
Nick BCP wins 'Best Adventure Blog'! General Discussion 16
uintahiker Aravaipa Canyon- what end is best? Trip Planning 2
Nick Album Best of 2012 Photography 45
intuitive cat what was your best/most satisfactory new gear this last season? Gear 18
Dan Best Camp Shoe - What's the lightest and most versatile? Gear 51