Best Camp Shoe - What's the lightest and most versatile?

I bought a pair of knock-off crocs at the Wally World in Las Cruces, NM a few years ago. They cost me $4.00 and weigh 8.8 oz for the pair (size 10.5ish). You may be able to go a shade lighter, but but you sure can't beat the price!

None.... Don't want to carry any extra. Loose lace my hiking boots when in camp or barefoot

I just use an old pair of flipflops for camp, I can do short wanderings/hikes in them if I want and the pair weighs ~6 oz. I hike in trailrunners and just get my feet wet for creek/river crossings.

Good option. The Xero Z-lite is far more packable than Croc-likes. Size 10 was measured at 13 oz by an Amazon customer. Does lack toe and side protection for streams with sharp granite. Have a pair of knock offs at 9.5z. Had to add an elastic strap since they didn't have the rubber one like Crocs. I envy those that can use trailrunners to backpack rough off-trail conditions with temps 20-40 in the mornings. Use them for dayhikes and overnighters in warmer conditions though. Can't beat 0 oz for camp/stream-crossing shoes. @Bob That was exactly what I do if no wading is needed. I use GTX mids (impossible to find non-GTX that fits) for most trips so need to have something for stream crossings like near Ross Lake. Looked like you were up to your waist in Joey's video!

I think there's a good argument to be made for auxiliary shoes in certain shoulder season conditions. I did the Ozark Highlands Tr in March a few years ago during a cold snap. Highs around freezing and lows in the teens for the first 4 days. If I had to do stream fords in my hiking shoes, it was cold enough that frostbite was a real possibility.

I guess what I'm saying is that even for the most dedicated minimalist, camp shoes sometimes have their place.

I've been packing a pair of these from Walmart on a lot of my trips lately.

They do weigh 11 oz for the pair, but they've become a luxury item I'm willing to carry. Just this week, I used them for a creek crossing. I had a long uphill section to get up to a pass right after the crossing as part of a 15+ mile day and didn't want to be doing that with water soaked shoes and socks, so it was worth a minute to change into them for the crossing and they're super comfortable for wearing around camp and for answering any nature calls in the middle of the night.

They do weigh 11 oz for the pair, but they've become a luxury item I'm willing to carry.
Hard to beat that price too! Nice to have the protection on upper foot. Maybe if this thread gets bumped again in a few years there will be a 6 oz/pair made using carbon fiber soles with thin rubber tread for traction, a lightweight flexible top that protects the upper foot, compresses for transport and a single-pull cord lock for secure fit.

I use Xero Z trail, but they have lighter options under 7 oz for men.
Huh. I have the Z-Trails, too, but don't keep up with that stuff, and hadn't seen the Z-Trek.
My Z-Trails are 317g/11.18oz for the men's size 10.
<7oz would be mo' betta!

I got them for camp shoes and/or infrequent water crossings. With frequent water crossings, I just get my shoes and socks wet, then use the sandals in camp.

I like the idea of camp shoes, but the reality is that I only carry them on specific occasions. Certainly not toting them around for a week in dry conditions.
They'll go on an overnighter next week, though, since I'm planning to camp by a swimming hole.

I think there's a good argument to be made for auxiliary shoes in certain shoulder season conditions. I did the Ozark Highlands Tr in March a few years ago during a cold snap. Highs around freezing and lows in the teens for the first 4 days. If I had to do stream fords in my hiking shoes, it was cold enough that frostbite was a real possibility.

I guess what I'm saying is that even for the most dedicated minimalist, camp shoes sometimes have their place.
For sure! Similar conditions to what you described-the shoes and socks I took off were frozen solid by the time I made camp and got a fire going. Think I could have used some insulated booties instead of just dry socks and sandals, but it beat being wet and freezing.
20181128_080918.jpg
:D

Huh. I have the Z-Trails, too, but don't keep up with that stuff, and hadn't seen the Z-Trek.
My Z-Trails are 317g/11.18oz for the men's size 10.
<7oz would be mo' betta!

Uh oh, did I enable your shopping again? LOL

Yeah, they had the lighter pair when I bought my Z trails, but I knew that I would be HIKING in them, so I wanted the extra support. If I was just going to use them as camp shoes, I would definitely go with that thinner sole.

No worries, you didn't cost me any money!:p
I haven't even ordered those pouches you tempted me with, because the friend that half of that order was going to be for switched packs on me!

No worries, you didn't cost me any money!:p
I haven't even ordered those pouches you tempted me with, because the friend that half of that order was going to be for switched packs on me!
I would recommend Merrill Hydromoc’s im a size 16 and they’re 14oz.
I hike to fish and use these for both wading and camp.
they're a bit pricey but I can’t be as picky with my size feet.