Best Backpacking Pillow

Mike K

My wife and I have been looking at pillows for backpacking. I currently stuff clothes (usually my down jacket) in this:

UltraLite_Pillow_Case.jpg

It works alright but I'm curious to see if I'd like an inflatable better. More support, etc.

I'm looking for a light weight option so the contenders seem to be:

Sea To Summit Aeros Pillow Premium - 2.8 or 3.7 oz.
Seat To Summit Aeros Ultralight Pllow - 2.1 or 2.5 oz.
Exped Air Pillow UL - 1.6 or 2.1 oz. (@Nick gave it a big thumbs down for slipperiness)
Exped Air Pillow - 2.6 or 3.2 oz.
Klymit Cush Seat/Pillow - 2.89 oz

From another thread I know several of you (@steve , @Nick, @Opi , @IntrepidXJ, @Miss Buffalo maybe @gnwatts) have the Klymit pillow.

Is the Klymit pillow the hands down winner? Anyone else have any thoughts?

Is the Klymit comfy as a seat cushion and will it hold up?

I usually just ball up a fleece or other jacket but recently I bought the Klymit pillow; I only used it on one trip but it was nicer than not having it. At that price and weight there's no harm trying it out.

I stuff my puffy (profile pic) into a fleece pillow case. If I feel like it I have a Quixote travel down pillow to add support. We added Velcro to keep the flap shut and it works great.

For a seat I use the Big Agnes cyclone SL chair. We paid considerably less than the $65 price tag :eek:

Nick I have the same ear problem and found the kush's ear divot to be a good solution. Also it's not slippery or smelly.

Good stuff guys, thanks. I agree, for the price (around $12), the Klymit is definitely worth a try. If I'm going to like an inflatable it sounds like the Klymit is the one.

I have an Exped pillow pump. I've tried to a few times but it always seems to end up slipping to the side of my head so I always go back to my sleeping bag stuff sack filled with a down jacket.

So, IMO you are on the right track with that little bag thing you have.

I have an Exped pillow that I love. I have found that the key to having it not move around as much is to not inflate the pillow all the way. It is also much more comfortable this way. The new Sea to Summit pillows are very nice and have a cotton cloth feel on the face. They will be introducing some awesome ones that weigh about 4 oz. and are the size of a real pillow for 2016. I saw them at Outdoor Retailer and was very impressed.

I really like my exped but I haven't tried the other ones you mentioned. I also have a green one called a "cacoon ultralight". That one's totally fine, but I like the shape and valves of the exped better, giving it a slight edge.

I do like the Klymit pillow. I use it on my longer trips only. I don't inflate all the way and I wrap my puffy jacket around it. It does slip around a little but so do my other pillows. I use my old Kelty synthetic pillow (~6.5oz) on my shorter weekend and overnighters, it's just a little more comfy and I like a few luxuries on shorter trips. I have not tried any of the other inflatable pillows.

Exped Air Pillow. Side sleeper. 2 months continuous, 3 months total sleep nights. No complaints at all.

Wayne

Sent from somewhere around here.

I have a small down pillow from Western Mountaineering that I love, I usually put some fleece under it for more support.

My wife and I have been looking at pillows for backpacking. I currently stuff clothes (usually my down jacket) in this:

View attachment 36974

It works alright but I'm curious to see if I'd like an inflatable better. More support, etc.

I'm looking for a light weight option so the contenders seem to be:

Sea To Summit Aeros Pillow Premium - 2.8 or 3.7 oz.
Seat To Summit Aeros Ultralight Pllow - 2.1 or 2.5 oz.
Exped Air Pillow UL - 1.6 or 2.1 oz. (@Nick gave it a big thumbs down for slipperiness)
Exped Air Pillow - 2.6 or 3.2 oz.
Klymit Cush Seat/Pillow - 2.89 oz

From another thread I know several of you (@steve , @Nick, @Opi , @IntrepidXJ, @Miss Buffalo maybe @gnwatts) have the Klymit pillow.

Is the Klymit pillow the hands down winner? Anyone else have any thoughts?

Is the Klymit comfy as a seat cushion and will it hold up?
Hay, thanks for the pillow case Idea. I took the pillow case from a crappy synthetic camp pillow and stuffed it with my down jacket. I tested it out over the weekend and it worked great. It is much better than a nylon stuff sack or an air pillow. In the real world or camping you can't get any better than an a firm 800 fill down pillow.

Hay, thanks for the pillow case Idea. I took the pillow case from a crappy synthetic camp pillow and stuffed it with my down jacket. I tested it out over the weekend and it worked great. It is much better than a nylon stuff sack or an air pillow. In the real world or camping you can't get any better than an a firm 800 fill down pillow.
I use a fleece pillow case and stuff my puffy inside. It's better, generally, than my pillow at home. I did sew velcro on the opening to keep my puffy from trying to escape. It also helps keep the pillow fluffy yet firm! :D