Bears Ears is in Bloom!

Stephanie B

Steph and Blake
It was my intent to label to each species (a way to force myself to finally learn the names of the different flowers), only to find that we don't have a "flower book" for the southwest. This will be remedied! Any suggestions on which book to get?

P1040341.JPG
P1040361.JPG P1040348.JPG P1040381.JPG P1040396.JPG P1040419.JPG P1040425.JPG P1040435.JPG P1040469.JPG P1040560.JPG P1040409.JPG P1040512.JPG P1040546.JPG P1040463.JPG

Attachments

• P1040346.JPG
    P1040346.JPG
    520.1 KB · Views: 14
  • P1040551.JPG
    P1040551.JPG
    531.6 KB · Views: 13
  • P1040396.JPG
    P1040396.JPG
    317.7 KB · Views: 12
Gorgeous! Gorgeous! Gorgeous!
Such unique flowers (to me). Thanks for sharing! Those purple ones, with a horn...look like a unicorn, just saying..

Great pics! Re: books, I’m kinda down on most “wildflower” books because they usually leave out way too many species. Part of my work is making species lists for project areas so here’s my go-to plant resources:

1) An actual comprehensive key. Welsh’s A Utah Flora or Ackerfield’s Flora of Colorado. Can be a bit overwhelming at first but you learn a lot and it’s the only way to nail down a lot of species.

2) https://www.swcoloradowildflowers.com/ has an impressive number of species, multiple picture, good search function, and good descriptions. This is usually enough to ID most things and is kinda what you’d hope a wildflower book would be.

3) http://swbiodiversity.org/seinet/ has maps for all herbarium specimen collections as well as high res scans of collected specimens. It’s a perfect check to see if your plant in question occurs where you found it as well as seeing lots of examples of that species. the search on the site isn’t great but I usually just google “(species) seinet” and it’s your first hit.

4) Utah Wildflowers app. Impressively comprehensive number of species, though it doesn’t have much info or descriptions for some species. Great resource in the field though for checking maps and a few pics. https://www.wildflowersearch.org/search?page=Apps

Last edited:
Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
fossana Bears Ears NM draft Resource Management Plan open for public comment until 6/11/2024 General Discussion 5
Devin Ashby Best Cedar Mesa/Bears Ears Guide Books? Trip Planning 8
Janice Winds - Bears Ears Trail? Trip Planning 6
J Short time in Greater Bears Ears. Couple Dayhikes April 5 and 6, 2021 Hiking & Camping 5
gnwatts BLM Oil and Gas lease auction, Arches, Canyonlands, Bears Ears etc. General Discussion 5
fossana Bullet Canyon/Sheiks Canyon loop (Bears Ears NM) Hiking & Camping 5
Artemus PUBLIC COMMENT - Bears Ears and Grand Staircase Escalante Management Plans General Discussion 19
IntrepidXJ Meet the woman who knows Bears Ears best General Discussion 106
J Bears Ears National Monument, Utah! Dayhikes April 18-21, 2017 Hiking & Camping 0
SKLund Bears Ears: Jamming Government to Gulch Backpacking 1
Nick Bears Ears National Monument General Discussion 279
uintafly Bears Ears Coalition General Discussion 5
TheMountainRabbit News Release: Yellowstone National Park increases protection for bears and visitor safety by implementing changes to two bear management areas General Discussion 14
balzaccom Bears Repeating General Discussion 0
Laura V. Bears in Salt Creek Canyon, Canyonlands Trip Planning 76
balzaccom Which would you prefer: bears or boars? General Discussion 0
regehr bears in Jarbidge Range? Trip Planning 2
T Grizzly bears in Wind River Mountains Noobs: Introduce yourself! 12
NorthwestWanderer 5 Day Olympic National Park On & Off trail expedition (6 bears) Backpacking 10
NorthwestWanderer Route Finding adventure, Copper Pass to Blue Lake - Goats, Bears, Lions, Oh my! Backpacking 3
Rockskipper The bears are definitely out near Ennis, MT General Discussion 3
P Bears and hyperphagia and hiking question General Discussion 9
Nick Going tent-free with bears? General Discussion 9
b.stark Maze 2017-But seriously, where are Steve's gummy bears? Backpacking 7
DrNed Six Year Study of Bears General Discussion 2
Perry Uinta Highline Trail: Food and Bears. General Discussion 39
Tomcat Bears General Discussion 54
HomerJ The Truth About Bears - Backpacker Mag General Discussion 1
Nick Bears in The Sawtooths General Discussion 8
Nick Salt Creek Bears General Discussion 3
Nick Yellowstone Bears Attacking Humans For Food? General Discussion 14
leatherman Food and Bears General Discussion 22