Bechler Trail Yellowstone Planning for September

DownPour

We have 5 nights and 6 days on trail permit. We are going in at the Bechler Ranger Station and doubling back to pick up my vehicle at same location. First campsite is 9A2, depending on when we start in the day, we may make camp, drop packs and go up to Silver Scarf and Dunnada Falls or we will does this next morning. I read somewhere about a "Picnic Point" over looking Hodgey north of the falls (hoping someone has some information or experience with this location as I am not sure it is worth the extra mileage there and back). Second night is at 9B4 where it looks like we need to cross the river and possible follow the Ouzel creek to get to Ouzel Falls. North of our Ouzel Falls campsite will be Colonnade Falls which we may visit same day and double back to our campsite afterwards. Third day, we hike up to 9D2 which will be our most northern campsite on this trip and our longest mileage day. I am planning on stopping at Iris Falls on the way as a break destination as it appears to be close to half way on this day. Depending on the time we reach 9D2, we plan on setting up camp then going up to see Twister Falls or possibly Mr.B's for a soak. 4th Night, we are starting our double back trip and staying at 9B9 or Albright Falls. I thinking Mr. B's and/or venturing down the Ferris fork to see the other falls (Gwinna, Sluiceway, and Wahhi) not sure and not sure if they are worth it but I think we will have the time to do something. Finally campsite is back at Ouzel Falls then out the next day. In-sites to this area or other site destinations along the trail worth visiting? Yes, we are spending a lot of time on this one hike but we are not fast moving hikers. We were there last year and started the trail from the other direction only to turn around due to the Sow Griz and cubs located at/near one of our campsites. It was the camel the broke my wife's back as her backpack simply was not fitting her properly any way and was having a rough time carrying it. I was no spring chicken either to say the least. But with a new backpack for her and a dramatic weight loss for me, and some gym workouts, we hope to make it more enjoyable this trip. So any insider info would be great....... Thanks, Also, which is better to access the Trail Head? Idaho or from Grassy Road South entrance of park? We are coming in from the East entrance of Park most likely.

Last edited:
Definitely visit the Bubbles hot spring, one of the finest wild hot springs in the region. I'd take Grassy Lake Road over to Cave Falls Road. It's a little slower driving but shorter miles than going through West Yellowstone and turning south. Going in one way and out the other lets you max out the scenery tour.

Definitely visit the Bubbles hot spring, one of the finest wild hot springs in the region. I'd take Grassy Lake Road over to Cave Falls Road. It's a little slower driving but shorter miles than going through West Yellowstone and turning south. Going in one way and out the other lets you max out the scenery tour.
After thinking about it, we will be coming off a week hike in the Tetons because of that we will be coming in from the South. I have 4x4 with good ground clearance. MR. B's is definitely on the list at least one day if not two. Thank you for the info and reply.