Beehive Traverse - Through the Heart of Capitol Reef's Waterpocket Fold

Don't like ads? Become a BCP Supporting Member and kiss them all goodbye. Click here for more info.

Trip Reports
Holy Moly! What an insane read. Thank you very much for putting so much detail into pictures and writing. The first nights camp had an Incredible view, along with the picure right before the selfie stop, and Blow Sand Canyon. An awesome read! I am going to watch the video asap.

Don't like ads? Become a BCP Supporting Member and kiss them all goodbye. Click here for more info.

Trip Reports
Amazing stuff there! Thanks for sharing the experience with us. I've hiked a few of the frontcountry trails in Capitol Reef, but your trip reports make me want to go back and explore the park in more detail.

WasatchWill

Ready For More
Trip Reports
Thread starter #23
Oh my gosh! This is a fantastic description - in words and photos - and I loved learning the history behind your experience with this trip. Yet another incredibly beautiful and fascinating place to explore in Utah!
Thank you! Utah is definitely full of fascinating landscapes as is so much of the West.

Holy Moly! What an insane read. Thank you very much for putting so much detail into pictures and writing. The first nights camp had an Incredible view, along with the picure right before the selfie stop, and Blow Sand Canyon. An awesome read! I am going to watch the video asap.
Thank you! The video shows off more of that first nights camp, but I really enjoyed the latter two spots.

Amazing stuff there! Thanks for sharing the experience with us. I've hiked a few of the frontcountry trails in Capitol Reef, but your trip reports make me want to go back and explore the park in more detail.
Thanks! Most of those front country trails in the park lead to some really cool features and views, but now that I've experienced all much solitude I have, it's something I often crave now and Capitol Reef provides seemingly endless opportunities for off trail exploration to obtain that without leaving any trace other than footprints in sandy washes. Just got to be mindful of cryptobiotic soil in spots.

misSOULa

wilderness n whiskey
Trip Reports
Fantastic report and thank you for the info you gave me about Capitol Reef. Can't wait to check out the NP next month!

Trip Reports
Thank you! Utah is definitely full of fascinating landscapes as is so much of the West.

Will, your post has stayed on my mind, and I searched Beehive Traverse online and came across Steve Howe's website for guided trips there. We've now added this trip to our long list of places we want to go in the future. We really loved our 3-night 4-day Boulder Mail Trail & Escalante River trip from last April (I never posted a trip report, though) and it seems that these two trips have some similarities. Even though we prefer going without a guide, it seems that Beehive Traverse is beyond our ability to do independently. How nice that you live in that fabulous area and can frequently explore these wonderful places!

Trip Reports
Welp, that settles it. Trip Report Of The Year. Terrific photos, terrific commentary, terrific route. Thanks for putting together this writeup Will. What a great adventure!!
Will for President!!! (and all your backpacking dreams will come true)
(Yes that is Napoleon Dynamite reference, well sorta).

Last edited:

WasatchWill

Ready For More
Trip Reports
Thread starter #29
Welp, that settles it. Trip Report Of The Year. Terrific photos, terrific commentary, terrific route. Thanks for putting together this writeup Will. What a great adventure!!
Thanks Larry!

Trip Reports
Awesome trip report. The Beehive Traverse has been on my shortlist for a couple of years now. It has now risen to the top.

The grandparents are flying up to watch our kids and we're heading down late March to do the traverse with Steve. Can't wait!

Trip Reports
Awesome trip report. The Beehive Traverse has been on my shortlist for a couple of years now. It has now risen to the top.

The grandparents are flying up to watch our kids and we're heading down late March to do the traverse with Steve. Can't wait!
I talked to Steve on the phone yesterday about our interest in doing this. He said he now has 3 trips lined up in March. You must be one of them!

Trip Reports
I talked to Steve on the phone yesterday about our interest in doing this. He said he now has 3 trips lined up in March. You must be one of them!
Oh geez, I was guessing it would blow in popularity but not that quickly!

Miya

Because I am able.
Trip Reports
Congratulations to you and @Devin Ashby on completing such a journey!

I loved seeing so many things, all the colors, the Henry Mountains, Tillamook cheese, the reflections, that toad, and more!!

Thanks for sharing it with us!